What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surely it is time for the NRL.....

smithie

Juniors
I don't know if I want to get involved in this argument because loudstrat has some valid arguments but lets look at Green Bay which has a population of only 306k and a hugely successful team in the Packers.

Having said that I don't think it's time for CQ. Ipswich is the fastest growing region in the country and should be given a franchise with WA Reds in 2013/2014.

Ipswich was the fastest growing region, but their rate of growth has dropped significantly in the last couple of years and the floods have brought it to a grinding halt. The outer suburbs of Melbourne is now the fastest growing area, followed by Perth.

_Johnsy

Referee
I don't get the Ipswich push. IMO it's a waste of time. The 2nd brisbane team (& it needs to be a 2nd BRISBANE side) needs to be based out of Suncorp.

The NRL have said countless times that all bids must demonstrate community engagement, a solid business model and add to the over all pie. As it stands regarding the QLD bids only CQ has engaged the community. Brisbane Bombers have done nothing to deserve a team, they are just sitting there with their hands out waiting for a free ride. Ipswich have also gone very quiet. W.A. has the biggest job of all, they are not only bidding for a license but trying to grow the game in the entire state!. The Central Coast Bears are unchallenged in community engagement, solid business model and have shored up their position to add to the overall NRL pie. Too many people on here expect things without working for it! Bugger that off, you want it, you get down and work as hard as you can for it. If you can't demonstrate the hardyards in the bid stage then what happens if you're given a team and they perform poorly? Without the insurance that you're willing to get your hands dirty now, how can you prove to the NRL that you'll do it when you deadset have to? (eg. if the brand/team is failing?)

Dots on maps is irrelevant now, it all comes down to determination and hard work. If the communities accept you fully then the bid will already be strong before a license is given. Meaning more time to be spent on other important aspects.

smithie

Juniors
I don't get the Ipswich push. IMO it's a waste of time. The 2nd brisbane team (& it needs to be a 2nd BRISBANE side) needs to be based out of Suncorp.

Thank you. Someone else with some common sense. Ipswich would never be able to get the sponsors or corporate support that a second Brisbane team could get. There is no doubt there are more potential Brisbane II fans than potential Ipswich fans.

Dragon2010

First Grade
I'd replace cronulla with at least one Brisbane club. We need at least one game in Brisbane every week. Why keep 5000 members of the tshirt brigade happy when we can get 30,000 more brisbanites sinking their support into league.

LOL no. So what you hillbillies up North have more of a reason to piss on seats? Seriously you got three teams Sydney diversified when ut did and die to the growth patterns to the NRL we have more, they all have supporters and the likes too now. With the IC there is no reasons to punt clubs. How about we punt a few QLD teams?

In the future the IC will make sure clubs won't get the pint or run a bust hopefully. We need the amount of teams we have NSW is aassive place and the uproar it would cause If one club folded. You diversify and expand the game by putting more national and regional teams km not taking them away.

Brisbane don't need more
Sydney don't need more

Go to Perth or somewhere else. Damn QLD'ers cry about everything.

rednblack

Juniors
You know what the problem is? We are have a hybrid competition - half Sydney suburban, half national. That has to end. We can't have 9 teams in a city of 4.6 million playing in front of small crowds with people standing on hills ffs. It's time to look to the future, not the past.

So who gets dropped...?

To my mind, there are only 2 ways to fairly do this...

Either a) ALL teams (not just sydney-based teams) are subject to entrance criteria, and the most suitable ones are selected from all bids. This, in theory, could see us with MORE NSW teams, and LESS from interstate. Or b) you disband ALL current teams and start again with new clubs in locations selected by the new IC, in exactly the same way that the FFA "created" the A-League. All NSL teams were dropped, and the current ones were manufactured. Everyone will nay-say this prospect, since by necessity it will involve losing their own club. However, it seems to be the only fair way to make the decision. Anyone who truly is a RL supporter will still follow their new "local" team, will they not? It has certainly worked for the FFA!
If not following one of these options, then any consolidation/expansion will inevitably be achieved using objective, passionate arguments, rather than what is truly best for the game, "looking to the future".

Ausguy

Coach
its all pie in the sky stuff...

the nrl will not force a relocation nor will it drop a club

it will be natural selection

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL seem committed to ensuring all existing clubs survive and are sustainable. With the IC effectively being controlled by those existing clubs i don;t see it changing anytime soon. What that means for growth and expansion I am not sure. I doubt the game is strong enough to sustain a 20+ team comp so I guess we will never fully realise the potential to bring in places like PNG, Adelaide and Wellington.

smithie

Juniors
The NRL seem committed to ensuring all existing clubs survive and are sustainable. With the IC effectively being controlled by those existing clubs i don;t see it changing anytime soon. What that means for growth and expansion I am not sure. I doubt the game is strong enough to sustain a 20+ team comp so I guess we will never fully realise the potential to bring in places like PNG, Adelaide and Wellington.

This is the greatest fear. The inmates cannot run the asylum.

I was at the Ipswich Cup this year, the weekend the Dragons played the Broncos.

Some things once seen, can not be un-seen.

