What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team List Tuesday - discussion thread

Mary will see out the season regardless of what happens.

The board have made it clear they are not interested in results with his continued appointment and they deserve the results that come with it.

I was told he didn't even want Matty Head to coach the Cutters incase he gets shown up again but that decision was made by others.

Having spoken to Widdops family he has no confidence left and is counting the days till he can leave and thats sad.

Never thought i would see the day Paul McGregor the player i admired turn into a selfish lowsome prick who has turned some many people away from the club.

Crush

Coach
I have said all off-season that mcgregors only chance this year was to throw caution to the wind and hope that a young team full of youth and inexperience could score more points than the other team. A team with dufty, mann, field, milne, luciano etc would be raw but better than the alternative.
It was dragons only chance of getting off to a start and gaining in confidence.
It may have failed, sure, but mary wouldn't have died wondering.
But mary is so dilusional that he thinks what didn't work last year will actually work this year.
What does he think that he can achieve with a team like this against the other teams? Doesn't he see the power, skill and game plans that other teams possess?
A team full of young talent that has proven themselves in 20s and cutters last year may have come up short this year, sure, but the team he named today has been tried and tested last year and was lucky to finish 11th. This year they will not be so lucky, WOODEN SPOON is well on the cards.
Bewildering.

Red V for life

Juniors

The board have made it clear they are not interested in results with his continued appointment and they deserve the results that come with it.

I was told he didn't even want Matty Head to coach the Cutters incase he gets shown up again but that decision was made by others.

Having spoken to Widdops family he has no confidence left and is counting the days till he can leave and thats sad.

Never thought i would see the day Paul McGregor the player i admired turn into a selfish lowsome prick who has turned some many people away from the club.

Coast, is that the case with Widdop even if a new (and hopefully) proven coach is appointed?

I thought he had no confidence in the "game plan" he was tasked with implementing and who the hell could blame him? As Captain and a halves player, he is the "public face" of our attacking ineptitude.

Don't get me wrong, he has been in some shocking form for a while but if he has lost confidence in himself and his ability, then that is a real shame imo. A real shame.

We got a glimpse of what he could do early on, but we have just never been able to get the best out of him. Judging by our team list and likely game plan for game 1, that will continue.

Maxwell

Juniors
Mann is 18th man which is a joke, when he has pedestrian paced Nightingale on 1 wing. But he will make a change sometime sat morning . He is a blueprint of the last coach, same structures, same selection policiesand same old make a change before kick off.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Just on the "new" coach statements.

Based on the team list today it is even more evident know that there is no new coacb coming or even been addressed. Anyone under the gun would do the smart thing, create opportunity for excitement and revel in the abilities some of our younger players possess.
The team listed today just reeks of i can do what i want because i'm safe.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

So we have a useless Coach that 99% of supporters dont want and a Captain (if your statement is fact) that doesnt want to be here and most media are suggesting we will end up at the bottom of the table....Well for mine that is a bloody disgrace...its bad enough we on here have to witness this debacle but spare a thought for all those greats that have worn the Red V in the past...it must be pure agony watching their great club disintegrate before their very eyes

kit66

Bench
Agree with everything except Aitken. He's proven himself time and time again to be a reliable first grader. Deserves his spot.

I was very impressed with Aitken early last year, he was doing some good things and had me thinking here's our next Shaun Timmins ( one of my all time favourite Dragons ) but I think Milne and Mann are better options for centres than Aitken or Lafai in both attack and defence Of course if Mann were our 7 or even 6 then by all means leave Aitken out there. I do like the kid though, he'll make a fine 2nd rower some day.

OzDragon

Coach
I was very impressed with Aitken early last year, he was doing some good things and had me thinking here's our next Shaun Timmins ( one of my all time favourite Dragons ) but I think Milne and Mann are better options for centres than Aitken or Lafai in both attack and defence Of course if Mann were our 7 or even 6 then by all means leave Aitken out there. I do like the kid though, he'll make a fine 2nd rower some day.
I've always thought of him as a mini Cooper.

