What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Dragons

I took the short drop out as a sign of confidence we can defend our line from 10m out and gives us a chance of getting the ball and grinding it out from our 10m if we get the ball.

Long drop outs near 100% go to opposition (except if they knock on) and start around the 30m.

Short drop out become 50/50 and start at 10m, less continual back peddling can set a defensive line and I'm sure someone in the stats department can say if we let more tries in starting from 10m vs outside it.

Taking the 2 points from a penalty when the team is on the rack seems more negative to me. Unless again time remaining makes team score twice in short period of time can break spirits rather than strengthen as you are saying you cant break their defense for a try in 6 tackles.

Last edited:

TheDMC

Bench
I took the short drop out as a sign of confidence we can defend our line from 10m out and gives us a chance of getting the ball and grinding it out from our 10m if we get the ball.

Long drop outs near 100% go to opposition (except if they knock on) and start around the 30m.

Short drop out become 50/50 and start at 10m, less continual back peddling can set a defensive line and I'm sure someone in the stats department can say if we let more tries in starting from 10m vs outside it.

Taking the 2 points from a penalty when the team is on the rack seems more negative to me. Unless again time remaining makes team score twice in short period of time can break spirits rather than strengthen as you are saying you cant break their defense for a try in 6 tackles.

Short drop outs are a great move, I was wondering for years why they weren't used more in League....just got to practice and get better at them ala union. And not kick it so close to the sideline (as risk of it going out as SJ has done twice recently...)

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

You think it's 50/50? I'm not as adverse to it as sup clearly is, just wondering how many would be regathered. I think it's a hard enough skill to land a drop kick in the right zone (kick-offs being different off a tee) but if we feel like we're good enough to defend our line, so be it. I spose they figure if we take a long drop off they're starting at the 30m or so and are at the 10 two plays in anyway, as you say.

And yeah, I absolutely abhor taking the two. The Titans doing it twice on the weekend, once when Gordon shanked the kick, just felt kinda pathetic. We were on the rack (not big tired forwards like Hodges said, but we were in all sorts structurally) and it just felt extra lame for a side not in the 8 and not to be in the 8 to just try and collate points in a game that was never going to be 12-10. Take a penalty late in the game or in the wet, sure. But leave the early penalty to Wayne Bennet coached sides, it's a pitiful tactic.

JJ

Immortal
You think it's 50/50? I'm not as adverse to it as sup clearly is, just wondering how many would be regathered. I think it's a hard enough skill to land a drop kick in the right zone (kick-offs being different off a tee) but if we feel like we're good enough to defend our line, so be it. I spose they figure if we take a long drop off they're starting at the 30m or so and are at the 10 two plays in anyway, as you say.

And yeah, I absolutely abhor taking the two. The Titans doing it twice on the weekend, once when Gordon shanked the kick, just felt kinda pathetic. We were on the rack (not big tired forwards like Hodges said, but we were in all sorts structurally) and it just felt extra lame for a side not in the 8 and not to be in the 8 to just try and collate points in a game that was never going to be 12-10. Take a penalty late in the game or in the wet, sure. But leave the early penalty to Wayne Bennet coached sides, it's a pitiful tactic.
Is that the "against the spirit of the game" argument?

I'd expect (although doubt it) that the analytics people should have looked at the numbers, and have an idea of how these things pay off in the long run? 2 points are 2 points...

That said, there are times when the context seems to suggest taking another set

Big Marn

Juniors
i would give the dropkicks a 30/70 chance of getting it back, and basically it revolves around a good kickoff and David Fusitua who we know has great aerial skills. I think that we caught a couple of teams on the hop and we had success, but now they are aware we will try it, so they will have people there to disrupt the Fus.
I did notice a couple of other teams try it more often on the weekend,so there is a trend.
I guess another reason for the short kickoffs are a) you get to decide what part of the field the play will start if the other team gets the ball, and b) the first play isnt going to be someone charging with a full head of steam.

JJ

Immortal
The Walker brothers started it a while back, didn't they?

To me it's something we should have practiced heaps behind closed doors, and saved for the finals (yes, I am still pretty certain we'll be in the finals)

Meth

Staff member
I'll never forget Tallis ripping us a new one when he was playing for the Dragons. Haunts me to this day

Big Marn

Juniors
I'll never forget Tallis ripping us a new one when he was playing for the Dragons. Haunts me to this day
ill never forget that game where St George were ravaged by injuries and origin committments and had 11 non regulars in the side, quite a few debutants. We were hot favourites to win and they put 50 on us. Think it was either late 90s or early 00s.
edit.
This game...
http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/s.../st-george-illawarra-vs-auckland/summary.html

Gasnier was playing only his 7th game and Amos Roberts debuted.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Yeah, it's a horror show all right, but so too was the Titan's fans recollection of games against the Warriors...

JJ

Immortal
ill never forget that game where St George were ravaged by injuries and origin committments and had 11 non regulars in the side, quite a few debutants. We were hot favourites to win and they put 50 on us. Think it was either late 90s or early 00s.
edit.
This game...
http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/s.../st-george-illawarra-vs-auckland/summary.html

Gasnier was playing only his 7th game and Amos Roberts debuted.
Mark Graham's certainly not in the Hall of Fame for his coaching lol

Meth

Staff member

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Is that the "against the spirit of the game" argument?

I'd expect (although doubt it) that the analytics people should have looked at the numbers, and have an idea of how these things pay off in the long run? 2 points are 2 points...

That said, there are times when the context seems to suggest taking another set

Which part (against the spirit)?

You're probably right on the analytics, but those boffins can't measure so many things that have context in a football game. Taking the two sucks on instinct unless you're a personality of the likes of Bennett, Stuart etc - ie you are a control freak.

Blair

Coach
Sydney's Warrior Nation supporters club are putting on a bus trip down to the 'Gong and back this Saturday, but I simply don't trust the bastards enough to get on board.

The Warriors that is, Warrior Nation are fine. The bus trip will be a hoot.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Sydney's Warrior Nation supporters club are putting on a bus trip down to the 'Gong and back this Saturday, but I simply don't trust the bastards enough to get on board.

The Warriors that is, Warrior Nation are fine. The bus trip will be a hoot.

Wish I could come but I’ll have to work all weekend before I fly over to NZ on Tuesday. I’ll drive up for the Knights game if the team doesn’t shit the bed again and family commitments allow.

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Now would be a great time to break out Dragons Hoodoo...
They've lost 3 of their last 5, with wins against the Cowboys (by 14), and Eels (by 2) being their two wins.
They're looking tired.
Hopefully a good wake up call and a strong week of training will have the boys up for this.