Super XIII

Discussion in 'French Rugby League' started by Foreign Legion, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Foreign Legion

Foreign Legion Bench

Super XIII

With a view to eventually building a professional league, the Federation has developed a vertical pyramid of Elite 1 competitions for the upcoming divisions next season. The Elite 2 will be divided into two east / west hens. Brewing will be carried out in the other divisions, prior to assignment of teams in level pools. The clubs will provide a list of 20 players required to play in Elite 1. The other players may start the season with the reserve teams under certain conditions. A logic of "pools of players" is advanced to strengthen the professionalism of the clubs. The same player can thus "slide" from one division to another in the various teams involved in his club. Lastly, contracts of appointment of 2 years are envisaged.

http://www.lindependant.fr/2017/04/30/rugby-a-xiii-l-elite-en-mode-super-league,3010561.php

The Daddy3 likes this.
  2. The Daddy3

The Daddy3 Juniors

A French pro league should look something like this to begin with and then add 4-6 northern teams over time.

Catalan Dragons
    TO
    Avignon
    Aude Cathares
    Aquitaine Leopards
    Albi Tigers
    Lyon Rhone-Villebaune
    Marseille

hutch likes this.
  3. miguel de cervantes

miguel de cervantes First Grade

4. Foreign Legion

Foreign Legion Bench

Really hope this gets off

5. Foreign Legion

Foreign Legion Bench

6. East Coast Tiger

East Coast Tiger Coach

I didn't realise it was supposed to be a regional comp with every region represented. I thought it was just some current clubs with franchises set up in Paris and Marseilles etc, which seemed ambitious but not necessarily impossible with two or three investors to back the expansion clubs.

But this... I can't see how this could possibly work. It's like some fan's fantasy. They'd need tens of millions per year, maybe hundreds. And that's before you consider players, paying fans etc.

The Daddy3 likes this.
  7. Foreign Legion

Foreign Legion Bench

Totally agree a little to ambitious also I think it is a 3/4 month comp like the big bash. .
    http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/307637-frances-super-xiii-details/&page=2

8. East Coast Tiger

East Coast Tiger Coach

Yep seems to be a big bash style comp. Except with 13 teams they must at least play each once so it's not just a few weeks. How will the elite clubs view this? They'll be supplying players in their offseason and playing second fiddle. A lot of questions.

9. jim_57

jim_57 Juniors

Doesn't look like much thought was given to starting conservatively. Wish them all the best but this is up there with some of the best "pie in the sky" stuff.

From what little I have heard of the man though he has some credentials but I really don't see how all this works. Main obvious concerns:
    • 13 teams makes it hard to condense in to pools.
    • Are Elite players going to be able to play an extra 3 months
    • Money/Sponsorships/TV
    • Stadiums
    • Little to no League in the Northern regions
    • Perpignan, Toulouse & Aude repped by same regional team.
    Good luck is all I can say.

The Daddy3 likes this.
  10. miguel de cervantes

Seems to me a lot of the players will be union leftovers and alsorans. See partnership with Provale.
    Clubs will surely be aligned with soccer clubs.

11. miguel de cervantes

Rather than a serious roots based league comp it is more a league exposition big bash style. Who knows?

jim_57 likes this.
  12. miguel de cervantes

Another thing - notice the first article is in lemonde .... that is rare indeed for league in France.

Secondly...the gist with Provale seems to be let's get some union guys playing league, even if only for 13 weeks, and this will make them better union players. Interesting gambit.

Now, a lot will be against this, but league in France has very little left to lose with this approach. I'm pretty sure if the thing ever got any traction the drawbridge would be lifted very quickly.

13. adamkungl

adamkungl Immortal

13 regions seems very tough to pull off when the vast majority of leaguies are in 2 or 3.

14. titoelcolombiano

titoelcolombiano Juniors

Man France is frustrating - either take the Elite 1 clubs and add some big city franchises to it and go pro with that or continue to feed clubs into the English system until there are enough strong pro clubs to form either a pro French league or a French conference in SL. It's not that hard - maybe Eric Perez needs to give them a lesson or two.

15. miguel de cervantes

The idea is to get union guys playing league by the looks of it. Plenty of them twiddling their thumbs in France.

16. StadiumXIII

StadiumXIII Juniors

Far too ambitious if this doesn't work the only teams who I believe should be part of a professional setup are. 8 teams could be a good start, expansion could happen every 2 years, add maybe an Italian team in there and some more Northern teams Lille, Nantes and it could start shaping up. If this does workout and grow however good luck to the FFR13.:
    Albi
    Avignon
    Carcassonne
    Catalans
    Lezignan
    Lyon
    Montpellier
    Paris
    Toulouse

17. Foreign Legion

Foreign Legion Bench

Need villenueve in the mix but yout pretty much nailed it