What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team of the 90s to be announced.

hrundi99

First Grade
Blade said:
The Raiders 94 side would whip all teams before them. Greatest side of the 90's!

Not before or since. Parramatta Eels of the 1980's and the Brisbane Broncos class of '98 were better.

You obviously forget the brilliant 1998 Brisbane Broncos. The most brilliant all-round side since the electrifying Parramtta Eels of the 1980's.

The 1994 Radiers were good, very good, but they did not possess the all-round brilliance of the '98 Brisbane Broncos. Close but no cigar.

Matter of opinion. I disagree with yours.

Each of the Raiders' starting 13 were Internationals. They thumped a very good Bulldogs side as well.

Tigertread said:
This is the Team.
1- Darren Lockyer Qld
2- Michael Hancock Qld
3- Mal Meninga Qld (C)
4- Laurie Daley NSW
5- Wendell Sailor Qld
6- Brad Fittler NSW
7- Allan Langer Qld
13-Brad Clyde NSW
12-Paul Sironen NSW
11-Gorden Tallis Qld
10-Glenn Lazarus NSW
9- Steve Walters Qld
8- Shane Webcke Qld

I think I would have leant toward Fittler at lock and Clyde in the second row with Tallis. Daley at 5/8 and Renouf in the centres.

But what do I know anyways...

Goldthorpe

Bench
1. B Mullins
2. A Ettingshauen
3. M Meninga
4. S Renouf
5. W Sailor
6. L Daley
7. R Stuart
13. B Fittler
12. B Clyde
11. G Tallis
10. P Harragon
9. S Walters
8. G Lazurus

Cheers
AJ

Disco

Bench
I cannot believe not even 1 Manly player made the team, a team that made 3 consectutive finals, with the 96 team being argueably the best of the decade

Ridge???
Hill???
Innes???
Lyons???
Toovey???
Menzies???
Kosef????
Gillespe???
Serderias???

And Gartner and Carroll didnt even make the shortlist?????

The omission of Ridge and Menzies were the most outragous i mean hill had meniga, Daley and renouf ahead of him, Lyons had fittler and Lamb
and Tooves had friggin Langer, Stuart, Johns and both Walters

But Ridge well lockyer was the best fullback but ridges contributed more in the 90s than lockyer

As for Menzies, Siro was a champ, but a champ who played his best in the 80s, Menzies is one of the top tryscoring forwards of all time, won a premiership played in three finals and represented at all levls all in the 90s

Mystery Man

Juniors
Unfortunately, the selectors were incapable of following the criteria for selection, which was that players be judged on their performances in the 90's only. It is obvious that they let certain player's performances in the 80's and the current decade influence their decisions.

I have a hard time accepting Lockyer's and Webcke's selections in the team, particularly Webcke ahead of Harrigan. While I think that, overall, Webcke is the better player, he didn't contribute as much during the 90's. Similarly, Meninga should not have been selected ahead of Renouf. While I would have selected Daley at five-eighth , he was, incredibly, not even nominated in that position. Since this was the case, Renouf, clearly the best centre of the 90's, and Daley, arguably the best player of the 90's, should have been the centre pairing. Meninga was a great a player, but his impact in the 90's was less than that of Renouf and Daley, and I have little doubt that he was a sentimental selection.

The team was a good idea, but was ruined but a lack of objectivity and a lack of flexibility in the positions that players could be considered for.

Kasper

Bench
Alot of good wingers in the 90s.
This would be mine:

1.Lockyer
2.Sailor
3.Renouf
4.Ettinghausen
5.Nadruku/nagas/sing/Wishart
6.Fittler
7.Langer
8.Webcke
9.Walters
10.Harrogan/Lazarus
11.Tallis
12.Furner
13.Clyde

Blade

Juniors
I can see the argument for Cliff Lyons not getting a nomination also.

Dally M Player of the Year:

1990 -- Cliff Lyons (Manly Warringah)
1994 -- Cliff Lyons (Manly Warringah)

Rugby League Week Player of the Year Award:

1994 -- Cliff Lyons (Manly Warringah)

Rugby League Players of the Year
When David Middleton started editing the official Rugby League series of books in 1988, he continued the tradition, though he chooses to name 5 players rather than just one.

1991 Gary Belcher (Canberra),
Glenn Lazarus (Canberra),
Cliff Lyons (Manly Warringah),
Mal Meninga (Canberra),
Peter Sterling (Parramatta)

He (David Middleton) also selects a best team:

1991 Gary Belcher (Canberra); Michael Hancock (Brisbane),
Mal Meninga (Canberra),
Andrew Ettingshausen (Cronulla Sutherland),
John Fergusson (Canberra); Cliff Lyons (Manly Warringah),
Peter Sterling (Parramatta); Steve Roach (Balmain),
Ben Elias (Balmain), Glenn Lazarus (Canberra),
Paul Sironen (Balmain), John Cartwright (Penrith),
Bob Lindner (Western Suburbs).

Manly stars like Toovey and Menzies are also worth mentioning.

knightingale

Juniors
Joke of the year that team is

Webcke ahead of Harrigan. What a joke.

IMO Harrigan is a better player than Webcke anyway (and the 2nd best prop in the last 20 years behind Lazurus), but in the 90s there is no doubt whatsoever Harrigan was miles ahead of Webcke.

I would have had Brasher over Lockyer.

Sailor is a joke. Wishart all the way.

