What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Broncos

Meth

Staff member
I'll take

1 ROGER TUIVASA-SHECK (c)
2 DAVID FUSITU’A
3 PETA HIKU
4 SOLOMONE KATA
5 KEN MAUMALO
6 BLAKE GREEN
7 SHAUN JOHNSON
8 BUNTY AFOA
9 ISSAC LUKE
10 AGNATIUS PAASI
11 LEIVAHA PULU
12 TOHU HARRIS
13 SIMON MANNERING

Interchange:
14 JAZZ TEVAGA
15 SAM LISONE
16 ADAM BLAIR
17 LIGI SAO

Meth

Staff member
I'm not entirely sold on Sao or opposed to Gelling...just seems to be a waste having Gelling on the bench at the moment- but then again, with Mannering and Tevaga in the side and Luke playing so well, Sao might be surplus to requirements.

BLN2

Juniors
Swap Blair and Paasi around, and that would be my team too. I think Mannering will get another game on the bench though.

Tevaga is doing the Elijah Taylor role too well in the forwards ATM, Mannering and Blair are propping/locking for 60 mins+ which gives us the option to carry a back/utility forward in Gelling. But Gelling needs game time in reserve grade or he'll fall behind fitness wise.

How stacked will the bench be when Gavet returns in a couple weeks??

jaseg

Juniors
I'm not entirely sold on Sao or opposed to Gelling...just seems to be a waste having Gelling on the bench at the moment- but then again, with Mannering and Tevaga in the side and Luke playing so well, Sao might be surplus to requirements.

I was thinking the other way around last week - what was the point of Gelling with Mannering on the bench? I'd rather have an extra big body (was thinking more Satae than Sao, but Sao has done well so no objections there), given the only big guy on the bench was Lisone. Seems strange to have 5-10 mins of Gelling when we have a guy already on the bench who can also cover centre (Mannering) - but we're winning and playing well so there's only so much one can be concerned about it... :)

Meth

Staff member
I was thinking the other way around last week - what was the point of Gelling with Mannering on the bench? I'd rather have an extra big body (was thinking more Satae than Sao, but Sao has done well so no objections there), given the only big guy on the bench was Lisone. Seems strange to have 5-10 mins of Gelling when we have a guy already on the bench who can also cover centre (Mannering) - but we're winning and playing well so there's only so much one can be concerned about it... :)

Well, Gelling is a waste unless we plan on or are forced to substitute an outside back. Sao is almost a waste when you have a couple of back rowers playing big minutes and another one covering hooker.

So, who wear's jersey 17?

Burns

First Grade
A good issue to have I imagine, but one that will need a definitive answer too eventually. Does Gelling simply need more game time? Playing the last 10min of a game does seem a bit of a waste.

jaseg

Juniors
I'd go Satae because he's the guy who I think is most likely to have the most impact in a short time frame (guy had a great stint in the Roosters game), and with Tevaga & Mannering there we have the minutes and other positions covered if injuries happen.

But yeah... as Burns said, it's a pretty good issue to have for right now.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Geilling can't be on the bench for me, after 2 weeks of not much game time, the guy would need a run in the reserves

Meth

Staff member
I'd go Satae because he's the guy who I think is most likely to have the most impact in a short time frame (guy had a great stint in the Roosters game), and with Tevaga & Mannering there we have the minutes and other positions covered if injuries happen.

But yeah... as Burns said, it's a pretty good issue to have for right now.

Yeah, there's room for a Tof Sipley like character for 10-15 mins. Who fits that mould? Satae?

Meth

Staff member
Then again, I think we're all paranoid about disruptive the balance

vvvrulz

Coach
Gavet, Beale and Papali'i to return at some point, several high performing players are going to miss out.

Meth

Staff member
Gavet, Beale and Papali'i to return at some point, several high performing players are going to miss out.

I'm not sure any of those players walk right in tbh...maybe Gavet ahead of Gelling/Sao.

vvvrulz

Coach
Agreed.

I still think CNK has been pretty unlucky but Maumalo has won back incumbency and then some, along with pretty much everyone who wasn't performing last year. Nobody slots back in automatically.

How many years has it been since we weren't spewing about injuries or dodgy selections?

sup42

Juniors
Sao will probably be back when has recovered fully from his head knock, although that type of injury won't be rushed, the Warriors are under no pressure, and a fortnight out is probably more realistic.
How good was it seeing Mannering come back in good shape and get carefully managed from the bench.

We are deliberately going for maximum mobility off the bench, I imagine that Kearneys preferred line up features Papalii for that reason, and probably Lawtons inclusion would see an end to Centers on the bench (three very mobile forwards if you include Lisone, Gavet takes last spot).

Rich102

Staff member
Trouble is, the way they are playing, we are going to lose a lot to the Kiwis.

Big Marn

Juniors
Papali'i went enormous in the first game against Souths. But was he cover for Mannering? In that case where does he fit in? We seem to be creating great forward depth.
Regarding Gelling, maybe Kearney counted up the minutes of all his gun players and found he had enough left over to have insurance for a back getting injured or reinjuring themselves. RTS was noticeably quiet so not sure if he is still a bit ginger from that arm jolt he took tackling Latrell Mitchell in the Roosters game.

Penrose_11

Juniors
I'm not sure any of those players walk right in tbh...maybe Gavet ahead of Gelling/Sao.
Gavet comes straight back in when fit. He’s got that aggression and power every team needs. Other than Bunty and to lesser extent Lisone, no others really have both. I see Gavet and Bunty sharing 50/50 game time and performing similar role

Latest posts