The horror....

horror.jpg

Ipswich = Souffs 2.0

maple_69

Bench
I don't know why this is so damn hard.

Admit 6 more teams, not necessarily all at once. 1 NZ team, 1 Brisbane team, 1 Central QLD team, 1 Central Coast team, 1 team in Perth, 1 team in Adelaide/PNG.

Put those guys in 2nd tier, relegate the bottom 4 teams in the NRL in 2014. Then the new teams don't have the enormous pressure of being competetive in the NRL straight away, and naturally the teams with better support, money, organisation, will rise to the top without canning 100 years of history.

You also get the benefit of a 22 round home and away season and could then look at things like a Challenge Cup with all 22 teams involved etc etc.

RHCP

Bench
Australia can't support a promotion/relegation system, it's too f**king big.

How is a second tier Kiwi team going to be able to afford flying across the ditch every second week?

Perth Red

Post Whore
P&R would be a nightmare, could you imagine going from being a $18mill a year club to a $3mill a year club becuase you had a bad year on the field?

Only way it could work would be if the NRL could fund a 2nd tier with a grant system that equated to around $3-4mill ayear, which they can't and won't ever happen.

Loudstrat

Coach
I think they are.

Bullsh*t. The storm have also led to the NRL being able to get fairly significant ratings for SOO, GF's and international games in Melbourne.

The storm being in the game is much more valuable to the NRL than the sharks being in the game. Hell the storm are more valuable to the NRL than probably any individual Sydney club. The fact that you even consider the sharks more important shows how insular and delusional you are.
Who knows? Do you know what the Sutherland Shire brings to the game? I cant give you a figure past home games. I cant give you TV ratings, Pay TV revinue or whatever. I do know that the average Hobbit would be far more likely to watch RL than the average Melbourneite. I also know that Melbourne's Pay TV ratings do not blitz everyone elses, although from what I can gather Storm games are well watched. That might have something to do with no FTA. Might also have something to do with AFL fans watching Storm games as a filler.

Despite that, the whole f*cking point escapes you. And that point is that the bottom Sydney clubs are certainly not on their pat malone down in the cellar.

Well in a way it's already happening as junior numbers have increased in Melbourne by a decent amount. If you mean when will we see Victorian born players in the NRL well it shouldn't be too long seeing that there is one playing for the Australian school boys. There are a few who look like they will make it soon.
Is that better than Cronulla who constantly produce FG players?

I'm sure a Tokyo NRL side propped up by News Ltd would eventually produce a junior too.

Again the storm are not propped up by news ltd in the way that you imply. The storm bring in more revenue than the sharks. The extra money from news ltd just allows the club to spend like the broncos. Without this money the storm would still be better off than the sharks.
Debateable point. News Ltd gave them $12 million per year - this came to light when the salary cap breach was investigated. No Leagues club grant is anywhere near that size. Why do Melbourne need it?

Besides, Melbourne's revinue helps Melbourne. You say it contributes to the game - it actually doesnt, apart from what they bring to TV rights. Their jersey sponsorship only helps them. So using their sponsorship to indicate their value to the NRL is as stupid as using Parra's leagues club grant or Benji's third party sponsorship.
I already said the storms crowds have been disappointing and hopefully they will improve (i'm confident they will). That doesn't make the sharks better off financially or more valuable to the NRL.
Again, debateable. We won't know he value of the Sharks unless either there is a clear breakdown of all the relevent data that we are able to get with - for instance - NZ, or if they go and we measure the size of the hole they left. Just like we did with the Bears, Chargers and Reds.

We do know 2 things. 1) Cronulla are not going anywhere, unless Ausguy's worst case scenario kicks in. 2) There is not a bid, or a potential bid, big enough to warrant any current club being punted.

Yes and your point doesn't make sense. Melbourne are worth far more to the NRL than the average Sydney club and that's why no one suggests they should be punted.
Wrong. No one suggests they be punted because there is no anti Melbourne agenda you f*cking gronk!!!!!!!

You know what the problem is? We are have a hybrid competition - half Sydney suburban, half national. That has to end. We can't have 9 teams in a city of 4.6 million playing in front of small crowds with people standing on hills ffs.
It's ok genius. Newtown are not playing in the NRL.

And if there are ever "small crowds", people wouldnt have to stand on the hills, they would sit.

You exemplify everything that is brainless about the "decimate NSW" argument.

1) Not all small crowds are from NSW clubs. Clubs from every state, territory and provence got below the average. And you also know what? Only ONE NON NSW CLUB got above average.
2) Your goal is to have a national comp. We have been an INTERNATIONAL comp for 17 seasons! Did you not watch the f*cking grand final?

Thank you. Someone else with some common sense. Ipswich would never be able to get the sponsors or corporate support that a second Brisbane team could get. There is no doubt there are more potential Brisbane II fans than potential Ipswich fans.

Can anyone tell me why someone would support Brisbane II when they don't support Brisbane I?

At least Ipswich can be classed as new, unrepresented territory. A second Brisbane side playing out of Lang Park is as f*cking stupid as a second Manly side playing out of Brookie!

Latest posts