What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Survivor Series

mackdadday

Juniors
Thought the world title match was pretty crap but it made me chuckle seeing Roman only have the title for about 3 minutes. No idea why they thought Sheamus was the way to go though when they planned this show.

Terrible to see the Wyatts get pretty easily dispatched when they could be such a strong group.

I laughed at how Roman was doing the crying and going for the sympathy vote and the way he stood up, it seemed like when a wrestler was looking for a standing ovation or something, but all I could hear were boos.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Yeah, that's the second time Wyatt has been fed to Taker. Wyatt's really should have gone over to give them a big push.

Yep. I can't even tell whether to blame Undertaker's legendary ego or Vince's legendary hard-on for a near sixty year old man who can barely move anymore.

He needed to go over at one of those shows, and then the Wyatts needed to get a win back. Survivor Series, despite its nostalgic link to Taker, was the perfect opportunity to give the Wyatt's their win by having Kane eat the fall.

This was a horrible, lazily booked show.

Reigns is getting the Danielson storyline from 2 years ago, screwed by The Authority.....soooooooo lazy, the fact the f**king Authority still exists 2 f**king years later is lazy enough let alone pulling the title cash in after HHH hits the ring swerve AGAIN. Vince should retire, he's done.

It's particularly bone-headed because nobody wants to cheer for Roman Reigns. The crowd are just itching to boo him, and putting him in a feud with The Authority isn't likely to change that.

I don't know why Vince is so insistent on pushing people the crowd dislike when he has ready made stars who the crowd love. Ambrose would have been a far better person to snatch the win, eat the screwjob, and feud with the Authority.

I'd have had Ambrose win, Reigns spear him out of jealousy, and then let Sheamus cash in. Makes Reigns a heel, gives the Authority the rub, and sets up a feud between both Ambrose/Reigns and Ambrose/Triple H.

Better promos, better matches, and it lets Reigns be a rogue jerk heel.

How much do you think Vince is booking vs hhh these days?

Whoever is should get taken out the back and shot tbh

By all accounts, Vince is still very much in control up top. Triple H is largely unchallenged in running NXT, although Eva Marie's recent title shot has Vince all over it.

Big Pete

Referee
Out of all the routes the WWE could have chosen, putting the championship on Sheamus was easily the worst. Sheamus is a good hand who can work with just about anybody but he's been booked into oblivion and fans have been given very little reason to care. Perfect example was on the show itself where they had him look like an utter geek in the 5 on 5 Survivor Series match. First, he gets treated like a total jabroni for his 'get jiggy with these posers' comment and then the New Day leave him high and dry completely killing whatever interest there was in that match. He had absolutely no momentum as a singles wrestler and handing somebody a WWE Championship to give them momentum is one of the dumbest ideas I've heard. It's like the company doesn't practice what it preaches. How often have we heard Triple H say something to the effect that the 'champion makes the championship'? I know this was far from a unanimous decision backstage and wasn't decided until the final hour but they honestly should have just played it safe.

Clearly the idea is that by putting the WWE Championship on Sheamus, there is no way the audience will turn on Roman. I understand the rationale but it's like they're treating the sympton instead of the root problem. Fans can't shake the feeling that Roman is the chosen guy and is in fact the corporate champion. He's been force fed since the Survivor Series 2013 match where he completely annihilated everyone and when they've had moments where fans were willing to buy into him (Royal Rumble 2014, Money in the Bank 2014) the WWE didn't pull the trigger. I think they actually had it right the first time. Roman should have gone over on the show AND foiled the cash-in from Sheamus. Did you hear the pop he received when he speared HHH? The fans were cheering him in spite of themselves and with some careful booking would have been on board. Instead, they've basically made him look like a massive choke artist on two major shows. That's a hard impression to rub out and any momentum he would have had with the fans is slowly evaporating.

Further, it's clear judging by the ratings the Authority angle needs to be phased out and by basically repeating the exact same turn of events from over 2 years ago highlights everything that's wrong with the company. It's still the Triple H show, well after 16 years of having him as the main focal point.

I'm fine with the Brothers of Destruction beating the Wyatts. It wasn't like I went into the show expecting an upset, it was pretty obvious what the deal was going to be and the fans really got into it. It's clear that Taker has a huge match lined up for Mania 32, so giving him a win in a showcase tag team match which really didn't hurt anybody was fine.

Thinking back on it, I thought it was pretty dumb to have Owens and Del Rio involved in the championship tournament. It's an old hat complaint, but I don't think your IC and US Champion should be taking losses clean in the middle, unless they're dropping the championship. I agree with Meltzer here, they should have thrown in Bully Ray (the Dudleyz nostalgia run is over) and Big E (The New Day is the most over act in the WWE right now) and had them do the honors.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm fine with the Brothers of Destruction beating the Wyatts. It wasn't like I went into the show expecting an upset, it was pretty obvious what the deal was going to be and the fans really got into it. It's clear that Taker has a huge match lined up for Mania 32, so giving him a win in a showcase tag team match which really didn't hurt anybody was fine.

