What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swedish RL

playdaball

Bench
The following article appeared in today's Sunday News (NZ) Pg. 28:

"LEAGUE is set to hit Sweden.
A Swedish Rugby League Association is being set up.
Organisers have already advertised for coaches, players and administrators."

Is this is a joke or is it serious? I have not heard anything on the various RL sites.

dimitri

First Grade
do you have a link?

im not sure why they would have it in the nz papers and not ours???

playdaball

Bench
dimitri said:
do you have a link?

im not sure why they would have it in the nz papers and not ours???

No link as the Sunday News does not have a website. I quoted the article 'word for word'. It appeared in the Time Out section which contains various sports 'snippets'. It is written by the editor, Neil Reid.

Perhaps this should apper on the totalRL site? e.g. - English site being part of Europe.

SP

Bench
this sounds similar to the finland story from last yr (i think) on rleague, when it actually was the Finland Rugby (union) League or something like that

but it would be good if it were thrue though

yakstorm

First Grade
Holland is still running, they have had some problems, but they are still moving forward.

DIEHARD

----
Any luck with recongnition from the government over there? Do they still believe that Rugby League doesn't exisit? :roll:

Jeffles

Bench
The Dutch dilemma was not that Rl doesn't exist. It was that RL is separate to RU. The Dutch sports commission would not recognise the Dutch RL because "we ar only allowed to recognise one Rugby board".

It is possible that the Dutch RL can source funding from the Dutch RU. I think that's what Yanto is working on, though he's been a bit quiet of late.

joshreading

Staff member
I honestly think they should just change the name of RL over there. League Football that sounds great. They (in Holland) should also get a letter from Super League stating that in the future, with the growth of League in Holland would look to put professional sides in Holland. It might be a puff of wind but sometimes it is the potential of getting money that gets people giving money and recognition.

(Did you know that they actually started calling RL League football for a while in promotions in Australia in 1914?)

bazza

Immortal
It appears that the various 7s/9s tournaments being played around the UK and other parts of Europe has been quite good in getting interest from new league playing areas

Jeffles

Bench
1) A name change may not take away from the fact that our game resembles Rugby Union. Hence the Dutch Sports Commission may not be swayed by that.

2) I am opposed to a name change in English. We can call the game whatever we want. Support depends on REAL factors (money, motivation, etc).

YANTO

Juniors
Been quiet of late, correct Jeffles but never stopped working.
Look on the main page of this website to see the latest developments in Holland.
Working our butts of over here and BIG inroads are being made,learning as we go along but if "a man has never made a mistake that man has proberbly never made anything".
Holland is still moving forward believe me, and we believe we are hosting the biggest "development tournament" held in Europe for years.
Not for glory not for profit BUT FOR THE GOOD OF THE GAME.( a bit of profit would be handy though) ;-)

Latest posts