What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tasmania NRL Expansion

paulmac

Juniors
No reason why they couldn't just play home games in PNG but have their training and admin base in Cairns to start with.Flights from Cairns to Port Morseby only take an hour.
The amount of mining companies that would jump on board would easily fund the Hunters.RL best not sit on their hands as football is making real in roads in PNG.

RoosTah

Juniors
This. People are absolutely kidding themselves if they think PNG can sustain an NRL side.
It's a long term prospect. Not something you'd do tomorrow, but certainly something you lay the groundwork for so that it's a real option in 20-30 years when the country has achieved significant gains in development that its strong growth rate allows.

Eion

First Grade
It's a long term prospect. Not something you'd do tomorrow, but certainly something you lay the groundwork for so that it's a real option in 20-30 years when the country has achieved significant gains in development that its strong growth rate allows.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love PNG to become viable but it is so far off. Moresby is deadset a shanty town. Every 2nd bloke walks around with a machete strapped to their leg and there is no police presence. They think you're mad if you leave your hotel. I went to a business there and they did their operation out of a kind of panic room in the middle of the building with no windows they could lock down for when (not if) the rascals came.

By and large friendly folk but 0 infrastructure, law and rife corruption. An NRL side just won't happen in my lifetime.

jim_57

Staff member
I think at this stage a Hunters junior team could be the best possible club move in PNG. Having the best youth in NRL club's spotlights will do wonders for the national team in 5-10 years. They then have a more competitive national side for the country to go wild for, plus the Hunters. NRL team is a lifetime off.

adamkungl

Immortal
There's not much for a professional comp of the NRL's scale in expanding the top grade to third world island countries. Sorry, I just don't see it.

Every effort should be made to grow professional standard pathways between Australia and PNG, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands, Vanuatu, and even other smaller nations, but NRL first grade sides aren't on the cards for a lifetime.

The only international expansion at NRL level I hope for is a southern NZ team.

jim_57

Staff member
There's not much for a professional comp of the NRL's scale in expanding the top grade to third world island countries. Sorry, I just don't see it.

Every effort should be made to grow professional standard pathways between Australia and PNG, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands, Vanuatu, and even other smaller nations, but NRL first grade sides aren't on the cards for a lifetime.

The only international expansion at NRL level I hope for is a southern NZ team.

Exactly. There should be a clear pathway for any kid playing in Australia, NZ, Pacific Island or Asia to progress to the very top if they have the talent. That is the most that a lot of places can hope for, links to QLD/NSW Cup sides would be a big help in this regard.

Only potential international expansion for me are:
  • NZ 2 in NRL
  • NZ 2 & 3 in NSW Cup (with links to Tonga, Samoa & Cook Islands)
  • Fiji in NSW Cup
  • PNG 2 in QLD Cup
Outside of that the option is the Wildcard 'Toronto Wolfpack' equivalent popping up in Asia somewhere.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would it not be better for the PNG league to develop to a higher standard than cherry picking the best players to form one or two Qland cup teams? Hunters have done quite well but only exist as the PNG Govt is funding them, and given the social and health problems in PNG some may say that money could be going to better things?

Reactions: siv

adamkungl

Immortal
Would it not be better for the PNG league to develop to a higher standard than cherry picking the best players to form one or two Qland cup teams? Hunters have done quite well but only exist as the PNG Govt is funding them, and given the social and health problems in PNG some may say that money could be going to better things?

If their government is as corrupt as commonly said, funding a sports team is probably not their biggest wastage...

Greenstar5

Juniors
How I would Expand the game into Tasmania.

Secure 1 game for points to be played in Hobart at Bellerive Oval on a Saturday Afternoon 3pm.

Have a Sydney club against an Interstate low drawing team. Could even be on a Origin weekend. Origin would help boost it.

Promote the game in the local media, cheap tickets and get the teams to engage with the community prior to the game. Allow a kick on the ground after the game, teams to hand out free footballs, team flags etc.

Start by getting the NRL off gem and onto the Channel 9. Shows like the footy show can stay on gem.
Basically what Sydney and Brisbane get in terms of games on 9 is what Tassie should be getting. Go head to head with the AFL.

Keep improving the local comps in Tas.

mikail-eagle

Bench
If their government is as corrupt as commonly said, funding a sports team is probably not their biggest wastage...

The Hunters do not rely on Government funding anymore. They have a lot of Private sponsors in PNG covering them with SP Brewery being the main one.

There is a longer list here; http://www.pngrfl.org/sponsors/

http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs...rs-secures-long-term-sponsorship-deal/7123708

PNG Hunters secures long term sponsorship deal worth 3.5 million AUD
The beer company is putting in K7.5 million, that's around $AUD 3.5 million, but managing director Stan Joyce says he didn't need much convincing before signing off on the company's biggest ever sports sponsorship deal.

And Mr Joyce says the company will also be encouraging responsible drinking, given the concerns which often shroud alcohol sponsorship of sporting teams.

MugaB

Coach
Feel like NRL really missed an opportunity to turn Tasmania into a Rugby League state. Imagine if they got an NRL team before an AFL one.
NRL swooping in last minute, and saying you can have an NRL team, without a brand new shmick stadium, coz we dont care about that... AFL might, we don't

Pneuma

First Grade
Feel like NRL really missed an opportunity to turn Tasmania into a Rugby League state. Imagine if they got an NRL team before an AFL one.
Mate they couldn’t even make a half assed attempt supporting our local comp that died a few years ago.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Imagine if tassie govt cared enough to pump $500mill into an nrl club there, or the nrl cared enough to commit $150mill to the state.

AdelaideRLFC

Juniors
Truly was a missed opportunity by the NRL to not get into Tassie before the AFL.

Imagine if the NSWRFL gave Adelaide a license before the AFL forced the SANFL to make the Adelaide Crows.

Rugby League could have easily become the top code in Australia.

Latest posts