Stuart was better than Langer and since Lockyer and Webcke got in the side playing less than half the decade, Johns could have playing since 1994.

My team would have been -

1. Brasher
2. Hancock
3. T Hill
4. Daley
5. Wishart
6. Fittler
7. Johns
8. Lazurus
9. S Walters
10. Harrigan
11. Sironen
12. Clyde
13. Kosef

Kiwi

First Grade
Ok people are saying Lockyer and Webcke didn't play enough in the 90's to warrant selection, yet no one wants Meninga out of the side for that very same reason. Meninga retired in 94, and Lockyer and Webcke made their debuts in 95 with all three having 5 seasons in the ARL/NRL in the 90's.

On Lyons he was a very good player, but not in the same class as Daley, Fittler or even Walters.

On Menzies he has never been the same since Lyons retired, he has had one great season since then, otherwise he has done little.

Kasper

Bench
knightingale said:

IMO Harrigan is a better player than Webcke anyway (and the 2nd best prop in the last 20 years behind Lazurus), but in the 90s there is no doubt whatsoever Harrigan was miles ahead of Webcke.

Stuart was better than Langer and since Lockyer and Webcke got in the side playing less than half the decade, Johns could have playing since 1994.

1. Brasher
2. Hancock
3. T Hill
4. Daley
5. Wishart
6. Fittler
7. Johns
8. Lazurus
9. S Walters
10. Harrigan
11. Sironen
12. Clyde
13. Kosef

No Sailor isn't a joke Michael Hancock is.

Kiwi

First Grade
knightingale said:

1. Brasher
2. Hancock
3. T Hill
4. Daley
5. Wishart
6. Fittler
7. Johns
8. Lazurus
9. S Walters
10. Harrigan
11. Sironen
12. Clyde
13. Kosef

Someone is very anti Broncos. Face it the Broncos dominated the 90's winning 4 titles, you have to expect them to dominate the side with players that dominated in their team throughout the decade, and like or loathe Sailor he was the best winger of the 90's hands down, and would still be the first winger picked in the Australian test team now if he hadn't switched codes.

On Johns making it, :-s take away the last 4 years, 5 tops and Johns has done squat. It took him a long time to become consistant and to play to his full potential.

knightingale

Juniors
Kiwi said:
Someone is very anti Broncos. Face it the Broncos dominated the 90's winning 4 titles

Brisbane 3 GF total - 3 wins (97 doesn't count as all the top teams were with the ARL).
Canberra - 3 GF total - 2 wins.
Canterbury - 3 GF total - 1 win.
Dragons - 4 GF total - 0 wins.
Manly - 3 GF total - 1 win.

The Broncos had a team full of very good players, much like Canterbury the past few years. Teams which win comps, but contain very few players which would make team of the year.

Manly dominated in 95-97 just unlucky in 2 Grand Finals. Easily have won 3. Broncos were lucky to win in 93.

And my club tally is

Canb - 111
Bal - 11
Bris - 11
Man - 11
New - 11
Syd - 1
Pen - 1
Ill - 1

I included Fittler in both Penrith and Sydnet Rstrs as he excelled for both clubs.

knightingale

Juniors
Kiwi said:
On Johns making it, :-s take away the last 4 years, 5 tops and Johns has done squat. It took him a long time to become consistant and to play to his full potential.

I think you're forgetting about 95,98,99

His best years in order are - 01, 98, 99, 95, 02, 94, 00, 96 (didn't play enough in 97 to include)

Lockyers best years in order are - 02, 01, 00, 98, 99, 96 (97 was SL so doens't count - and 95 didn't play enough)

Kiwi

First Grade
knightingale said:
Kiwi said:
Someone is very anti Broncos. Face it the Broncos dominated the 90's winning 4 titles

Brisbane 3 GF total - 3 wins (97 doesn't count as all the top teams were with the ARL).
Canberra - 3 GF total - 2 wins.
Canterbury - 3 GF total - 1 win.
Dragons - 4 GF total - 0 wins.
Manly - 3 GF total - 1 win.

The Broncos had a team full of very good players, much like Canterbury the past few years. Teams which win comps, but contain very few players which would make team of the year.

Manly dominated in 95-97 just unlucky in 2 Grand Finals. Easily have won 3. Broncos were lucky to win in 93.

And my club tally is

Canb - 111
Bal - 11
Bris - 11
Man - 11
New - 11
Syd - 1
Pen - 1
Ill - 1

I included Fittler in both Penrith and Sydnet Rstrs as he excelled for both clubs.

If you wanna look at making the grand final being as good as winning it, why not carry that over to finals football, and the Broncos made the finals in the 90's more than any other team.

How could you say the likes of Tallis, Sailor, Langer, Kevin and Kerrod Walters, Lockyer, Lazarus, Renouf, Smith, Thorn, Gilmiester, Hancock, Carne, ect weren't more than just "very good" players and think someone is gonna take you seriously.

Kiwi

First Grade
knightingale said:
Kiwi said:

I think you're forgetting about 95,98,99

His best years in order are - 01, 98, 99, 95, 02, 94, 00, 96 (didn't play enough in 97 to include)

Lockyers best years in order are - 02, 01, 00, 98, 99, 96 (97 was SL so doens't count - and 95 didn't play enough)

I'm not forgetting anything. Johns did squat for a while. Sure he had the potential, and showed glimpses of what he could do, but didn't really start doing it consistantly untill the very late 90's. Matty Johns was more of a player than Joey was for most of his time at the Knights.

Latest posts