What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 2016

I'm not convinced Rochow will stay. I think we'll either let him go or we won't renew his contract.
He said he is playing himself into a contract. He'll expect more money.
He was the best against the Storm re stats.
We need a mobile second row / centre who can run wide and fill in at centre.
Brown hinted on the same.

Joel-22

Juniors
I'm not convinced he'll stay either. I am convinced however that he won't be a great loss

8.Sam Mataora
9.Danny Levi
10.Jack Stockwell
11.Jacob Saifiti
12.Tariq Sims
13.Korbin Sims

14.Tyler Randall
15.Pauli Pauli
16.Micky Paea
17.Daniel Saifiti

Provided the two young blokes (jacob & daniel) have big off-seasons, that's potentially an awesome forward pack.

Joel-22

Juniors
I'm not convinced Rochow will stay. I think we'll either let him go or we won't renew his contract.
He said he is playing himself into a contract. He'll expect more money.
He was the best against the Storm re stats.
We need a mobile second row / centre who can run wide and fill in at centre.
Brown hinted on the same.

Also, I think Mataora was our best again stats wise:

Mataora
63mins
97metres
35tackles 0 missed

Rochow
80mins
96metres
39tackles 1 missed

I'm not convinced he'll stay either. I am convinced however that he won't be a great loss

8.Sam Mataora
9.Danny Levi
10.Jack Stockwell
11.Jacob Saifiti
12.Tariq Sims
13.Korbin Sims

14.Tyler Randall
15.Pauli Pauli
16.Micky Paea
17.Daniel Saifiti

Provided the two young blokes (jacob & daniel) have big off-seasons, that's potentially an awesome forward pack.

We need a mobile 2nd rower who can play out wide. None of those guys can do it. I reckon Bhana will stay in the mix.
Safiti's are off contract this year. We might not keep them both or hold at least one of them in lower grades for a year or two until others are off contract. A lot depends on how hungry other clubs are.

Rochow will struggle for a start in the 17 at a lot of other clubs. He can go. I still feel the ESL is our best place to shop. Plenty of big units with skill over there.

Nuffy

Bench
Anyone read in the Tele about Parra re-signing Semi for about 350k a year including TPA's.

Form winger of the comp on about 150K less than our then form winger signed for.

We can bang on about not having TPA's which I acknowledge is an issue but its also very clear that we've been paying massive overs for blokes through sheer panic.

slotmachine

First Grade
I'm the last person to defend our cap management but, to be fair, that deal was done when Radradra has played 17 games of first grade.

He is also is making noises about wanting an upgrade or pissing off to Rugby.

Last edited:

Nuffy

Bench
Rochow will struggle for a start in the 17 at a lot of other clubs. He can go. I still feel the ESL is our best place to shop. Plenty of big units with skill over there.

Yep, he could end up like Joel Edwards, chased the money, cut from Canberra and playing reggies for the Tigers.

Grass isnt always greener.

Nuffy

Bench
I'm the last person to defend our cap management but, to be fair, that deal was done when Radradra has played 17 games of first grade.

He is also is making noises about wanting an upgrade or pissing off to Rugby.

Its the value for money aspect. We got great returns out of the first Uate contract then as he was sliding, we upped the money significantly after claims Uate would go to Japanese Rugby.

slotmachine

First Grade
You're not comparing the same thing here though. The Eels paid for potential, and it looks to be working out for them, but it could easily have gone the other way.

Better off comparing Radrara to Sione's deal, rather than Aku's.

The Eel's giving a broken down Watmough 800k a year is more Aku-like, but it looks like they'll get lucky with that deal too.

Nuffy

Bench
You're not comparing the same thing here though. The Eels paid for potential, and it looks to be working out for them, but it could easily have gone the other way.

Better off comparing Radrara to Sione's deal, rather than Aku's.

The Eel's giving a broken down Watmough 800k a year is more Aku-like, but it looks like they'll get lucky with that deal too.

Its still value for money, when we re-signed him, he wasn't a current rep player but got Origin / AU rep player money. Why and how many more players on the roster are in the same boat.

I've got this image of the Knights panicking when a crowd favourite even hints at leaving, so they throw the kitchen sink at them, they are worried about blowback from the Nanna's. I reckon thats what happened with the Mata utia Bros, we panicked because the Dogs got under our guard and we just went nuts to keep them then Hages, Stone Et al look like they know what they are doing but our cap is a mess behind the scenes.

