Team List Tuesday - round 4

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Dragonslayer, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer Bench

Any changes this week?

I'd like to see Sele get a run in place of Host, not because Host isn't doing ok, I just think he needs s full game rather than 10-15 mins each week, keep up his fitness and get some confidence.
    McCrone should be replaced, but with whom?

We will probably get cut and paste and its difficult not to agree given our win against the Sharks, but some tweaking wouldn't go astray IMO.

Thoughts?

2. carltonsouth79

carltonsouth79 Juniors

Mary won change a winning team I suspect. Apart from injury, I'd expect the same squad to be named. For mine Host and Sims don't provide real impact off the bench. Prefer to see Lucky and/ or onc fit, Mose.

3. kit66

kit66 Juniors

Sims value is his work rate in defence, I don't think Mose or Leilua can match that. I think Host is holding his spot due to his defence as well ( if Matthews wasn't injured he'd likely be there ). We do lack impact off the bench though with only Ah Mau there to make good metres, which he does. Wouldn't hurt to have someone with real impact there in place of a utility that doesn't even get a run. Havili's a little cannonball and can trouble the opposition or Leilua's ball skills could be handy. Mann's a great utility should someone get injured but you wouldn't call him an impact player either.

Personally I'd give Nona a shot for this game, on the bench to start but replacing McCrone, sooner rather than later. A good long kicking game would be handy to keep turning the Warriors around and wear them down as fatigue seems to be their weakness so far this year and he also gives us better attacking options close to their line.
    Won't happen of course.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  4. possm

possm First Grade

It is all very simple. Mann to 7 and Havili on the bench.

5. Dragonsteve2

Dragonsteve2 Juniors

I understand the principle of not changing a winning team. Morale and selection stability are such important ingredients in building team success. But a coach who does not look to improve a team when weaknesses are revealed is only making the next failure more certain.

To me there are 3 major areas demanding change:

1. What will Mary do with Mann? 8 minutes of game time in 3 rounds of footy is good for no one. If he is not getting a game in the NRL he must play NSW Cup. But if I was selecting the team I would swap him with Aitken. I love Aitken's strong running but the defensive weaknesses revealed in the Aitken/McDonald partnership are too obvious for all opponents to target. Aitken would be much more value off the bench than 8 minutes/0 minutes Mann.

2. (Already alluded to) How to address the defensive frailties on the right?

3. What to do about McCrone? Are his strengths in organisation, defence and milking penalties in goal kicking range/conceding penalties when the defensive line is under pressure enough to compensate for successive games where his kicking game both denied his team attacking options and placed the team's defence under needless pressure? So wasteful not to utilise McDonald's skills with the bomb. Is Mann an option? Is Nona with a much better kicking game an option? Either could be given a start with McCrone on the bench as a back-up.

For my views I offer no qualifications other than 50+ plus years of watching the Dragons and a pair of red and white eyes. I expect no change except possibly a commitment to give Mann some more reasonable game time. However failure to address Questions 2 & 3 will just assist the Warriors to develop a successive game plan.

6. Dannyboy80

Dannyboy80 Juniors

Mary had said he thinks mcCrone is the best kicker in the club, pretty much ruling out Nona from a start I'd think. My guess would be that he names McCrone again, purely from a defensive "dragons footy" standpoint, and gives more kicking responsibility to "grubber to the ankles of the opposition " widdop

7. Crush

Crush Juniors

I'd like to see Nona in for McCrone but I will not hold my breath.....

goggles, Qdf and dragonssamy61 like this.
  8. dino2170

dino2170 Juniors

mcrone is crap

goggles likes this.
  9. Old Timer

Old Timer First Grade

You will soon see what Sims and Host bring to the side if you bring in Mose & Luc.
    Mose & Luc are not fit enough to play 15 -20 minutes in 1st grade and if the opposition are hard on attack whilst they are out there, we will concede tries as we are already weekend by our outside backs.
    Some people think they will bring some awesome attacking play that will just be sensational and game changing, well without a speedster on the end of anything they try to do, it would all amount to nothing most likely.
    Let's have a look at Mose & Luc when they string 2 or 3 attacking games together in ISP that see us win by 3 tries or more in each of those games.

carltonsouth79, goggles, Qdf and 3 others like this.
  10. TomRedVRiver

TomRedVRiver Juniors

If Nona plays first grade you will find out why he hasn't got a sniff after all this time.

ALSGI likes this.
  11. Smurf

Smurf Juniors

It will be cut and paste until injuries .

tumbidragon likes this.
  12. Divine

Divine Bench

Kurt Mann will force his way into the starting lineup through his stunning form off the bench

ALSGI likes this.
  13. Dragsters

Dragsters Juniors

Don't u mean ON the bench?

goggles and Divine like this.
  14. Dragsters

Dragsters Juniors

I suspect his team would be infinitely better with Milne in the centre's, Mann or Nona at half and Havilii or an extra forward on the bench.

goggles, Qdf and Country Dragon like this.
  15. ALSGI

ALSGI Juniors

Agree, he was unwanted in NRL heading to Qld Cup until we through him a line wasn't he?

16. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer Bench

Warriors

1 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (C)
    2 Tuimoala Lolohea
    3 David Fusitu'a
    4 Solomone Kata
    5 Ken Maumalo
    6 Mafoa'aeata Hingano
    7 Shaun Johnson
    8 Albert Vete
    9 Issac Luke
    10 Jacob Lillyman
    11 Bodene Thompson
    12 Ryan Hoffman
    13 Simon Mannering

Interchange:
    14 Erin Clark
    15 Charlie Gubb
    16 Sam Lisone
    17 Bunty Afoa

Reserves:
    18 James Gavet
    20 Ligi Sao
    21 Blake Ayshford
    22 Kieran Foran

17. Crush

Crush Juniors

Is he worse or better than McCrone?

Drakon likes this.
  18. Alec's-saints

Alec's-saints Juniors

warriors fowards are mud compared to ours. foran should be playing reserves this week he will be underdone, saints at home 19+

19. mickeylane

mickeylane Juniors

Dtagons hAve to learn their lesson from not shutting down Corey Norman.. Shut down Johnston and the Dragons forwards will do the rest!!

20. Dragons_Head

Dragons_Head Juniors

A little harsh if you ask me. The same was said about Cody Walker and I think we can all agree that he has more than held his own since his debut. I watched plenty of both of them in the Q Cup and they were the best halves getting around without an NRL contract. Nona has a quality kicking game which we lack right now and as long as his defence is up to first grade standard I think he'd be a good replacement for McCrone

Crush and goggles like this.