What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team songs (and what influenced them)

Rife

Juniors
When our teams win part of the enjoyment is singing the team song (either at the ground, at the leagues club after the game, etc) to celebrate.

But where did each team song come from?

For example: The South Sydney Rabbitoh's team song was actually appropriated from the American paratrooper song from the Second World War 'Blood Upon the Risers (Gory, gory, what a hell of a way to die)', here:
Does anyone else know where other team songs came from?

When our teams win part of the enjoyment is singing the team song (either at the ground, at the leagues club after the game, etc) to celebrate.

For example: The South Sydney Rabbitoh's team song was actually appropriated from the American paratrooper song from the Second World War 'Blood Upon the Risers (Gory, gory, what a hell of a way to die)', here:

You are incorrect.

The American paratroopers song was appropriated from a famous Christian hymn -- the Battle Hymn of the Republic. That is the most famous and original version of the song.

South Sydney almost certainly appropriated their song from the original Battle Hymn and sped it up.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
You are incorrect.

The American paratroopers song was appropriated from a famous Christian hymn -- the Battle Hymn of the Republic. That is the most famous and original version of the song.

South Sydney almost certainly appropriated their song from the original Battle Hymn and sped it up.
Good call Adabert, the roosters song is an adaptation of this:

grozzy

Juniors
Up Up Cronulla is from part of this old tune. What makes it so special is it's only sung after a victory.
Glory Glory to South Sydney is the only other club song I know. All the others are largely forgettable.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
From memory

Brisbane - We're the Broncos
Canberra - Mighty Green Machine
Canterbury - We are the Mighty Bulldogs
Cronulla - Up Up Cronulla
Manly - We are the Manly Boys
Melbourne - We are the Storm
Newcastle - Go Hard Go Knights ??? I'm sure this isn't actually their song
Cowboys - The Cowboys are my Team
Eels - Click go the Eels
Panthers - C'mon the Mighty Panthers
Dragons - When the Saints Go Marching In
Rabbitohs - Glory Glory to South Sydney
Roosters - Here come the Roosters

Titans & Warriors I have NFI, Wests Tigers I can't find lyrics to their actual song (not the Eye of the Tiger)

beave

Coach
You are incorrect.

As a Frenchmen, no one is more qualified to talk about military dittys that involve victorious themes...... ‘cause you know.....

beave

Coach
And no one has a more masculine and catchy team song than the boys from the North.

Inspired by boys camping trips and long rides in the night...... Not that there’s anything wrong with that......

roofromoz

First Grade
"Go The Mighty Panthers" was released in the late 80s / early 90s and performed by Jane Scali, of Young Talent Time fame. Not sure about the story behind the writing of it. etc.

The song that I believe preceded has a lot more of a jaunty tune and vocally sounds like Up, Up Cronulla. It's on a CD that was released by the club in the early 2000s that has I think 6 tracks on it. It had a few other songs that were used for various ads, etc. in the late 1990s / early 2000s.

One of them is the rather forgettable Panther Rap, with Rodney O (remember him?) and was used during the Super League.

carcharias

Immortal
I’m pretty sure the Sharks is a complete rip off of beer barrel polka .
At least it’s a beer song though.

carcharias

Immortal
Up Up Cronulla is from part of this old tune. What makes it so special is it's only sung after a victory.
Glory Glory to South Sydney is the only other club song I know. All the others are largely forgettable.
You beat me to it

Most people think it’s called roll out the barrels

RazorRam0n

Juniors
knights song....da da da dum da.

current players don't remember the song
new players copying current players

Latest posts