What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tasmania NRL Expansion

Pretty much just bored on a damp, rainy day.

Have read Cam Smith's ideas on expansion, and someone posted elsewhere 66,000 Tasmanians watched the NRL GF and 14,000 or so turned up to the Storm and Broncos trial.

So why don't we get to Tassie before the AFL. Hell, Tasmanians are pretty miffed that they're a traditional AFL state and got looked over for Gold Coast and Western Sydney.

So here's mine: the Tasmanian Devils.

The colours mimic the cricket colours, and since Wests have the Tigers logo, just mocked up a (albeit, shite) jersey idea. Am sure there are plenty of other logo, colour combos out there.

So let's get brainstorming.

elbusto

Coach
To be honest I was shocked by the crowd. Two hours before the trial there were about 6000 in and then they came from everywhere.

The Storm are very popular down here - bigger than people realise - and we have no national sides apart from the Hurricanes in the cricket to support.

Can't see why it couldn't work.

They'd get that siege mentality happening too.

Would stick a rocket up the AFL if we got there first.

BKT

Juniors
Can't see why it couldn't work.

They'd get that siege mentality happening too.

The biggest hurdle would be finance, small state Tassie, and then there would be the inevitable squabble over where the games should be played, North or South.

Tis a lovely thought though, I would be ecstatic if it happened.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Unfortunately there are a couple of other( bigger) areas that they have to expand to first.

Perhaps the Storm should play an NRL game there every year though.

The Great Dane

First Grade
To be honest I was shocked by the crowd. Two hours before the trial there were about 6000 in and then they came from everywhere.

The Storm are very popular down here - bigger than people realise - and we have no national sides apart from the Hurricanes in the cricket to support.

Elbusto these are Honest Questions, do you think realistically that Tasmania could and would support an NRL team if we put one there right now?

Also would the fact that Tasmania has been overlooked be the AFL so many times help or hinder us if we were to try and put a team down there and how do you think the AFL would react?

Lastly is it a dream of Tasmanian RL fans to get their own team one day?

elbusto

Coach
The biggest hurdle would be finance, small state Tassie, and then there would be the inevitable squabble over where the games should be played, North or South.

I agree. But North Hobart is the ideal venue because of its dimensions. And League is stronger here. That would not stop the argument occurring though.

elbusto

Coach
Elbusto these are Honest Questions, do you think realistically that Tasmania could and would support an NRL team if we put one there right now?

Also would the fact that Tasmania has been overlooked be the AFL so many times help or hinder us if we were to try and put a team down there and how do you think the AFL would react?

Attendance wise yes, financially no.

Yes and the AFL woudl shit itself.

Not really. It is not in our hands.
[/

BKT

Juniors
I agree. But North Hobart is the ideal venue because of its dimensions. And League is stronger here. That would not stop the argument occurring though.

I agree, I drove down last year for the trial, it was fantastic.

The ARLC should get in to bed with Tassie Govt and do a co-funding, co-development deal.

The ARLC can provide the gear, balls, etc - esp in to Tassie schools via the Tassie Education Dept.

Then popular NRL players can do a raft of Tas Govt ads - GRATIS - to promote not only NRL, the players' profiles but also the state.

Tas Govt can provide links to the community, advertising maps, links to business. The stadium, training facilities.

Hell, the ARLC and Tas Govt can look at a model for co-ownership between the game, the state govt for 25-50 years and the populace who can buy shares in to their team a la Green Bay Packers ownership model.

elbusto

Coach
The ARLC should get in to bed with Tassie Govt and do a co-funding, co-development deal.

The ARLC can provide the gear, balls, etc - esp in to Tassie schools via the Tassie Education Dept.

Then popular NRL players can do a raft of Tas Govt ads - GRATIS - to promote not only NRL, the players' profiles but also the state.

Tas Govt can provide links to the community, advertising maps, links to business. The stadium, training facilities.

Hell, the ARLC and Tas Govt can look at a model for co-ownership between the game, the state govt for 25-50 years and the populace who can buy shares in to their team a la Green Bay Packers ownership model.
I like the way you think!

I think we need to find reasons why we 'can' vs the reasons why we 'cannot'.

This goes for Perth, Central Coast, Brisbane 2, CQ, CC etc.

The ARLC should be sniffing out every opportunity and adaptable business model to build the game, its fanbase, popularity and participation in this great ol' game of ours.

The Great Dane

First Grade

That's why I like the idea, a bit of payback for GWS and GCS.

They take this place for granted I can assure you.

That could be very helpful if we were to put a team there and absolutely pump the grassroots down there with money.

That's easy, market the team as a united team, I like the Tasmania United Devils, and play half their home games in Hobart and the other half in Launceston.

If there is a history of disunity or north/south animosity in Tasmanian (which I don't know about, people can enlighten me), the promotion of the Tassie NRL side would be based around 'unity'.

Hell, call them Tasmania United Devils, or some such.

Split the games and bring everyone to the table.

Our state, Our team... that sort of thing.

Then make sure the season opener and closer is always Storm vs Devils and promoted to the absolute hilt in Tas / Melbourne as an 'us against them' thing.

Latest posts