What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team List vs Bulldogs

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hayne had his best game since coming back from XFL and you want to move him to the wing? He played well due to the fact he had options on his left and right...
He played well because he came looking for the ball. You can do that on the wing just as well as at centre, but without the workload in defence. Why do you think Hayne stopped looking for the ball at the end of the game when we needed him involved?

TheParraboy

Staff member
He played well because he came looking for the ball. You can do that on the wing just as well as at centre, but without the workload in defence. Why do you think Hayne stopped looking for the ball at the end of the game when we needed him involved?

Hayne puts us in winning positions, the rest of the side losing it, then hoping Hayne comes back to win the game on his own?

We cant have that, he would command a million again, it will destabilise the salary cap and playing roster eh?

Happy MEel

First Grade
Surely they would be looking at everything. My opinion is that we've probably taken too much risk on talented blokes with shit attitudes and changing that would make us more consistent and improve the team as a whole.
I don’t necessarily agree with your assessment but regardless, wouldn’t that count as a problem with the roster?

Happy MEel

First Grade
You can also do that from fullback. Has Guth or French’s workrate been that exemplary at the back this year? I don’t think so.

Having Hayne playing a fullback role attacking the line should also give Norman and Moses more time and space as the defensive line also have to number up on him. I think they can get away with putting more pressure on our halves with French or Guth there.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don’t necessarily agree with your assessment but regardless, wouldn’t that count as a problem with the roster?
But one that wasn't evident prior to this year. So the problem is a ticking time bomb that went f**ken boom, rather than a lack of talent in the squad.

Obviously lack of talent will also lead to lack of competitiveness, but it will be consistent across seasons (e.g. 2011-2013) rather than out of the blue like this year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You can also do that from fullback. Has Guth or French’s workrate been that exemplary at the back this year? I don’t think so.
It is Gutherson's strength so yes I would say it's exemplary. For Hayne it is his biggest weakness, and all the work off the ball is arguably more tiring than a few extra tackles at centre (and for a team defending their line the fullback could be making more tackles than a centre anyway). Hayne needs to be able to fade in and out of games for the simple reason that he doesn't have the endurance for anything else.
Having Hayne playing a fullback role attacking the line should also give Norman and Moses more time and space as the defensive line also have to number up on him. I think they can get away with putting more pressure on our halves with French or Guth there.
I agree this would happen some of the time.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Nah mate we just need a couple of players and everything will be sweet. There is not much wrong at all 29 wins in two years remember that FFS!!
So how'd we win so many games if our roster was shit? Don't say a f**ken word about luck, merkin. You've already implied it doesn't exist.

Happy MEel

First Grade
But one that wasn't evident prior to this year. So the problem is a ticking time bomb that went f**ken boom, rather than a lack of talent in the squad.

Obviously lack of talent will also lead to lack of competitiveness, but it will be consistent across seasons (e.g. 2011-2013) rather than out of the blue like this year.
So which players now have shit attitudes and why didn’t they influence last year’s squad?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So how'd we win so many games if our roster was shit? Don't say a f**ken word about luck, merkin. You've already implied it doesn't exist.
There were a whole host of reasons why we went well last year, getting away with murder in the play the ball, an easy draw, playing on the emotion of the salary cap scandal, much faster game helping our mobile pack, Semi being a freak.

We won 16 games but our F/A was shithouse for a top 4 side. I thought besides the Storm it was a ordinary comp and we were a bit of a anomaly. I think our biggest problem this season was our off season. Training like an AFL team having our pack look like mountain Goats for round 1 and when Penrith finally stopped dropping the ball we were totally blown off the park and we haven’t looked good since. The crackdown has hurt our team more than any other as I said yesterday we have been more competitive the last month when the games have been allowed to flow and it was another slow game against Newcastle and we struggled again.

Happy MEel

First Grade
It’s not as simplistic as saying the squad is/was shit or not. IMO the interpretation of the rules suited us last year, losing gentle and the cougar really hurt us this year, our apparent focus on leaner forwards and the AFL merkin’s conditioning were mistakes, coaching/tactics and team selections have been off the mark, losing so many consecutive games at the start of the season destroyed our confidence and we have plenty of merkins horribly out of form this year.

Gazzamatta

Coach
So has the AFL guy gone and if so who is his replacement or has BA agreed that he can do that job as well?

Happy MEel

First Grade
Well unlike talent, attitude is something that can fluctuate drastically in the short term.
Well in that case it is just as likely the attitude will improve next year. I’m assuming you’re talking about Norman. His talent isn’t likely to decline next year and it is far superior to any rumoured replacement. If his attitude is just as likely to improve than not to improve he’s still the lesser risk

Latest posts