What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team of The Year Thus Far

D

Deleted member 10972

They are a very good team, but not too many standout individuals. As Pete said, the best players like Copley, Dodds, Gagai, Murphy, Hala, Ford, Lingwoodock, Sims and Lui are all great, but there are other players who are just better in those positions.

Love to see them field:

1. Todd Murphy
2. Jharal Yow Yeh
3. Willie Tupou (Rhys Matsen or Josh Williams if he is still injured)
4. Dale Copley
5. Dane Gagai
6. Corey Norman
7. Ben Hunt
8. David Hala
9. Kurt Baptiste
10. Mitchell Dodds
11. Dunamis Lui
12. Kurt Lingwoodock
13. Guy Ford

15. Tariq Sims

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 10972

So far, definites for the NYC top team would have to include:

Kane Morgan (Souths) - wing

Taioalo Vaivai (Souths) - centre

Joe Vickery (Dragons) - wing

Siosaia Vave (Titans) - prop

Jesse Bromwich (Storm) - prop

Tinirau Arona (Panthers) - prop

Jamie Buhrer (Manly) - lock

Pakisonasi Afu (Bulldogs) - second row

Jake Marketo (Dragons) - second row

Blake Davey (Manly) - centre

Others that would be close include Sam Joe (Storm), Kane Linnett (Dragons), Jason Baiteri (Eels), David Hala (Broncos).

Others that would be close include Sam Joe (Storm), Kane Linnett (Dragons), Jason Baiteri (Eels), David Hala (Broncos).

Excellent summation Mack. For the fullback spot. I'd say it be a 2 horse race between Jake Mullaney (Tigers) & Gareth Widdop (Storm). Mal Webster (Souths) would probably be up there to, But maybe I am a little biast.

I'd pick Widdop personally, More of a playmaker.

D

Deleted member 10972

Webster is a great fullback, but was pretty poor as a halfback mid-season, and was wasted there. His defence is a little bit suss too.

This season, it has to be either Mullany or Widdop definitely. I believe I left out Merrin too, he is all quality.

D

Deleted member 10972

The only 'Dogs players that should go close to being in the NYC team of the year are Martin Tapau and Rhys Jack.

Paki Afu has been the most devastating forward in the comp. 19 linebreaks by a prop/backrower is outstanding.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
He has also scored a sh*t load of tries, but that doesn't make him a great player like Tapau.

Tapau is in there every week, plays 60+ minutes, always averages over 100 meters, over 25 tackles, 3 or 4 offloads.. He is very consistent and for a prop pulls some great numbers as well as having the skill that he has (some of his offloads.. wow.)

Where as Paki might have some line breaks and barge over tries, but he is inconsistent and very unfit. He always struggles and is only ever able to play 20 minutes or so a match. His tries are just close barge over tries (most of them) because he's so big and over all, his stats are unimpressive.

Afu rarely rarely makes more than about 8 runs and I can't remember the last time I saw him crack 100 meters in a match.

He can be a devastatingly great player, but he has so much work to do.

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane Broncos Under 20's at Full Strength:

1. Todd Murphey
2. Jharal Yow Yeh
3. Gerard Beale
4. Dale Copley
5. Dane Gagai
6. Corey Norman
7. Ben Hunt
8. David Hala
9. Kurt Baptiste
10. Dunamuis Lui
11. Willie Tupou
12. Kurtis Lingwoodock
13. Guy Ford (c)

14. Tariq Sims
15. Rhys Matsen
16. Josh Coyle
17. Mitchell Dodds

Tupou is being groomed for the backrow where he absolutely annihilated the Storm during a brief stint where the Broncos got their asses handed to them. Beale slots into the centres comfortably - though injury seems to be hindering his career unfortunately.

Rhys Matsen is a handy utility, sadly we haven't been able to find him a position just yet although I didn't mind the look of him at dummy half - against the Cowboys he played much better than Baptiste, those were the days though...

Josh Coyle was a great partner up front with Hala - reminded me a lot like Nick Kenny, hit well in defence and ran with a lot of intent. Sadly he's out injured.

Word has it management is keeping the majority of the boys in the Toyota Cup next year which in my opinion will be ideal with the number of prospects coming into the side next year.

D

Deleted member 10972

I've been impressed by the Dragons wingers.

Vickery and Fai Fai Loa.

Top players IMO.

Linnett I rate above Whare.

Lox

Juniors
how about james gavet from the nz warriors on the bench, this guy is an offloading machine...

Noa

First Grade
Dane Chisholm is really warming up now. In ONLY 9 runs tonight for the Storm his stats were 198m, 2 trys, 3 line-breaks & 4 tackle-breaks.

If he doesnt miss 2 months this kid would be talked about as one of the real guns of the U-20's

isaiah

Bench

who would be your playmakers, i like shaun johnson of nz and robert lui

D

Deleted member 10972

The halfback would be any of Luke Kelly (Storm - 13 games for 28 try assists, 19 linebreak assists), Beau Henry (Dragons - 16 games for 26 try assists, 24 linebreak assists) or Shaun Johnson (Warriors - 17 games for 33 try assists, 21 linebreak assists).

Five-eighth would have to be Robert Lui (15 games for 24 try assists, 22 linebreak assists), unless you move Johnson to five-eighth.

There are no other halves in contention really. Mortimer was right up there but has since been playing mostly in first grade, and the same applies for Kieran Foran. Most of the other regular halves like Mick Picker (Raiders), Sam Williams (Raiders), Albert Kelly (Eels), TK Amosa (Eels), Daly Cherry-Evans (Manly), Darren Nichols (Tigers), Ryan Stig (Knights), Corey Norman (Broncos), Matt Mundine (Rabbitohs) have put in consistent performances without being absolute standouts like the Henry, Kelly, Johnson and Lui.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
I'll reiterate my point of Martin Tapau being the Bulldogs best player and one of the best props in the NYC.

Another stellar performance from the big 18 year old - 12 runs for 125 meters, 38 tackles with 3 missed, 1 offload and 4 tackle busts.

isaiah

Bench
I notice the Sharks aren't getting any mentions. Fair enough, we're off the pace in NYC, but a couple of players there look likely.
How do people rate Ben Orcher (fullback/five-eighth) and Lancen Joudo (hooker)?
To me, Orcher hasn't progressed as quickly as I'd like, but there's definite potential there.

awesome game by orcher in the one point loss to the tearaway comp leaders. just by the stats he would have been close to the sharks best on that day against quality opposition.

fortae

Bench
I'll reiterate my point of Martin Tapau being the Bulldogs best player and one of the best props in the NYC.

Another stellar performance from the big 18 year old - 12 runs for 125 meters, 38 tackles with 3 missed, 1 offload and 4 tackle busts.

Don't worry. He's got his head stuck in the stats and hasn't seen Afu's form drop. You couldn't rate Fai Fai Loa or Linnett so highly otherwise ...

Taupau is 19 though.