What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 2016

League_God

Juniors
I know it's very premature but it's beginning to look as if we'll have a very different side next year.

1. -
2.James McManus
3.Sione Mata'utai
4.Joey Leilua
5.Aku Uate
6.Jarrod Mullen
7.Tyrone Roberts
8.Kade Snowden (re-sign)
9.Adam Clydesdale
10.Korbin Sims
11.Robbie Rochow
12.Joseph Tapine
13.Tariq Sims

14.Tyler Randell
15.Jack Stockwell
16.Paterika Vai Vai
17.Jake Finn

This is the side Smith, Gidley, Scott, Gagai and Faalogo all gone.

I have no idea who will play fullback - I don't believe Mamo is a fullback. We should have some cash with all of those players leaving so perhaps we could buy a fullback.

There's quite a few on the market. I'd go for (in this order) James Roberts, Alex Johnston, Peter Mata'utia.

Noname36

First Grade
If Mamo can't make the step up to fullback then we already have Ross who's a better fullback than Pete Mata'utia. If all else fails Sione is solid there and has the potential to become great with his footy brain - just needs some more developing.

League_God

Juniors
If Mamo can't make the step up to fullback then we already have Ross who's a better fullback than Pete Mata'utia. If all else fails Sione is solid there and has the potential to become great with his footy brain - just needs some more developing.

Who plays centre in that case?

Noname36

First Grade
Who plays centre in that case?

Pat is a natural centre, Chanel has been playing there this year, and if all else fails McManus is solid there and we can bring Mamo onto the wing (although I'd swap them in defence).

Our issue at the moment is the forwards, especially if Scott leaves on top of that. No need to go out and throw more money at another back. We have more than enough to cover.

Yosh

Coach
I would legitimately bust a nut if Hayne signed with us.

I dunno man. The clubs on the rise. The management seem to know what they are doing and we'll definitely have the resources to get him.

If the team does very well under Stone this year and the club's atmosphere is good, I don't see why not. Our board would want to increase the clubs profile and what better way then the sign high profile players who have switched codes. Or what about Burgess? That'll just be too crazy as well.

Stone has a good relationship with Hayne and I read somewhere that Jarryd rates him as a coach. it is not as impossible as it seems if he fails in the NFL! I am sure of one thing. Stone will make a big play for him. Hayne seems like a laid back on the level kid. He grew up in a housing commission flat so he relates to blue collar folk. We are very much a place he could relate to. He is not arrogant.

Last edited:

Still Nutty

Juniors

I agree. From what I have seen of Ross, he would be a solid option based on our other choices.

IMHO and like some others on here, I don't rate Mamo's potential to be a future fullback for us and I also think Sione's best position for us is number 3.

perverse

Referee
I have big question marks over Mamos hands (including his passing game or lack thereof) and his composure/temperament. There's no doubt he's got the raw gifts to be something like a Brett Stewart for us, but he has a lot of work to do on fundamentals.

League_God

Juniors
I know it's very premature but it's beginning to look as if we'll have a very different side next year.

1. -
2.James McManus
3.Sione Mata'utai
4.Joey Leilua
5.Aku Uate
6.Jarrod Mullen
7.Tyrone Roberts
8.Kade Snowden (re-sign)
9.Adam Clydesdale
10.Korbin Sims
11.Robbie Rochow
12.Joseph Tapine
13.Tariq Sims

14.Tyler Randell
15.Jack Stockwell
16.Paterika Vai Vai
17.Jake Finn

This is the side Smith, Gidley, Scott, Gagai and Faalogo all gone.

I have no idea who will play fullback - I don't believe Mamo is a fullback. We should have some cash with all of those players leaving so perhaps we could buy a fullback.

There's quite a few on the market. I'd go for (in this order) James Roberts, Alex Johnston, Peter Mata'utia.

Realistically looking at that side we need a gun prop and fullback to win the comp. We won't win the comp this year, but I think we'll surprise some people. If we buy smart for 2016 I am of the belief we can deadset win it next year.

James Roberts is a gun and perhaps his older cuz Tyrone can convince Newy is a great place to live.
That'd be our fullback problem covered.
Then throw the bank at all of Thaiday, Burgess, Myles, Manu, Gallen, Hannant and hope one of them signs to play prop.

Noname36

First Grade
Thaiday, Myles, Gallen and Hannant are either over the hill or terrible to begin with. Gallen is like the forward version of Kurt Gidley. f**ks up his sides attack by trying to do everything and ruining their momentum.

Last edited:

Haffa

Thaiday?

Of that list surely there are better options out there. I'd rather we went after JWH or someone of that age group.

Noname36

First Grade
Chasing after more backs when we're already paying overs to some in NSW Cup just seems crazy to me.

I think the club sees Sione at centre, and they're giving Mamo every chance to develop into a fullback. If he doesn't make it though Ross can play there or even Sione and we have plenty of other centre options.

Anyway it's only round 2. 2016 is ages away. Both Mamo and Sione are still very raw. Who knows where they'll be this time next year? I'm not ready to give up on Mamo yet. He has so many natural footballing instincts. The question will be how they can be tuned this year.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
Pretty sure Hayne cant play for any other NRL club other than the Eels. Was a condition of them releasing him from a contract

League_God

Juniors
Thaiday, Myles, Gallen and Hannant are either over the hill or terrible to begin with. Gallen is like the forward version of Kurt Gidley. f**ks up his sides attack by trying to do everything and ruining their momentum.

None of them are terrible to begin with. They've all represented their country.

Gallen tries to do everything because for 99% of his career he's played with a pack of spastics and he's HAD to do everything.

Last week Gallen's stats

23 hit-ups, 298metres, 42 tackles.

Next year we'll have a young talented forward pack, we need a year or 2 out of an old hardhead merkin who has competed successfully at the highest level.
It's more the mentality they'll bring to the side.
Say what you want about Mason but he could fire the boys up

Noname36

First Grade
None of them are terrible to begin with. They've all represented their country.

Gallen tries to do everything because for 99% of his career he's played with a pack of spastics and he's HAD to do everything.

Last week Gallen's stats

23 hit-ups, 298metres, 42 tackles.

Next year we'll have a young talented forward pack, we need a year or 2 out of an old hardhead merkin who has competed successfully at the highest level.
It's more the mentality they'll bring to the side.
Say what you want about Mason but he could fire the boys up

Gallen was the one I was referring to being awful from the get go. Yes he has some decent stats but as always they don't show everything. Most Sharks fans I know are infuriated by him constantly so that should tell us something I think.

Ok taking the peptides and all that crap that went with it out of the equation, a 34 year old Gallen would still be a machine in my book. He is a freak athlete if you ask me. I don't believe he has been a drug cheat his whole career by any means. Those innuendos are just cheap shots by people to take away from the fact he is super fit and very strong through hard work. If by some miracle we got him for two years I would be a happy camper cos he is exactly what out kids need as forward pack. A leader by example. My guess is he will go to Superleague though. Wigan or Leeds is what I am hearing. He will go to a club there that can win the Superleague title. It will not be about money. His chances of winning an NRL title are not gone but the Sharks would need to be the form side of the back half of the year to win it and Barba needs another 2012.