Re Watmough, I think they've done it specifically to get around the cap, he had no intention of seeing out the deal and they didnt want him to, they just wanted a couple of years at a low $ value, then he gets a big payout thats not under the cap as he is retiring through injury.

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
Signing a 17 game player for $350k a year isn't value for money, it's speculation. Just like we speculated with Sione. The Eels got a guy who scored 24 tries and had 25 line breaks in 18 games. We didn't. Giving a guy in decline like Aku a huge deal is a totally different type of ineptitude.

Agree on Watmough. Since McKinnon's accident the cap-exempt status of payouts for players retiring through injury is ripe for rorting. It probably won't even cost the Eels much real money as I imagine the contract is insured in some form.

Thankfully by 2018 most of the really bad deals will be gone. Snowden, Aku, Tariq, Gagai all off the books. Still have the Matautia's and Hodkinson, but hopefully they will look fair value by that point.

Last edited:

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Tough to say Aku was in decline

He certainly went down hill afterwards but he was still in pretty good form when he signed that deal

slotmachine

First Grade
Fair point. He'd just come off a season when he had scored 18 tries.
That said, he had lost his NSW and Aus spot to Brett Morris by the end of 2012.

macavity

Referee
Agree on Watmough. Since McKinnon's accident the cap-exempt status of payouts for players retiring through injury is ripe for rorting. It probably won't even cost the Eels much real money as I imagine the contract is insured in some form.

We should be doing things the NFL way. Signing bonus (spread on the cap over the life of the deal) and then payment structures for each year (which can be cut).

Then again, we should also have a hard cap like the NFL.

But we won't, because the big clubs like rules they can rort.

Joel-22

Juniors
1.Dane Gagai
2.Nathan Ross
3.Sione Mata'utia
4.Peter Mata'utia
5.Aku Uate
6.Jarrod Mullen
7.Trent Hodkinson
8.Sam Mataora
9.Danny Levi
10.Daniel Saifiti
11.Jack Stockwell
12.Korbin Sims
13.Jeremy Smith

14.David Bhana
15.Pauli Pauli
16.Tariq Sims
17.Micky Paea

I think that's our best side for 2016. I rate Tyler ahead of Bhana but, Bhana is lightyears ahead of Randall in terms of defence. Randall has a great workload but too often takes a forward up high only to be driven backwards several metres allowing the opposition to get a roll on.
Randall has improved greatly since 2015 but he just needs to work on that aspect of his game.

Pete does make that backline look more competent at least. He has enough pace to finish a move as well. I believe he will be playing Monday as a last minute change.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Pete does make that backline look more competent at least. He has enough pace to finish a move as well. I believe he will be playing Monday as a last minute change.

I hope so. The other aspect he brings is a much better understanding of defence in the backs (both structures but also reading the play), it is something that has been sadly lacking and may help us reduce the leakage of points that will keep us competitive in games longer.

The closer we can keep scores for longer the more we can improve our competitive culture and get this team building some self belief - I think Peter's experience is potentially an important building block in helping to strengthen that aspect of the team structure.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
1.Dane Gagai
2.Nathan Ross
3.Sione Mata'utia
4.Peter Mata'utia
5.Aku Uate
6.Jarrod Mullen
7.Trent Hodkinson
8.Sam Mataora
9.Danny Levi
10.Daniel Saifiti
11.Jack Stockwell
12.Korbin Sims
13.Jeremy Smith

14.David Bhana
15.Pauli Pauli
16.Tariq Sims
17.Micky Paea

I think that's our best side for 2016. I rate Tyler ahead of Bhana but, Bhana is lightyears ahead of Randall in terms of defence. Randall has a great workload but too often takes a forward up high only to be driven backwards several metres allowing the opposition to get a roll on.
Randall has improved greatly since 2015 but he just needs to work on that aspect of his gam
e.

He is a bit of a "Houston" in defence. Its not as embarrassing since he plays DummyHalf, so he is expected to be a bit of a defensive liability.

Still, he needs some work there. He will never smash the ballrunner, but still tries to; his technique just doesnt match his size and he keeps getting caught out.

Having said that, i think he provides way more spark/structure than Bhana. So as long as Levi isnt playing 80m every week, id have Randell on the bench

Im expecting the same...

He has the match fitness, and (even if he doesnt know the detail of out backline structure) its not like the current lot are clicking.

Last edited: