What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League Sponsor

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Only a rumour at this stage re. Super league

Doesn't really bother me, plenty of leagues and teams in the UK have prominent gambling sponsorship. Australia is a bit different in that on top of the sponsorship their is a bigger stigma and it's more in your face during broadcasts which turns a lot of people off

new boss

Warrington CEO Roger Draper has been appointed to the newly created role of chief commercial officer and Super Leagueexecutive director, Mark Foster will take on the role of Super League general manager permanently and Tony Sutton will join the organisation as director of finance and facilities.

Draper, who is currently chief executive of Super League Club Warrington Wolves, was formerly chief executive of the LTA (Lawn Tennis Association) between 2006 and 2013 and of Sport England between 2003 and 2006.

As part of his new role, Draper will take a position on the RFL Board and will be responsible for all activity undertaken by the commercial, marketing, communications, ticketing and events teams.

As the public face of the Super League, he will also work closely with the Super League board and Super League clubs to help with their continued growth and success off the pitch.

CEO of the RFL Nigel Wood, said: “We are delighted to have recruited and retained three exceptional individuals to the senior team at the RFL.

“In appointing Roger, we have secured one of the most accomplished sports administrators in the UK.

"He is not only experienced in running a high performing National Governing Body but also has first-hand knowledge of leading a world-class Rugby League club.

Roger has almost 15 years’ experience of working at the very top in British sport and we know that he will bring a wealth of knowledge and understanding to this important role.

“Rugby League and the Super League competition in particular have much to be proud of and I am certain Roger will help continue to get that positive story out to grow all aspects of our sport be that revenues, supporter, viewers or participants.”

A former England students RL international, Draper was responsible for growing turnover at the LTA by 45% and more recently has overseen a major transformation programme at Warrington Wolves both on and off the pitch.

Draper, said: “I am delighted to be joining the RFL at an incredibly exciting time for the organisation.

"The role is an important and challenging position and one that I feel will enable me to add real value to the sport of Rugby League.

“I have spoken at length with Nigel and believe that my experience within the club environment and at other successful NGB’s will help continue to move this organisation forward.

“Whilst I am of course sad to be leaving the Warrington Wolves and in particular the Board, staff, players and fans behind, I am excited to be joining another forward thinking and successful organisation and I can’t wait to get started in December.”

As part of the new senior structure, which includes the recent addition of rugby director Kevin Sinfield, Mark Foster has been promoted to the position of Super League general ,anager.

Foster, who will report into Roger Draper, will focus on working with the Super League clubs to manage high profile events such as the Magic Weekend and the Super League Grand Final and to help with their work off the field, particularly on new and more innovative ways to engage with fans.

Foster will continue to lead the marketing and communications functions.

Following the departure of Sue Allan in August, Tony Sutton has been appointed to the role of director of finance and facilities.

Sutton has previous experience of working in Rugby League at Hull FC, where he was chief operating officer until 2014. He is currently chief operating officer at Hull Colleges Group and will begin working for the RFL in early 2017.

Wood said: “Hopefully these significant announcements will demonstrate that we are determined to continue to move our sport forwards in a very positive way, following quickly on the back of other high profile appointments this year.

"I am confident that Roger, Mark and Tony all have the necessary skills and experience to help us do this and I am certain that their appointments will strengthen our sport in the coming years."

http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_23819-rfl-reveal-new-super-league-management.html

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-l...sponsor-super-league-for-the-next-three-years

The betting company takes over from First Utility, whose three-year contract ended after last Saturday's Grand Final at Old Trafford.

The announcement marks a complete U-turn by the governing body, coming five years after Super League clubs voted narrowly to reject an offer from Betfair thought to be worth £750,000 a year.

Now betting companies will have their names attached to both major competitions, with Ladbrokes sponsoring the Challenge Cup as well as the 2016 Four Nations Series.

The deal with Betfred, who also sponsor the World Snooker Championship, is thought to be worth between £850,000 and £900,000 a year, compared to around £750,000 a year from First Utility.

Super League chief executive Nigel Wood said: "Betfred is a well-recognised household name and I am delighted to welcome them to the sport as the new title sponsors of the Betfred Super League.

"I have met with owner Fred Done, who is passionate about rugby league and we look forward to working closely with him, everyone at Betfred and our member clubs to continue to increase the visibility of our sport over the next three years.

"Finally we would also like to pass on our sincere thanks to First Utility for their support of rugby league for the previous three years."

Betfred, which opened its first betting shop in Salford in 1967, are the seventh different title sponsor of Super League since its formation in 1996 under the backing of Stones Bitter.

Betfred boss Fred Done said: "Next year will be Betfred's 50th birthday and what better way to celebrate than by becoming title sponsor of the Betfred Super League!

"I am delighted to sign such a high-profile deal and, having met with Nigel Wood and his team, I truly believe that we are a perfect fit for Super League where we will hope to match the real passion displayed by the fans, players, media partners and everyone involved throughout rugby league."

UK-based bookmakers Betfred will become the title partner of Super League for the next three years.

Betfred will have naming rights to the BetfredSuper League in their 50th year of trading and will be showcased at grounds across the country in front of more than two million spectators each year.

The brand will also benefit from featuring across TV and radio through Super Leaguepartners Sky Sports, BBC TV, BBC 5Live Radio and talkSPORT.

Love Rugby League exclusively revealed weeks ago that First Utility would end its naming right sponsorship of Super League and that Betfred was one of the leading candidates to replace them.

RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood said: “Betfred is a well-recognised household name and I am delighted to welcome them to the sport as the new title sponsors of the Betfred Super League.

"Building on increased financial investment from the previous title sponsor, Betfred is the latest major company to recognise the advantages of associating their brand with Rugby League and shows the strength of our sport in the commercial market.

"I’m sure this new exciting partnership will bring great benefits to both parties.

“I have met with owner Fred Done, who is passionate about Rugby League and we look forward to working closely with him, everyone at Betfred and our member clubs to continue to increase the visibility of our sport over the next three years.

“Finally we would also like to pass on our sincere thanks to First Utility for their support of Rugby League for the previous three years.”

The deal, which will begin in 2017, will complement Betfred's other partnerships which include being UK horseracing’s biggest sponsor and their current sponsorship of the Betfred World Snooker Championships.

Topping the list of the North West’s Top 200 Businesses for the fourth year running, Betfred has previously supported the game for a number of years at club level and in a number of advertising campaigns and they are committed to assisting Super League in driving the competition’s profile.

Betfred boss Fred Done said: “Next year will be Betfred’s 50th birthday and what better way to celebrate than by becoming title sponsor of the Betfred Super League.

"I am delighted to sign such a high profile deal and, having met with Nigel Wood and his team I truly believe that we are a perfect fit for Super League where we will hope to match the real passion displayed by the fans, players, media partners and everyone involved throughout the Rugby League.”

Betfred will become the official Super League title partner from 2017 – 2019
http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_23832-betfred-confirmed-as-new-super-league-sponsor.html

imagesource.php

Betfred Boss

roughyed8

Juniors
Is it another Lewis like appointment? Bang your head against a brick wall for a couple of years and then return to tennis?
Not sure if he would be welcomed back there according to some posters on TRL he did not leave on the best of terms. But if he can increase revenues by 45% as he did at the LTA then he will have done a good job.

deluded pom?

Coach
It's quite rare in this day and age for the RFL to replace a sponsor so quickly. They usually dither around and make an announcement a week before the season starts. I have to commend them for once.