What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taumalolo To Play For Tonga

adamkungl

Immortal
Why is the Kiwi jersey so worthless to our modern players? None of the big names of the modern era have ever really given a f*ck. SBW was in and out like a tampon, and now Taumalolo's betrayed us. The only big name player in recent memory who ever gave a sh*t was Benji, and look how he's been treated.

I just don't get it.

- Rarely play at home
- String of dud coaches
- Treating loyal senior players as expendable breeds a culture where young players don't see loyalty as important
- national lack of f**ks given compared to ABs

Reactions: JJ

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Why is the Kiwi jersey so worthless to our modern players? None of the big names of the modern era have ever really given a f*ck. SBW was in and out like a tampon, and now Taumalolo's betrayed us. The only big name player in recent memory who ever gave a sh*t was Benji, and look how he's been treated.

I just don't get it. I give up on ever expecting the Kiwis to improve and develop into the force they could and should become. We have too many amateurs in management.

It is tough this morning reading Benjis view on it all. He is spot on with his viewpoint, shows genuine passion for the Kiwis jersey, yet a few years back had a line put through his name and stamped never to play again. Never heard anyone with a bad word to say against him so I struggle to believe it's an attitude thing, we will never know though because nobody from the Kiwis will ever front up with a genuine reason why

I've got tickets to a couple of the games, at least what I do know now, is that the 17 guys who take the park wearing that jumper will all be putting in

Meth

Staff member
It's a massive dick move and his explanation is absolute garbage. If he really wanted to give back to Tonga then he would've made the announcement a long time ago and made himself unavailable for the Anzac Test, knowing full well he would be taking someone's spot in the squad which could've been used to further develop one of our younger players..

Why?

He doesn’t have to.

I haven’t heard anyone else declare their WC availability prior to this.

Iafeta

Referee
Poor form Jason. Kidwell claims he's tried to contact Taumalolo who won't get back to him and has been trying for a while. WTF. Where's the respect there? I've had some poor managers in the past but to outright ignore someone is very disrespectful and in turn disrespectful to fellow NZ team mates and indeed fans. That's low, cuz.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Yeah that's pretty weak tbh.

It's entirely his choice, but it doesn't take much to call someone and tell them your decision.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
After watching the press conference for the team announcement, why the hell is Nikau not coaching? He's got me ready to put on a jersey and ready to run through a wall right now.

Kidwell....not so much.

Yep, T was the star of that press conference, and showed great passion. That extend-the-whites-of-his-eyes-pukana-style look he gives is quite menacing. But then again, he refused to play for us for years cos of Blackmore so...

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Poor form Jason. Kidwell claims he's tried to contact Taumalolo who won't get back to him and has been trying for a while. WTF. Where's the respect there? I've had some poor managers in the past but to outright ignore someone is very disrespectful and in turn disrespectful to fellow NZ team mates and indeed fans. That's low, cuz.
Its a tough one because Kidwell also claims that the decision to stand down Jesse Bromwich was his idea. Bromwich counter-claims that HE was going to announce that he would be stepping down but I think Kidwell saw it as an oppertunity to show that he had some control and a stamp of authourity of what was already a poor campaign.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league...romwich-and-Kevin-Proctor-was-always-his-call

This was the first warning sign that they werent really a team because a coach never leaves his captain, or any member of his team, out to dry like that. When we drew to Scotland, Bromwich had his coaches back and thats expected because thats part of being a team and because the players really did let themselves down. Still, Bromwich had his inexperienced coaches back. Hell even Bellamy had Jesses back despite his very stupid move.
http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport...land-loss---kiwis-captain-jesse-bromwich.html

Bromwich did the 'dick move' but Kidwell handled it like one of the boys that change into a show off when the girls are around in regards to the press. Kidwell as a coach should've looked after his boys, his players, as a coach is nothing without players. THATS when leadership qualities like honesty, trust and respect went out the window for Kidwell and little did we know it resonated throughout the players. There could be some in the team right now just playing mainly for the pay cheque and the other half of them is actually for New Zealand.

Taumalolo or Kidwell? Taumalolo is the best forward in the world. Kidwell is the best what? f**k Kidwell.

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
I believe Kidwell until Taumalolo says anything to the contrary. Taumalolo has nothing to lose by presenting a counter claim. Unless Kidwell has said it as it is.

Also, their respective abilities or competencies won't sway me in who is right or wrong. That's independent of all of this. FTR though, yes Kidwell was never as good as Taumalolo but he was a pretty fair player in his own right who I don't ever recall backing down.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I believe Kidwell until Taumalolo says anything to the contrary. Taumalolo has nothing to lose by presenting a counter claim. Unless Kidwell has said it as it is.

Also, their respective abilities or competencies won't sway me in who is right or wrong. That's independent of all of this. FTR though, yes Kidwell was never as good as Taumalolo but he was a pretty fair player in his own right who I don't ever recall backing down.
Oh Kidwell most likely did try to get a hold of Taumalolo. NZRFL might have heard the claims of Taumalolo becoming unhappy with the coaching staff and therefore ordered Kidwell to try and fix it. That would've been an awkward call for the proud Kidwell to make and a equally awkward one for Taumalolo to take.