Dragon66

Juniors
Just noticed another interesting point. Penrith have named the last three named in the team list of 21 in the NSW team as well. Very sensible, seeing they have very little chance of being in the starting team, barring a disaster.

While we play stupid mind games by picking a NSW side without the 4 reserve players , but having those four extras playing NSW Cup on Saturday.
These are the sort of meaningless mind games he likes to play which reaffirms the fact that he has no idea of what to do with the side, and that he believes that he is a clever coach. Just dumb.

mickeylane

Bench
Mickey, my view is that it won't make any difference which centre pairing we run out with if McCrone and Widdop are incapable of suppling them with quality ball in suitable attacking opportunities.

That was Marshall and Widdop and McCrone's weakness last season. The only difference this year is no Marshall. Not sure why they should be any better this season, but the first three rounds will tell the story.

Our so called monster pack got monstered by the Rabbits in the CS trial, so not a very reassuring start in that department.
Agree 100% I really want Mann to be the 5/8 w Field being groomed for 2018.. The ONLY chance we have is if we play to our strengths and that's playing a forward orientated power game where we play for field position and sweat on oppositions mistakes coupled with a very aggressive defensive game.. Our backs look like they are onky good for about 14-16 points per game so we need to be slowing the game down ..

mickeylane

Bench
1 word for this selection. BORING. Looks like Mary not looking at staying on past 6 weeks and is selecting a side that will get him the boot.
If MARY goes after round 8 we would have to be at 1-7 or 0-8 - I think the board will leave him in if we are 2-8 - if he does go expect MAthew Head or the dopey duo of young / Hornby to take over.. I think Head could improve this team..

Lewish33

Juniors
Agree 100% I really want Mann to be the 5/8 w Field being groomed for 2018.. The ONLY chance we have is if we play to our strengths and that's playing a forward orientated power game where we play for field position and sweat on oppositions mistakes coupled with a very aggressive defensive game.. Our backs look like they are onky good for about 14-16 points per game so we need to be slowing the game down ..
Sounds like an exciting brand of footy that. Instead of trying to win, we'll be more likely playing to not lose.

Crossbow

Juniors
McClueless.Lafai for Mann and Milne.Hope Lafai goes gangbusters but I won't hold my breath on that one.I am still flabbergasted that Mann and Milne are out of the side.I don't think it will be to long before those boys are back in the team.Some cold hard truths have to be dished out very shortly and if the panthers are on song that won't be long.Mann moves like the Morris boys and Milne is a beast.Weve got Lafai and nighty God bless him .I think after about 80 mins the fat lady will be singing with the home truths that no one can be picked on previous merits.When your too slow move on.There is no place to hide in NRL.So predictable Mary.Boring

The Doc

Juniors
If this team named took on the named cutters team, id put my house on the cutters winning 13+.
Its gunna be a long, LONG, season.

nontime111

Juniors
Im disgusted!
I predict a score of about 28-4 to the Panthers

slow plodders, insanity!!!!

If I was Milne and Mann Id be just as disgusted
A centre pairing of those two would kill it!
Both Mann and Milne are future Origin players, this lumox Mary is such an OAF Im so over his destruction of our once mighty team...

Dragonslayer

First Grade
NYC Team for Round 1 v Penrith Panthers:

1. Steve Marsters

2. Jason Gillard

3. Matheson Johns

4. Zac Lomax

5. Tristan Sailor

6. Joe Lovodua

7. Jackson Willis

8. Josh Dowell

9. Cooper Purcell

10. Matt Sheppard

11. Trent Peoples

12. Jayden Morgan

13. Stuart Mason

Interchange:

14. TJ Uele

15. Max Bailey

16. Hayden Lomax

17. Tom Angel

18. Israel Seufale

19. Jack Cross

20. Dylan Morris

21. Brayden Gallagher

Some good young talent in the squad fir the U20's.
Steve Marsters, Matheson Johns, Zac Lomax, Tristan Sailor, Jackson Willis and Cooper Purcell are one's to keep an eye.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/02/28/nyc_team_round_1..html

Last edited:

Latest posts