What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League returns: English clubs should forget NRL and turn on the style in 2017

Godeangogogogo

Juniors
Come on, Super League, entertain us!

As much as rugby league remains 'the greatest game' to its thousands of devotees, there is a sense that the sport at the top level needs some of its flair back.

And it's up to the players and coaches to act on their licence to thrill as the new campaign arrives.

There has been a growing grumble in recent years that Super League has lost its zip - that the skill factor has often been missing.

Rugby league has always evolved to mirror success and Australia's NRL is the market leader on the field with its adherence to highly disciplined structure and low-risk plays.

But should that be the English way?

The game over here used to pride itself on its risk-takers and chance-makers. But percentages, position and possession have been the prevailing mindset of late.

But at least two Super League coaches will buck the trend in 2017.

And both have a chance to lead their sides to silverware to re-establish the prototype of invention and entertainment as a way of winning matches and competitions.

Castleford Tigers have already courted plenty of admirers with their approach to the game under coach Daryl Powell.

And Powell will remain fixed on putting smiles on faces when he sets up his side for a much-fancied crack at success this year.

"I think sport should be entertaining," says Powell. "When you talk to players, you want them to be excited about how you play. For me it's a crucial part of coaching.

"It needs to be effective, don't get me wrong, but I want the players to show what they can do.

"We work so hard on skills on such a consistent basis that there's no point working so hard on those skills if you don't try to exploit them to break defences down.

"We work our backsides off to be able to create things and look like we're an entertaining team.

"All coaches have their own different opinions and that's fine - we're all different. But for me, I think there's a way the game should be played.

"I genuinely enjoy watching us play."

And with England heading to the World Cup at the end of this year, Powell also firmly believes that putting adventure ahead of conservatism is the only way to tame the Kangaroos and Kiwis.

"We're different to Australia. We're not going to beat them at their own game, there isn't a chance. So for me I think we could be a blueprint," he added.

'It isn't just winning, it needs to be done in a certain style'
'Entertainment First' is a philosophy that Warrington coach Tony Smith is also keen to expound.

The Wolves have been catching the eye with their fluency in recent years - a style that won them the League Leaders Shield and got them to two finals in 2016.

And he would love to see more clubs playing the same way.

"The styles that us coaches bring in, or influences from other competitions, maybe stifle our game," said Smith.

"I think we've got to understand what we want as an entertainment and we've got to make our rules and regulations fit to that standard.

"We need to make sure we produce something that people out there in the stands want to watch and enjoy.

"It isn't just about winning, it needs to be done in a certain style. We're trying to be a bit more expansive this year and hopefully we've got a bit more creativity in our ranks."

Mimicking the NRL is not the only way to success. Even the Aussies would agree.

Former coach and Channel 9 pundit Phil 'Gus' Gould recently tweeted: "English football has lost its identity. It has spent the last 30 years trying to play like Australia. How's that plan working?"

Maybe 2017 could be the year the Super League regains its identity, with some breath-taking thrills and spills along the way, and gets us all smiling all the way to the Grand Final.

Source: BBC Sport
Dave Woods is spot on. Too many Super League clubs have tried to follow an NRL template regarding playing style. Hopefully the likes of Warrington, Castleford & Wakefield continue to buck the trend but we need other clubs to follow suit.

T-Boon

Coach
Castleford Tigers look great. Thats the way Rugby League should be played.

If even 5 or 6 teams in the NRL played with that philosophy the game would be much stronger.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sadly a structured play style with little risk will beat a flamboyant style 8/10 times. I wish they could find ways to change the rules to reward risk rather than penalise it but that would need a radical game change.

T-Boon

Coach
Sadly a structured play style with little risk will beat a flamboyant style 8/10 times. I wish they could find ways to change the rules to reward risk rather than penalise it but that would need a radical game change.

The NRL has got to bring in that "free play" rule. It will not change everything but a lot of the Castleford Tigers play revolves around attacking straight away no matter where they are on the field - like a counter attack.

Free play encourages that.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Yawwwn.

The ideas that
1) Super League is more exciting than NRL
and
2) Dumb high risk footy (aka constant knock ons) is better to watch

are both nonsense.

Castleford are enjoyable to watch because they are good at what they do.
Wigan play a different style, closer to what people have decided is 'boring NRL style' and are good to watch because they are good at what they do.

Penrith played dynamic, risky footy last week... and were an absolute ordeal to sit through, because they constantly dropped it or worse passed it straight into opposition hands.

T-Boon

Coach
Yawwwn.

The ideas that
1) Super League is more exciting than NRL
and
2) Dumb high risk footy (aka constant knock ons) is better to watch

are both nonsense.

Castleford are enjoyable to watch because they are good at what they do.
Wigan play a different style, closer to what people have decided is 'boring NRL style' and are good to watch because they are good at what they do.

Penrith played dynamic, risky footy last week... and were an absolute ordeal to sit through, because they constantly dropped it or worse passed it straight into opposition hands.

Interesting opinion that I think would be shared by a small minority.

Castleford are way better to watch then Melbourne Storm or numerous other very good NRL sides. I simply don't watch Melbourne games whereas I will now follow Castleford's season closely. It has reinvigorated my enjoyment of the game. As has the Ipswich Jets.

