What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo Sauce

It’s a dumb question, so what better place to ask! I’ve been hunting for Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo Wing Sauce, and cant find it. Woolies used to carry it, but only carry their BBQ sauces these days. Anyone know where I can find it in Sydney? The closer to Hurstville the better (and not Costco).

beave

Coach
It’s a dumb question, so what better place to ask! I’ve been hunting for Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo Wing Sauce, and cant find it. Woolies used to carry it, but only carry their BBQ sauces these days. Anyone know where I can find it in Sydney? The closer to Hurstville the better (and not Costco).

Maaaate, that sauce is horrid. If you want buffalo sauce, you gotta use Franks hot sauce as your base and then throw a few extras in and blend it together in a saucepan. You can buy Franks in most Woolies these days in the small bottles which is good for about 1kg of wings (handy). When I’ve done 5-6kgs fry ups for parties n shit, that 1kg=1 bottle ratio is very handy.

PM me if you want a recipe........

OVP

Coach
Maaaate, that sauce is horrid. If you want buffalo sauce, you gotta use Franks hot sauce as your base and then throw a few extras in and blend it together in a saucepan. You can buy Franks in most Woolies these days in the small bottles which is good for about 1kg of wings (handy). When I’ve done 5-6kgs fry ups for parties n shit, that 1kg=1 bottle ratio is very handy.

PM me if you want a recipe........

Could you post the recipe here ? I wouldn't mind seeing it too. Cheers :D

beave

Coach
Haha.

Some of the qtys you need to tweak to your own taste.

Side notes-
So if you have a kilo of wings, make sure you cut the tips off and give to your dog/bin and then sperate the remaining bits with a meat cleaver or sharp knife. Don’t leave the whole wing intact, I’ve seen intact wings at so called american diners here in brissy and I just shake my f**king head at the server when they bring out my food. Massive pain in the ass trying to break up a hot wing covered in sauce.

Throw some wholemeal flour and garlic salt in a bag, coat the wings bits in oil and shake in the bag. You need to do this or the sauce doesn’t have anything to cling to. This is critical, over the years of making wings, I started off doing ‘naked’ wings and your just left with a plate of sauce at the end because it aint had anything to latch on to. Bite the bullet and coat them with wholemeal flour.

You have to use a deep fryer. Ovened/broiled wings are just not the same. If you have a deep fryer, fry them at max temp for 11mins.

For the Sauce-just put all this in a saucepan and bring to the boil

So this is for 1kg of wings that have had the tips removed, it’s really simple-

1 small bottle of franks hot sauce (i think they’re 200mls??)
Tobasco for heat/taste (Franks is not over the top hot so this spices it up a bit)
Cayenne pepper if you want to spice it up even more, I don’t worry about it but it’s an option
Apple cider vinegar- 3 tablespoons
Worchestershire sauce -1 tablespoon
Butter- 2 tablespoons (adjust up or down, some recipes ask for about 6 tablespoons for this amount of sauce, it doesn’t need anywhere near that much.)

After you’ve fried the wings, place some sauce in a bowl, add some wings, toss the wings in the bowl and serve. Don’t forget the ranch dipping sauce. Unfortunately our homegrown ranch sauce in Oz is woeful, Im lucky enough that I got to the states a lot for work and play so I always have a bottle or 10 of Hidden Valley ranch in my cupboard. It’s chalk and cheese when you compare it to the local made dross.

Easy as.

Enjoy. Let me know if you make them and if you like them lads.

Reactions: OVP

OVP

Coach
Awesome, thanks so much Beave. I really like how you use a small amount of butter as I've never ever been a fan of it my whole life. Every recipe i see, as you say, requires a truckload of butter and it's put me off big time.

A group of gaming mates of mine gathered at one of the crew's place on Phillip Island a few years back. One of the guys made buffalo wings, and they were superb, but another mate had a bottle of Ghost Pepper sauce which we added to the next batch. The ghost pepper sauce made them absolutely delicious, need to get a bottle again as I've run out of mine.

Cheers man, appreciated heaps :)

beave

Coach
All good mate, see how you go with it. heaps of recipes ask for myriad of things, I have tried everything and to be honest, sometimes you gotta just keep it simple. You can over do it if you put too many flavours in there. You can also put some garlic in the sauce but if you use garlic salt in the flour, there’s no need.

The story of how they were first created/discovered is prettt funny. Would love to go up to the Anchor Bar in Buffalo and try some

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Great techniques in your recipe Beave, But like most cooking techniques, they are generally so obvious that they get ignored.

However, I find deep frying the wing bits for 11 minutes a bit excessive. With f**k all meat and little distance between the skin and bone on wings, it sounds like they would come out overdone.

beave

Coach
Great techniques in your recipe Beave, But like most cooking techniques, they are generally so obvious that they get ignored.

However, I find deep frying the wing bits for 11 minutes a bit excessive. With f**k all meat and little distance between the skin and bone on wings, it sounds like they would come out overdone.

Depends if the wings are real cold or not mate. Anywhere between 9-11mins is good. I like the skin and coating crunchy.

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Sweet Baby Ray's sauces are available at ALDI every now and them but I prefer to make my own marinade or rub by googling how the Americans make it, bit of a fan of BBQ Pit Masters!.

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Good to watch and see how the 'Pros' do it, a couple of things I noticed, it had to be sponsored with all the 'Product Placement', they cooked with propane rather than charcoal and the pit was set up for a rotisserie, I thought that that would be an ideal way to cook the Gator, BTW how much does a 5 foot gator cost by the pound?.

beave

Coach
A few years ago my mother in law was preparing dinner (yank) and I came into the kitchen and saw her preparing something. I asked her what she was cooking and her reply was ‘fish hun’

I was openly a little excited. I asked what sort of fish and her reply was ‘Tilapia’

I couldn’t believe what I just heard. I told her that was a weed fish in Oz and that no one ‘eats that shit’ and she looked stunned. I told her I would get her some real fish in Oz next time she was over. I got her some crumbed Coal trout in Tvl
when she came over for a holiday and it blew her mind. They cook some good food over there but they also cook some utter trash. Especially in the south where my wife is from. Biscuits and gravy isn’t as good as you’d think it would be......

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
A few years ago my mother in law was preparing dinner (yank) and I came into the kitchen and saw her preparing something. I asked her what she was cooking and her reply was ‘fish hun’

I was openly a little excited. I asked what sort of fish and her reply was ‘Tilapia’

I couldn’t believe what I just heard. I told her that was a weed fish in Oz and that no one ‘eats that shit’ and she looked stunned. I told her I would get her some real fish in Oz next time she was over. I got her some crumbed Coal trout in Tvl
when she came over for a holiday and it blew her mind. They cook some good food over there but they also cook some utter trash. Especially in the south where my wife is from. Biscuits and gravy isn’t as good as you’d think it would be......
The first mouthful of biscuits and gravy is sublime. Every one after is just awful.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Naturally Wild Crocodile Tail Steak 250g

250g Unit Price $52.00 per 1Kg

1843990-th.jpg

From Coles online.

Last edited:

OVP

Coach

You haven't lived until you've eaten coral trout straight away after being caught. Red Emperor ain't no slouch either.

Latest posts