What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tattoo design price estimate

jim_57

Staff member
So I've been looking at a tattoo idea based around 2 playing cards, and have found a style that a really like by an artist from the US. Unfortunately he doesn't have the 2 cards I'd like (J♡♧). Asked him if he could whip up the designs for those cards in the style I liked and he said he could but asked what price I'd be looking at.

Being a know-nothing of the industry any idea what a reasonable offer would be (in US$)? Just for the 2 playing cards (life size) with fairly detailed design and some, but not much colour?

Thanks

shaggs

Coach
my guy charges per piece instead of time like most, so all I can estimate is that.

About palm size is $450, then goes up by about $100 each increase after that. Mine are all black dot and line work so that is fairly detailed.
Can't guess about colour. Whether that is more expensive.
A lot of places charge per hour at about 150 plus.
All $ in Australian.

Were you planning on getting the US guy to draw it and then get someone here to tattoo it??

McLovin

Staff member
Are you asking the for the ballpark price of the design itself or the tattoo?

For the tattoo, the price obviously varies from place to place. For a life sized tattoo of two playing cards you're probably looking in the vicinity of $400-$600.

LESStar58

Referee
So I've been looking at a tattoo idea based around 2 playing cards, and have found a style that a really like by an artist from the US. Unfortunately he doesn't have the 2 cards I'd like (J♡♧). Asked him if he could whip up the designs for those cards in the style I liked and he said he could but asked what price I'd be looking at.

Being a know-nothing of the industry any idea what a reasonable offer would be (in US$)? Just for the 2 playing cards (life size) with fairly detailed design and some, but not much colour?

Thanks

I'm guessing this is the first tattoo you have ever had done.

I am honestly surprised the artist asked YOU how much you want to spend. I got tattooed in Wisconsin when I was there 2 years ago. The artist was a fella I had met at a festival so it was kind of at mate's rates but he charged me for the time he spent. Maybe it differs between the States and Aus but heres my advice.

Last year I went and saw a particular artist because I a) liked her work and aesthetic and b) she had done designs involving musical instruments so decided she was the artist for me. She did a phenomenal job so when I had another idea in mind and had seen her do something similar I went and saw her again. I plan on getting her to do one more piece for me.

If you have an idea in your head of what you want then I would suggest that;

A) even if you do not have a modicum of artistic expression in your body get a piece of paper and do a really, really shitty rough sketch of it. Have little arrows pointing to elements of the design and hand written notes to describe to the artist what elements you want represented/drawn.

B) get photos off the net as "inspiration" to accompany the sketch. Don't just limit this to other artist's work but also photos of certain elements.

And finally.... and perhaps the most important.

C) if you are that keen on the design and you really like what the artist can do to bring your concept to life then TRUST the artist. Pay your deposit, trust them to do a bang up job on your design. You can consult on the day when they show you the stencil and if there's any amendments then you can discuss on the day. But if you do the right thing and are not vague during the consult phase then there's no reason for your design to be amended.

And have plenty of cash on the day to pay the difference. They are not cheap and this is how the artist makes a living.

If you pay peanuts you get monkeys. Be prepared to spend money to get it done right.

jim_57

Staff member
Thanks guys! So yeh was looking at an estimate on just the price of design from this artist as I obviously need to get it done here and he is based in US. I was trawling the internet for card designs I liked for reference and came across his style but he had only Queens and Kings drawn. I emailed him on the off chance he would be able to do up the Jacks and he is keen to help me out but asked what budget I had to work with. I wouldn't honestly know the going rate just for design in the US so guess I just don't want to make an offer that is too low or too high.

With the background I'm thinking (black fade out with patches of skin left bare in shape of suits) it will be a little bit smaller than a soccer ball.

Not my first tattoo, I got one in Berlin a while back and still really happy with it, just got that one sketched up on the day but want to put a lot of preparation into this one as it's going to be bigger and in a more prominent spot. I really liked this guy's concept on his page and trust he'll do an awesome job.

LESStar58

Referee
Ah. Okay. Makes more sense.

I suppose if the guy is overseas and is designing it for you its just like any other graphic design job.

Where do you live, mate? I think you'd be so much better off going to a local studio anf getting it done there. Your deposit not only confirms your appointment but it's also the payment that gets them to go away and actually get them working.

I would apply the same logic here; trust the artist if you are then keen on him but just realise that it'll cost you more when you get someone else to do it.

jim_57

Staff member
Ah. Okay. Makes more sense.

I suppose if the guy is overseas and is designing it for you its just like any other graphic design job.

Where do you live, mate? I think you'd be so much better off going to a local studio anf getting it done there. Your deposit not only confirms your appointment but it's also the payment that gets them to go away and actually get them working.

I would apply the same logic here; trust the artist if you are then keen on him but just realise that it'll cost you more when you get someone else to do it.

Had the thought of taking the example of the style/theme of cards and getting a local artist to draw up an interpretation of the J's but thought I'd get a price from the original artist first. Just trying to get a ballpark figure for the design.

Might still go with the option of taking it to a local studio for the design.

Vic Mackey

Referee
its better to pay a bit more for a good artist. i did a lot of asking around before i got my first. the first guy i wanted to use was booked for the next 9 months (like i said its worth it to get a good one) he then put me onto someone else who had a timeslot that had opened up in a fortnight. from memory he was about $180ph and mine took 3X4 hour sessions (i did them 3 weeks apart, for my next one i tried after 2 weeks but it was still way too sore)

WaznTheGreat

Referee
ad_162516805.jpg

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I pay $150 an hour. Normally the cost of designing is not charged he just charges me the hourly rate and draws it up in his own time. Once you find a guy/girl (that you like) stick to them for all future jobs if possible. The overall flow and design of the work is better when its the same person doing it.

Lambretta

First Grade
Don't do what I did - randomly look through a magazine, say "Can you do that" and get it done

It's not that it's a bad tattoo - I don't mind it - but it doesn't mean anything and not long after I got it done I realised what I really wanted there.

jim_57

Staff member
So got the design whipped up a few months back for $100US and very happy with it. Haven't got around to getting it done yet because of work and relocating.. which leads me to my next question..

Just moved to Melbourne, any locals know the best studios to look to?

LESStar58

Referee
So got the design whipped up a few months back for $100US and very happy with it. Haven't got around to getting it done yet because of work and relocating.. which leads me to my next question..

Just moved to Melbourne, any locals know the best studios to look to?

You can't go wrong with anyone from Chapel Tattoo. My last 2 have been there and I'm getting my next one there in a few weeks.