What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team List Tuesday - round 4

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Any changes this week?

I'd like to see Sele get a run in place of Host, not because Host isn't doing ok, I just think he needs s full game rather than 10-15 mins each week, keep up his fitness and get some confidence.
McCrone should be replaced, but with whom?

We will probably get cut and paste and its difficult not to agree given our win against the Sharks, but some tweaking wouldn't go astray IMO.

Thoughts?

carltonsouth79

First Grade
Mary won change a winning team I suspect. Apart from injury, I'd expect the same squad to be named. For mine Host and Sims don't provide real impact off the bench. Prefer to see Lucky and/ or onc fit, Mose.

kit66

Bench
Mary won change a winning team I suspect. Apart from injury, I'd expect the same squad to be named. For mine Host and Sims don't provide real impact off the bench. Prefer to see Lucky and/ or onc fit, Mose.

Sims value is his work rate in defence, I don't think Mose or Leilua can match that. I think Host is holding his spot due to his defence as well ( if Matthews wasn't injured he'd likely be there ). We do lack impact off the bench though with only Ah Mau there to make good metres, which he does. Wouldn't hurt to have someone with real impact there in place of a utility that doesn't even get a run. Havili's a little cannonball and can trouble the opposition or Leilua's ball skills could be handy. Mann's a great utility should someone get injured but you wouldn't call him an impact player either.

Personally I'd give Nona a shot for this game, on the bench to start but replacing McCrone, sooner rather than later. A good long kicking game would be handy to keep turning the Warriors around and wear them down as fatigue seems to be their weakness so far this year and he also gives us better attacking options close to their line.
Won't happen of course.

Last edited:

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
I understand the principle of not changing a winning team. Morale and selection stability are such important ingredients in building team success. But a coach who does not look to improve a team when weaknesses are revealed is only making the next failure more certain.

To me there are 3 major areas demanding change:

1. What will Mary do with Mann? 8 minutes of game time in 3 rounds of footy is good for no one. If he is not getting a game in the NRL he must play NSW Cup. But if I was selecting the team I would swap him with Aitken. I love Aitken's strong running but the defensive weaknesses revealed in the Aitken/McDonald partnership are too obvious for all opponents to target. Aitken would be much more value off the bench than 8 minutes/0 minutes Mann.

2. (Already alluded to) How to address the defensive frailties on the right?

3. What to do about McCrone? Are his strengths in organisation, defence and milking penalties in goal kicking range/conceding penalties when the defensive line is under pressure enough to compensate for successive games where his kicking game both denied his team attacking options and placed the team's defence under needless pressure? So wasteful not to utilise McDonald's skills with the bomb. Is Mann an option? Is Nona with a much better kicking game an option? Either could be given a start with McCrone on the bench as a back-up.

For my views I offer no qualifications other than 50+ plus years of watching the Dragons and a pair of red and white eyes. I expect no change except possibly a commitment to give Mann some more reasonable game time. However failure to address Questions 2 & 3 will just assist the Warriors to develop a successive game plan.

Dannyboy80

Juniors
Mary had said he thinks mcCrone is the best kicker in the club, pretty much ruling out Nona from a start I'd think. My guess would be that he names McCrone again, purely from a defensive "dragons footy" standpoint, and gives more kicking responsibility to "grubber to the ankles of the opposition " widdop

Old Timer

Coach
You will soon see what Sims and Host bring to the side if you bring in Mose & Luc.
Mose & Luc are not fit enough to play 15 -20 minutes in 1st grade and if the opposition are hard on attack whilst they are out there, we will concede tries as we are already weekend by our outside backs.
Some people think they will bring some awesome attacking play that will just be sensational and game changing, well without a speedster on the end of anything they try to do, it would all amount to nothing most likely.
Let's have a look at Mose & Luc when they string 2 or 3 attacking games together in ISP that see us win by 3 tries or more in each of those games.

Divine

Bench
Kurt Mann will force his way into the starting lineup through his stunning form off the bench

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Warriors

1 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (C)
2 Tuimoala Lolohea
3 David Fusitu'a
4 Solomone Kata
5 Ken Maumalo
6 Mafoa'aeata Hingano
7 Shaun Johnson
8 Albert Vete
9 Issac Luke
10 Jacob Lillyman
11 Bodene Thompson
12 Ryan Hoffman
13 Simon Mannering

Interchange:
14 Erin Clark
15 Charlie Gubb
16 Sam Lisone
17 Bunty Afoa

Reserves:
18 James Gavet
20 Ligi Sao
21 Blake Ayshford
22 Kieran Foran

Alec's-saints

Juniors
Warriors

1 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (C)
2 Tuimoala Lolohea
3 David Fusitu'a
4 Solomone Kata
5 Ken Maumalo
6 Mafoa'aeata Hingano
7 Shaun Johnson
8 Albert Vete
9 Issac Luke
10 Jacob Lillyman
11 Bodene Thompson
12 Ryan Hoffman
13 Simon Mannering

Interchange:
14 Erin Clark
15 Charlie Gubb
16 Sam Lisone
17 Bunty Afoa

Reserves:
18 James Gavet
20 Ligi Sao
21 Blake Ayshford
22 Kieran Foran
warriors fowards are mud compared to ours. foran should be playing reserves this week he will be underdone, saints at home 19+

mickeylane

Bench
Dtagons hAve to learn their lesson from not shutting down Corey Norman.. Shut down Johnston and the Dragons forwards will do the rest!!

Dragons_Head

Juniors
If Nona plays first grade you will find out why he hasn't got a sniff after all this time.

A little harsh if you ask me. The same was said about Cody Walker and I think we can all agree that he has more than held his own since his debut. I watched plenty of both of them in the Q Cup and they were the best halves getting around without an NRL contract. Nona has a quality kicking game which we lack right now and as long as his defence is up to first grade standard I think he'd be a good replacement for McCrone