What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney Autumn Carnival 2014

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Pretty much in full swing now, thought we should have a thread for the life of the carnival.

The Canterbury Stakes this Saturday is one of the most interesting races I've seen in a while.

You have the two gun sprinting 3 year olds up against open age horses for the first time, including 3 of the best mares in the country. Zoustar was dominant against his own age but can he make the step up? Great race...

Talking of cracking races, The Challenge Stakes should be a beauty... The Buff is back and he takes on Snitzerland who is back to her best, then you have Sessions who is a real X-Factor horse and add in Bel-Sprinter, the horse has rocks in its head but I'll never forget him giving Snitzerland wind-burn last year in the Galaxy.

Also keen on Savvy Nature in the Guineas- this guy should have won first up, yet he is double the price of Atlante? Outstanding EW odds

intentcity

First Grade
I really liked appearance today, put $10 all ups on every race on the card going in to her, think I could get one up though? f**k I hate that, bloody hard to get a winner with the track bias today :(

El Roca throwing it away didn't help none either.

Last edited:

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Once the track was clearly slow/heavy it eliminated most chances..

Appearance has grown a leg this prep..can't believe i got $7 on Betfair..

And Sebring was a duck, so Dissident looked a stand out when $13 was available..

The bubble burst for Zoustar, but it was his first crack against the older sprinters..& he may not like it worse than dead..

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Here's a question fellas, if you owned Signoff would you be putting him away for the Spring? Or having a crack at Sydney and the Championships...

Personally if it was me I know every good cell in my body would be saying 'take him along slowly ' but jeez after todays performance you would have to be awfully tempted to put him on the first float to Sydney, that was one of the most dominant performances I'd seen from a horse coming through the staying ranks in a while.

I think with the right placement he could be extremely competitive in a staying handicap, maybe even the Sydney Cup? would be a good test to see if he runs the trip.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Gee he was impressive..

The Sydney Cup is worth good money again, so i'd be striking while the iron is hot, & having a crack at that..

Another good stayer for Authorized, along with Complacent..

intentcity

First Grade
Here's a question fellas, if you owned Signoff would you be putting him away for the Spring? Or having a crack at Sydney and the Championships...

Personally if it was me I know every good cell in my body would be saying 'take him along slowly ' but jeez after todays performance you would have to be awfully tempted to put him on the first float to Sydney, that was one of the most dominant performances I'd seen from a horse coming through the staying ranks in a while.

I think with the right placement he could be extremely competitive in a staying handicap, maybe even the Sydney Cup? would be a good test to see if he runs the trip.

He'd be on a float to Sydney if I owned him, not sure of the quality of the field he beat today though, and he couldn't have asked for a better run, but to do what he did to em was super impressive, most Sydney cup fancies would've trounced that lot as well! but i agree with Horrie, gotta strike while the irons hot.

Last edited:

intentcity

First Grade
Once the track was clearly slow/heavy it eliminated most chances..

Appearance has grown a leg this prep..can't believe i got $7 on Betfair..

And Sebring was a duck, so Dissident looked a stand out when $13 was available..

The bubble burst for Zoustar, but it was his first crack against the older sprinters..& he may not like it worse than dead..

Dissedent was good, but El Roca threw it away, he was clearly going the better when he laid in, would have won by over a length IMO.

I'm not overly worried by zoustars run, gotta forgive a lot of horses due to the track today, and he didn't seem comfortable at all during the first 300 or so.

Last edited:

intentcity

First Grade
I'm saving my pennies for the TJ Smith-QE double, Lankan rupee into IADD, wouldn't mind having a go at Appearance either depending on where she goes, probably the Doncaster, might chuck a parlay on the 3 of them, looking at around $1200 for every tenner laid ATM.

Lanken rupee came in over a dollar when Zoustar failed, into $4.60 now and outright favourite.

Last edited:

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Interesting move keeping Solicit in Melbourne for an easier race..

I wonder if this means they'll take the soft option & go to Adelaide instead of The Championship??..

Means i've gotta shuffle my Star Stable if they do..

intentcity

First Grade
Interesting move keeping Solicit in Melbourne for an easier race..

I wonder if this means they'll take the soft option & go to Adelaide instead of The Championship??..

Means i've gotta shuffle my Star Stable if they do..

Solicit happy to stay at home on Friday
Darryl Sherer - 20/03/2014
It took some head scratching but after accepting at Moonee Valley and Rosehill, Solicit will remain in Victoria and run at Moonee Valley in the Listed $120,000 Alexandra Stakes (1600m) on Friday night.

Mathew Ellerton, who co-trains the three-year-old daughter of Street Cry with Simon Zahra, had lengthy consultation with owner David Moodie before deciding the Moonee Valley race suited Solicit better than a clash with the boys in the Phar Lap Stakes at Rosehill.

"It was a difficult decision but running at Moonee Valley means she can have another two weeks in her box at home before heading to Sydney," Ellerton said.

Having elected to race on Friday night, Ellerton said Solicit would travel to Sydney following the Alexandra Stakes with the Group I Vinery Stud Stakes (2000m) at Rosehill on April 5 as her intended next start.

A sharp gallop on the inside grass on Tuesday morning, working the Sydney way, has Ellerton confident that Solicit will handle the different direction when she does get to Sydney.

"She's actually been racing on her Sydney leg all prep down here in Melbourne and that hasn't posed any problems and her work on Tuesday was very good," Ellerton said.

Solicit worked alone over 1000 metres on the inside grass at Flemington on Tuesday, completed in 1:07.99 seconds, her last 400 metres in 23.92 seconds.

"This time in she's raced very well and I'm sure there is still improvement in her, she still doesn't quite know how to use her stride and can be a bit dumb sometimes," he said.

Solicit has won both her starts this preparation, the latest when defeating Marianne and Suavito - who both re-oppose in the Alexandra Stakes - in the Group II AV Kewney Stakes (1400m) at Flemington on March 8. She will again be ridden by Damian Lane on Friday.
http://www.racenet.com.au/horse/solicit

She's gotta be a pretty good thing tonight, might have to have a squiz at the field.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The field is pretty much everything she had been beating, don't blame them take the easy cash at home against he own sex.

intentcity

First Grade
The field is pretty much everything she had been beating, don't blame them take the easy cash at home against he own sex.

The 1 length margin flattered the beaten division at her last start IMO, they had ample time to run her down and they all peaked on their runs 100 out, she was going away from them at the end, and she did it the hard way outside the leader.

intentcity

First Grade
Well that ride on solicit will go down as one of the great ones lol, FFS, blind Freddy knows she needs room and needs to get rolling 600 out, but let's sit boxed in on the fence on the hot pot lol, And considering it was at the Valley makes it worse.

There goes all my all ups, I found Mightiest with my first leg, really liked the soft track form but only had him for the place, solicit was my second leg, that's racing though :(

Just to rub salt into the the gaping wound, Texting Hurley for the win was my 3rd leg and Essendon was the 4th, I had Mightiest for the place and solicit and Texting Hurly for the win all going into Essendon, I only outlayed $5 but would have got $$190, solicit was the only one I didn't get. :( what r the odds? It's the parlay way though, if you want to win big with little risk you parlay!! It's the only way.

you gotta fight! For your right!! To PARLAAAYY!!

But we carry on, mind you if solicit won I'd be crying I didn't have Mightiest for the win lol, ( note, Mightiest grows a leg on soft tracks, I was confident he/she would place tonight, didn't expect a win though), might be a Brisbane winter horse to follow.

Last edited: