Sydney Councillor has clothes torn off

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by bazza, Nov 13, 2017.

1. bazza

bazza Coach

2. Mong

Mong Immortal

Haha @ that thread title.

These muppets may have gained some publicity they would not otherwise would have, but they lost any sympathy for their cause by their actions.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Immortal

She's related to Tony Abbott

Bitch had it coming

Collateral and Smack like this.
  4. The Charlatan

The Charlatan First Grade

Wankers. Physically intimidating people, especially when it's many on one, is lower than a snakes gut.

LESStar58 and sensesmaybenumbed like this.
  5. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

This shit isn't on

I hope those involved are prosecuted to the full extent of the law

LESStar58 and sensesmaybenumbed like this.
  6. 2_Smoking_Guns

2_Smoking_Guns First Grade

f**kwits all deserve a stint in gaol.... with no pleasantries... despite her relationship with Tony Abbott (just to help dimbot try and be relevant)....

7. Mong

Mong Immortal

Why would you want to help jimbo with anything? It will only encourage him.

We don't deserve that...

8. Twizzle

Twizzle The Alpha Male Staff Member

9. 2_Smoking_Guns

2_Smoking_Guns First Grade

the people have a right to know..!!

10. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Makes the thread title more interesting.

Collateral likes this.
  11. Danish

Danish Referee

Would this be a a reasonable enough thread to actually discuss the Manus island stuff?

Personally I've no idea how the situation can really be brought to an amicable end, given the people have barricaded themselves in and are refusing to leave.

Yes they are living in squalid conditions, but they are choosing to do so. The Aussie government has set up a new camp but these men don't want to go. I guess they could go in and forcibly move them, but that has its own issues.

What I really don't understand though is why the aussie government isn't just granting the NZ PM's call to have them all enter NZ. Seems like an easy out for the entire situation. I think the loophole allowing people to immediately immigrate to Australia after obtaining NZ citizenship/perminant residency has already been closed anyway, so its not like they'll go to NZ then end up flying into Oz legally a couple months later.

12. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

Some alternative accommodation for asylum seekers being held by Australia in Papua New Guinea is not yet fit to live in, the UN refugee agency says.

A senior official who visited the sites told Australia's ABC radio he found "major earthworks in progress".

Australia has held asylum seekers who arrive by boat on both Manus Island (in PNG) and Nauru, a small Pacific nation.

However, the Manus Island centre was shut on Tuesday after a PNG court ruled last year that it was unconstitutional.

Under its controversial policy, Australia refuses to take in anyone trying to reach its territories unofficially by boat. They are all intercepted and held in the Nauru and Manus Island detention centres.

Nat Jit Lam, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) regional representative, said: "I will not be bringing any refugee there to stay - not in that state.

"There was heavy machinery on the ground as well, there were no fences being constructed."

Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said it made "no sense" for the detainees to remain in the centre when there was alternative accommodation, but Australia would not guarantee their safety in the local community.

About 600 men are refusing to leave for the temporary facilities in the town of Lorengau, saying they fear attacks by locals. They have lost access to running water and electricity, and their food supplies are dwindling.

Human Rights Watch has warned the men face "unchecked violence" from local people who have attacked them in the past with machetes, knives and rocks.

"They are terrified of moving. Further bloodshed is likely if they move to less secure facilities in the main town," Human Rights Watch Australia director Elaine Pearson said on Wednesday.

"We have been attacked several times already outside," Mr Boochani told the BBC.

Nick McKim, an Australian senator currently on Manus Island, said he was witnessing "a human rights emergency". He said the facilities are not ready for habitation.

The Australian government has repeatedly said the men's safety is the responsibility of the PNG government.

"The PNG government is in charge of the law and order and security, and I understand they have this matter in hand," Ms Bishop said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-41826431

Yeah I wonder eh danish

I guess Australia can hold its head high knowing they really looked after vulnerable persons in our care

13. Danish

Danish Referee

You wonder what?

As I said I can't for the life of me understand why we would refuse the NZ government's offer to resettle these people immediately in their country. I believe the offer even extended to all people currently in detention on Manus and Nauru, not just the 400 or so holding out here.

14. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

No the nz offer

That's a no brainer

The reason why the refugees won't leave their current accomodations

15. sportive cupid

sportive cupid Referee

Does no one here see the irony in this.
    Outrage from the Liberal Party that they should be subject to dangerous conditions while just trying to go about their daily lives of ordering the asylum seekers on Manus to leave their prison and face the unsafe local communiity there...

Oh and is that tweet from Peter Dutton for real?

bazza likes this.
  16. Danish

Danish Referee

I treat any information from the UN with about as much respect as those emails I keep getting from Nigerian princes, but PNG is an extremely violent country so I'm sure if they are expected to live amongst the community there then fears of falling victim to attacks aren't unfounded.

I'd be interested to hear what sort of security PNG are actually providing at the new accommodation.

I'd also prefer the Oz government to lean on the kiwis into taking all of these detainees rather than waiting for the US processing to be complete. God knows how long that will take under Trump's much more strict immigration practices, plus Jacinta seems like a bit of a simpleton who could be convinced to take them all on.

17. sportive cupid

sportive cupid Referee

Lol..you see the UN as a scam .
    Thats tin foil hat stuff.

Lets trust the word of Peter Dutton who refers to those on Manus island as refugees in his Tweets ...

18. Danish

Danish Referee

I don't see it as a scam at all. I see it as a pointless organisation with absolutely zero direction or authority to speak on any matter, particularly when it comes to human rights.

I mean FFS those clowns elected Saudi Arabia to head up their panel on womens rights.

19. sportive cupid

sportive cupid Referee

And the US elected Donald Trump to lead them. .whats your point.

20. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

To be frank the news about this issue from the funky bunch should be treated with equal amounts of contempt

It would be nice if some independent media were able to report on this issue but alas PNG and the Australian govt are pretty good at stopping this

If the NZ govt wants to take them have at it

At the moment the only option for the refugees is go home, go to PNG/Cambodia or die

I can't see how letting these individuals go to NZ will encourage people smugglers