What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Raiders

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
We need a minimum amount of 13 wins to make the 8. With some big names in the current injury list to the Raiders, we have the chance to make it 3 wins on the trot this week. Theres still a lot of games to be won and with them looking very vulnerable this week, there couldn't be a more opportune time to beat them in Raiders land.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Yeah Sorry I might have had a Richard Fale moment there....

Blowing teams off the park might have been the wrong choice of words, but you are bang on with the high intensity part. It's been years since they have played with the intensity/confidence/focus that they've shown in the first 2 rounds. Regardless of what else happens this year, if they continue to show the commitment that they have, I'll be happy.

In what way? I can't imagine that most NRL coaches try and micro-manage their strength and conditioning coach does as it is a very specific expertise.

Daniel ANderson did it in 04. Wanted his players to be the biggest and strongest in the NRL. It didnt work as they were not fit, and he was sacked mid season

TheDMC

Bench
Daniel ANderson did it in 04. Wanted his players to be the biggest and strongest in the NRL. It didnt work as they were not fit, and he was sacked mid season

Well he was a silly chap then. That's exactly why coaches shouldn't meddle in the strength and conditioning role. I mean obviously there has to be some generally agreed upon aim.
It is not hard to imagine why a dude like Corvo is 10x better than an ex-player like Wiki in that role. Kind of like a life long sports commentator versus the just retired player commentator (Vossy v Lockyer).

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Was Wiki ever actually our S&C guy? I thought he just ran the water and did general training stuff but was never the S&C coach.

sup42

Juniors
Excited to see Paasi get his second ever game in our colours.

It will be interesting to see if he puts the offload away (that is what undid him on debut against the Brocos...typical noob error...comes on...offloads to no one in our own half...Brisbane score a Try///we lose).

There was mention of a Virus sweeping through the club last week (Fox build up to the Titans coverage) which makes the defensive efforts against them even more remarkable.

I wondered watching Paasi run two hundred meters against a capable Bears Side....then struggling to put in against the Bulldogs whether he was one of the recovering players...that would certainly explain the anomaly.

He has done Corvo's full training. When he arrived here Kearney admitted he knew little of Agnatius (showed in interviews pre-season, Kearney would mention everyone else bar Paasi).

Kearney ended up being very impressed by his work ethic and gave him a Start in our A side against the Gold Coast in the pre-season Warm up.

He is fit when well.

Well he was a silly chap then. That's exactly why coaches shouldn't meddle in the strength and conditioning role. I mean obviously there has to be some generally agreed upon aim.
It is not hard to imagine why a dude like Corvo is 10x better than an ex-player like Wiki in that role. Kind of like a life long sports commentator versus the just retired player commentator (Vossy v Lockyer).

Agreed 100%

My thing is the coaches know what style they want to play and SHOULD get the conditioning staff to get the players in the appropriate shape for that style

While i love Wiki a part of me says hes part of the "jobs for the boys club"

Blair

Coach
Raiders by 40 :p

I know you're having a laugh with Zero but, in all seriousness, we're not winning every game this year. I can't see the Raiders, despite current injuries, going 0-3 to start the year.

They're a really good side, with an aggro coach, and our collective breathing circle (which includes all of us really) better be ready for our first loss, if it happens on Saturday.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
You can never count out the Raiders but it'll be interesting to see how their injury fill ins go against our more experienced side.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I know you're having a laugh with Zero but, in all seriousness, we're not winning every game this year. I can't see the Raiders, despite current injuries, going 0-3 to start the year.

They're a really good side, with an aggro coach, and our collective breathing circle (which includes all of us really) better be ready for our first loss, if it happens on Saturday.

We’ll lose eventually and they’ll win eventually but it doesn’t have to be this week.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

I hear what you're saying, but the Raiders are not a great side. Their spine is one of the worst in the comp, jeepers Sam Williams struggles. Tapine and Leilua are named but they're coming off injuries/not match fit. They're either dumb or unfit, or both, because they collapsed in both their losses.

We're a better side than them currently. We should expect to win, and if we don't we've done something wrong. The weeks after that v Storm, Roosters, Broncos etc, yeah those are ones we can expect moreso to lose.

Meth

Staff member
Will be en route to London, so will miss this one. Didn’t think too much when I booked the flight- amazing what a couple of wins in the early rounds can do

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I hear what you're saying, but the Raiders are not a great side. Their spine is one of the worst in the comp, jeepers Sam Williams struggles. Tapine and Leilua are named but they're coming off injuries/not match fit. They're either dumb or unfit, or both, because they collapsed in both their losses.

We're a better side than them currently. We should expect to win, and if we don't we've done something wrong. The weeks after that v Storm, Roosters, Broncos etc, yeah those are ones we can expect moreso to lose.

Exactly. If we’re contenders we’ll win this. If gay happens and we drop one or two of those following games I won’t be too upset. I think we can take the chooks in Sydney too and we should get good support if we’re 3-0 at that point. I’ll be going either way.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Warm and sunny forecast for Saturday but not excessively hot (27, and Canberra isn’t humid, plus it should be cooling off around kickoff). Ive traditionally been more inclined to back us in the cold/wet but I think the 2018 Warriors are a dry weather side given we’re relying more on playing an uptempo style that allows our spine to do their thing than a forward grind. Hopefully we can run their big boys ragged.

Iafeta

Referee
Will be en route to London, so will miss this one. Didn’t think too much when I booked the flight- amazing what a couple of wins in the early rounds can do

Highly recommend trips to Hampton Court Palace and the Mile High Club.

Enjoy.

Latest posts