I guess when I highlighted the word 'claims' it was more to do with dishonesty. When Taumalolo mentioned Bromwich and Proctor, Im sure he was referring to the part that I mentioned regarding Kidwells claim to have stood Jesse down when Jesse said he wanted to quit as captain. Kidwell just looks like a snake after that. Had Kidwell shown support to Jesse, the team wouldve looked at Kidwell and thought 'geez poor coach, he's trying but were losing and he's supporting Jesse during this time which is going to make him look worse...' but no. He lied to Jesse and now the players here that and you get what were in right now. Im speculating here but I've been fairly accurate with how this has all unfolded so far.

Kidwell as a player let the Aussies know, that Origin is one thing and a test against the kiwis another. He was a good player but a poor coach with a 6 and 1 record to say the least.

Last edited:
Oh Kidwell most likely did try to get a hold of Taumalolo. NZRFL might have heard the claims of Taumalolo becoming unhappy with the coaching staff and therefore ordered Kidwell to try and fix it. That would've been an awkward call for the proud Kidwell to make and a equally awkward one for Taumalolo to take.

I guess when I highlighted the word 'claims' it was more to do with dishonesty. When Taumalolo mentioned Bromwich and Proctor, Im sure he was referring to the part that I mentioned regarding Kidwells claim to have stood Jesse down when Jesse said he wanted to quit as captain. Kidwell just looks like a snake after that. Had Kidwell shown support to Jesse, the team wouldve looked at Kidwell and thought 'geez poor coach, he's trying but were losing and he's supporting Jesse during this time which is going to make him look worse...' but no. He lied to Jesse and now they players here that and you get what were in right now. Im speculating here but I've been fairly accurate with how this has all unfolded so far.

Kidwell as a player let the Aussies now, that Origin is one thing and a test against the kiwis another. He was a good player but a poor coach with a 6 and 1 record to say the least.

Thats the thing though. Ive never read or heard any quote that Taumalolo has mentioned Bromwich and Proctor. And as i said last night, Taumalolo said hes bewildered about why those 2 players were bought up when he told NZRL

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Thats the thing though. Ive never read or heard any quote that Taumalolo has mentioned Bromwich and Proctor. And as i said last night, Taumalolo said hes bewildered about why those 2 players were bought up when he told NZRL
Oh yeah I forgot about that. However, if anything was to be pissed about, it would've been what I mentioned. Im sure of it :)

Yeah so far all I've red is that Taumalolo wants to play for Tonga because he liked his experience with them. I got no qualms with that, even if he scores the try to beat us.

Iafeta

Referee
If it is regards Bromwich and Proctor, the standard you walk past is the standard you set. Something has been rotten in the Kiwis for sometime. If they didn't come down hard on them it'd be allowing anarchy.

I would say if there is any truth to it, probably the area they've failed is communication. As Axl Rose said, what we have here is failure to communicate.

Meth

Staff member
Not exactly helpful as a direct comparison, but could you imagine Beauden Barrett failing to get back to Steve Hansen if he had called him?

If it is true that Kidwell tried to get in touch with Taumalolo, it says something about the embarrassing lack of respect going around for Kidwell and for international Rugby League’s status quo.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Mate Ma'a Tonga 2017 Rugby League Squad

Andrew Fifita
Mahe Fonua.
David Fusitu'a.
Siliva Havili.
Ata Hingano
Will Hopoate.
Konrad Hurrell.
Michael Jennings.
Solomone Kata.
Sione Katoa.
Samisoni Langi
Tuimoala Lolohea.
Sika Manu.
Ben Murdoch-Masila
Joe Ofahengaue.
Tevita Pangai Jnr.
Ukuma Ta'ai.
Siosiua Taukieaho.
Jason Taumalolo
Peni Terepo
Daniel Tupou
Manu Vatuvei

ozenzud

Juniors
Personally, as great a player as Jason T is, I'd never pick him, Mau'u or Fusitua again. If they don't want to bleed for the jumper and think it isn't the greatest honour available, then they aren't fit to wear it. I'd prefer to get flogged watching 17 guys give their absolute all than win with guys who don't value the experience.

That Kiwi side, is a mix of old and new. It's still a good side, if they come together and paddle the waka in the same direction with passion and committment.

On the other side of the coin, that Tonga team would be almost good enough to beat NZ and challenge Oz on their day. The pure RL fan side of me is excited by that.

I'd be OK with plenty of players committing to play for Tonga, Samoa, PNG etc. That is great for the game. They should be promoted more and paid the same. That way, international RL would go forward.

ozbash

Referee
If it is regards Bromwich and Proctor, the standard you walk past is the standard you set. Something has been rotten in the Kiwis for sometime. If they didn't come down hard on them it'd be allowing anarchy.

I would say if there is any truth to it, probably the area they've failed is communication. As Axl Rose said, what we have here is failure to communicate.
Yea. I don't know about this to be honest..

I think the anarchy is there in a fairly sinister way, the defections kind of prove that to me.. there are individual/groups of players who perceive themselves bigger than either the team or the NZRL.

Jesse and Proctor.. they admitted to taking a recent drug..
They wernt charged with any offence.
Their respective clubs stood them down.
Jesse lost the Kiwi captaincy.

They did the crime and the time.
Same SKD.

Both Bromich and Proctor are in white hot form...

Surely, we pick the best team..