What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tatarstan

ali

Bench
Not sure, maybe because they have played a couple of International seperately from Russia. I do know they are quite keen on independance and I believe the people consider themselves ethnically different and are infact mostly Muslims.

On a Rugby League front, it appears the game is going quite well. The russian comp has been split in two for the final few rounds of the comp, and the top 4 sides include 2 from Moscow and 2 from Kazan, Tatarstan.

Ethinically, the majority of people in Tatarstan are Russians (who consider themselves Russian regardless where they live).

The Muslim Tatars tried to breakaway a while ago a la Chechnya, but no one ever really thought that was ever going to get off the ground. Either way, the 'Tatars' only make up about 30-40% the population.

Anyone know what percentage of the Russian league playing base is from Tatarstan? And is it ethnic Russians playing there, or mostly Tatars?

ali

Bench
I stand corrected.

Russian news is very hard to come by, and until such time we get a genuine Russian posting on an RL message board, then I don't thing we'll know the answers to those sorts of questions.

My guess is that it would make up a fair percentage of the playing numbers, maybe 30-40%. Just going on the strength of their top 2 clubs and the fact that the goverment declared League one of 3(?) official sports of Tatartstan. I believe 2 million people live in Kazan, so this place has plenty of potential.

Latest posts