My issue with it wasn't them going over, it was the fact they'd spent the entire feud going over the Wyatts. What was the point?

Misanthrope

Staff member
To build up Taker for Wrestlemania after he did the honours for Brock.

Could still have achieved that by having had him go over Bray at both Wrestlemania and Survivor Series.

No reason he couldn't have been shown up a time or two during the build up given the numbers game.

Last week, they literally fought off all of the druids *and* made four Wyatt Clan members look stupid in the lead in to doing it again on PPV.

It's awful booking that only damages the Wyatts, and it's to build up a guy who doesn't need build. He's got enough of an aura about him that he could have not wrestled between Wrestlemania's and people would still be excited.

Big Pete

Referee
It wasn't completely one sided. Bray got two weeks of heat in before the Brothers of Destruction were treated like world beaters.

Parra Pride

Coach
Big E was too busy being involved with a nothing SS match that had absolutely zero build up to be in the tournament. :crazy:

When was the last time The Wyatt Family won a feud? If it wasn't for the fact they're so unique and I know they can offer so much, I would have given up on them a long time ago.

Misanthrope

Staff member
It wasn't completely one sided. Bray got two weeks of heat in before the Brothers of Destruction were treated like world beaters.

Yeah, before they paired up. As soon as two men teamed up, the four man Wyatt faction and their minions sure did look like they stood a chance.

Big Pete

Referee
I don't think it's right to cherry pick two weeks of build up.

The Wyatts got their heat and played their role in the Taker farewell tour. That's really all there is to it. Certainly nothing to get offended over.

Last edited:

Parra Pride

Coach
The opportunity was there to put Wyatt over huge what with him stealing the powers of Undertaker and Kane, and they squandered that opportunity to put over the guy who doesn't need to be put over. I can see the logic in Taker winning, especially if we are heading into his last 'Mania, it's just that what Wyatt could've gained out of a win there would have been massive.

Big Pete

Referee
Mmm...

I don't know if it would have been that huge. What does he do with a win like that? What's his next feud? He just went up against the chosen guy and lost in the penultimate match. He worked Cena two Manias ago and there really isn't any reason for those two to feud and we definitely don't need to see another Ambrose/Wyatt match so what does that leave? Sting/Wyatt? Taker/Wyatt II?

The WWE needs to build up some marquee matches and as unfortunate as it is, Taker is a bigger priority than Bray right now.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Taker sells himself. If it is a build to Mania, then they already have a storyline built in for having him over. He gets mysitical powers when he's at Wrestlemania. They've mentioned that power every year since at least 2011. So he could have lost a bunch but commentary could put him over saying Wrestlemania is different, he goes deep in the well, he's nearly immortal when feeding off the energy of the fans, whatever.

Remember, they had no problems jobbing out the Brothers of Destruction to the Shield. That didn't hurt anything. And no one needs to get on over after losing a series to Brock, he's Brock f**king Lesnar. Ain't no shame in losing to him, doesn't make Taker any weaker.

I don't even care. We're all gonna forget about these matches in 6 months, it was all a bit of a pointless nostalgia show outside the main event.

Big Pete

Referee
They've also been portraying Taker as weak since 2011 where Triple H pitied him (despite losing the match) and it's affected his perception with the audience. The Brock run left his character in an awkward position (is he a heel now?) so they had to even things out with a crowd pleasing showcase match.

This appears to be a finale for the Undertaker infront of a huge Dallas crowd. Shining him in the right light and making him to be a big deal instead of reminding everyone that he's a withered old man takes priority.

Valheru

Coach
The mind boggles… one of the poorer shows in recent memory and garbage booking to end the show. All of the aforementioned ideas in this thread from having Ambrose be the one to eat the screwjob to Roman turning heel and running with him as title were better than what the WWE delivered.

Vince obviously thinks that he can turn the crowd into cheering Roman via a feud with Sheamus, he obviously has not learnt his lesson with Cena. The crowd will still boo Roman.

In addition, the company looks directionless and starless in what is the alleged lead up to their biggest show of the year. The company really is in a hole at the moment, I can’t see a viable Royal Rumble winner on the active roster at the moment apart from Brock.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought it was a horrendously booked feud. Most mainstream reviewers were voicing the same concerns when the four man Wyatt faction got shown up at every turn by two old men, and the match went just as expected.

The Wyatts have now been made to look like idiots for the majority of the year. If it weren't for Wyatt's insane charisma and the talent of Harper, they'd have no credibility left at all.

The WWE needs to build up some marquee matches and as unfortunate as it is, Taker is a bigger priority than Bray right now.

This is a sad indictment of the WWE's current booking strategy. With Cena, Orton, and Bryan out - they're really struggling to find people to push into the spotlight. They seem to have forgotten how to make stars with their constant 50/50 booking and depushes, and those are are daring to get themselves over tend to get jobbed out a bunch to whatever flavour of the month Vince has a hard-on for.

Latest posts