Castleford's style would also appeal to neutrals (fans of other teams not involved in the game) and possibly even attract none RL fans. The first criticism I always hear of the game of RL is there are too many hit-ups and not enough passing.

The best competition would be if there was an equal mix of the two styles.

adamkungl

Immortal
Interesting opinion that I think would be shared by a small minority.

Castleford are way better to watch then Melbourne Storm or numerous other very good NRL sides. I simply don't watch Melbourne games whereas I will now follow Castleford's season closely. It has reinvigorated my enjoyment of the game. As has Ipswich Jets.

Castleford's style would also appeal to neutrals and possibly even attract none RL fans. The first criticism I always here of the game of RL is there are too many hit-ups and not enough passing.

Roosters Tigers Panthers (when they're on) Raiders Warriors Eels all play attacking focused footy in recent times.

That kind of football is a lot harder to play successfully when faced with constant pressure - and so it should be.

Which to be perfectly honest, Castleford won't get in SL compared to what the above teams face. Which is why Warriors collapse every second week, Panthers didn't have the toughness to go all the way last year, and Roosters imploded.
Remains to be seen whether Castleford can sustain what they're doing, hopefully they can.

I feel sorry for people who can't appreciate how Melbourne or Cronulla play the game - it's tough and uncompromising, and you clearly only enjoy one side of the game. They put themselves into a good position first and foremost, on ruthless defence and attention to detail (something sorely lacking from most SL teams). Then they unleash their attacking weapons, of which they have (or had) numerous.

Many have tried to emulate Melbourne and basically all have failed - why? Because the imitators equate smart football with boring football. 85% completion rate doesn't mean anything if you don't have the attacking streak to finish the job and actually get over the line.

One thing you're right about, the style of play in Origin the last few years. Why - because NSW tried to imitate QLD/Melbourne but can't do it anywhere near as well. The rules aren't the issue, dumb coaching is.

T-Boon

Coach
I feel sorry for people who can't appreciate how Melbourne or Cronulla play the game - it's tough and uncompromising, and you clearly only enjoy one side of the game.

I dont think you need to feel sorry for them as there is plenty of other sports to watch and they just opt out. Its why I watch a lot of American sport now.

T-Boon

Coach
Roosters Tigers Panthers (when they're on) Raiders Warriors Eels all play attacking focused footy in recent times.

I am an Eels fan so I know for a fact our style is pretty boring these days. Brad Arthur brought it from Melbourne. Its better than losing but I'd rather be winning playing that Daniel Anderson 09 style any day.

I agree the Panthers and Raiders are playing an attractive style.

T-Boon

Coach
So you prefer watching ads to RL defence?

I don't watch the ads. Just veg out or whatever. Like cricket. NBA, NFL is on at times when I have work to do anyway so the breaks are ok.

But RL defence has been boring as hell for years now (maybe it always was) - especially since fighting, shoulder charges etc have been forbidden. There is hardly any play making on defence - "tackle" stats are meaningless. It looks ugly because its not tackling anymore (a skill you could at least appreciate).

The only thing I want my team to do during defence is not concede. Whether that be points, penalties or line breaks. Penalties is the main thing you are thinking about "no penalties, no penalties"...Everything else you are just waiting for your turn with the ball again.

In American Football you have to make plays to get the ball back. Sacks, TFLs, interceptions, strips, forced fumbles or whatever, pass deflections.

League defence is more like soccer defence. You just want the ball back and you will get it soon enough if you are disciplined.

But anyway if you like it good on you. I am just here being positive about Castleford's style and I don't mean their defence.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm a Storm fan and whilst I enjoy seeing wins some of our play is dead set boring! We are a weird team, play boring boring boring for 60 minutes and 20mins of amazing attack, all be it still structured. We score some great tries and you have to admire the training that goes into them but you'd never call us an off the cuff team!

deal.with.it

Juniors
I still think that the problem is the defending team is allowed to move up before the dummy half has picked the ball up. It means the half back has less time to be creative. The NRL needs to instruct the referees and coaches of a change to the interpretation of the rule. Players must wait until the dummy half touches the ball before the move. Watch the game tonight. As soon as an attacking player looks like playing the ball the defence starts to move up.

roughyedspud

Coach
Cas look so good cos they have a halfback coaching team..Powell,Danny Orr and Ryan sheridan...All 6 or 7s!!!

Most other clubs have forwards as coaches,England's main "coaches" are former forwards,Anderson,betts,,Scully etc...

England's best ever performance,down under in 2014,we looked awesome despite losing close games to Oz & NZ...We had Paul deacon,former GB, oldham,Bradford & wigan halve..As the England attacking coach....That's the key imo

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cas look so good cos they have a halfback coaching team..Powell,Danny Orr and Ryan sheridan...All 6 or 7s!!!

Most other clubs have forwards as coaches,England's main "coaches" are former forwards,Anderson,betts,,Scully etc...

England's best ever performance,down under in 2014,we looked awesome despite losing close games to Oz & NZ...We had Paul deacon,former GB, oldham,Bradford & wigan halve..As the England attacking coach....That's the key imo

It's a shame we lost Shaun Edwards to union, he could have been a great attacking rl coach.

deluded pom?

Coach

Orr and Sheridan I'll give you. Powell was a centre even though he played at six later in his career. Scully was a six sometimes ;)

Latest posts