What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Roosters

Meth

Staff member
1- Tuivasa-Sheck
2- Fusitu'a
3- Hiku
4- Kata
5- Maumalo
6- Green
7- Johnson/Lino
8- Afoa
9- Luke/Lawton
10- Paasi
11- Papali'i
12- Harris
13- Blair

Res- Mannering, Gavet, Vete, Lawton/Tevaga/Cook

Lisone hasn't been playing good or bad- I just feel like Vete is a better option right now. I'd also like to see Sao back. Gavet better get a move on because there are options.

1 RTS
2 Maulamo
3 Hiku
4 Kata - still hate him
5 Air Fus 1
6 Kakariki
7 Johnson
8 Afoa
9 Luke
10 Paasi
11 Papalii
12 Harris
13 Blair

14 Lawton
15 Lisone
16 Mannering
17 Gavet

Meth

Staff member
Vete has better go forward and grunt but Lisone offers a great out the back pass when he is close to the line and he runs great angles. For that id take him over Vete

Yeah, I get that. I guess for me, I went with Vete because Gavet isn't really firing just yet and we need the go forward off the bench to keep the tempo up

Scott

Bench
Yeah, I get that. I guess for me, I went with Vete because Gavet isn't really firing just yet and we need the go forward off the bench to keep the tempo up

I don't mind if it is Vete or Lisone. I'm liking the Mannering to the bench and then coming on as a middle. Another smart piece of coaching, especially considering Jazz not being there.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I don't mind if it is Vete or Lisone. I'm liking the Mannering to the bench and then coming on as a middle. Another smart piece of coaching, especially considering Jazz not being there.

Was interesting hearing Kearney explain that one at the last press conference, underlines the advantage of having 80 min back rowers that it gives him that option.

Meth

Staff member
I heard Kearney explain and I am happy enough to go along with it. Part of me thinks Mannering in particular should play 80 if fit though

sup42

Juniors
Blair and Luke are the two we will miss most if both were out. Looks like Blair will be back and Luke away for one game.

They talk about having a partnership between them as middle forwards and setting a goal of leading the defence for the season.

They also talk about the Broncos game and say that they (Luke and Blair) were to blame because they let themselves down and didn't bring it in the middle.

As soon as we lose one of those two our defence reverts to one on one Simon and Michael Luck type baby sitting scrambling paper over the cracks efforts (the Role Tohu is lumped with next to Hiku) whereas with Luke you see him pair with SJ on a high low two man operation that is welcoming big opposition forwards to run at them and get rocked on the try line.

Those little combinations are feeding into our strengths where once they were a weakness...I loved watching the Cows and their eighty or Ninety whatever percent completions wasting tackles trying to go through our middle.

Blair is just a maniac with a huge motor...his pressure on the kickers and rough house leg tackles are aggression rather than containment....so that is what is so very different to our past backrowers e,g, Thompson and the Hoff etc. Blair also is an excellent ball player so he is next level for us.,

The rest of the squad I don't have too much to offer really, Kearney has it pretty well sussed...I just hope Sao can do whatever it is he is meant to - to earn his way back...but again I trust Kearneys new standards and they must come first every time.

Last edited:

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Blairs go forward (or lack of) was a huge concern when I found out we signed him but his defence sure makes it up for that. Not so concerned about him at the mo, he's going good.

At some stage, I'd like to see the old kiwis loose forward trio of Blair and Harris at second row and Mannering at loosie. Im not a big fan of Mannering but Id pick him as my 80 minute loosie every week. I believe this will truly strengthen our defence.

Iafeta

Referee
Agree on Blair. I think he’s doing a lot of good 1%ers. The try for Fus was all class in the build up from Kakariki, Blair and Johnson. Blair’s role may be undervalued in that, because he had to time it right to get them over committed and he did.

sup42

Juniors
Only when we get lapped by 50 one week will we join the ranks of the minnows.
I wish they would hurry up and post a thread on the unofficial chook pen Forum mate...this is going to be one hell of a clash if the Warriors can field a near full strength side (doubtful).

Hopefully the Roosters can give it a red hot go, the Warriors need the intensity to stay up there for the season, this lazy reliance on the Origin mid year period has seen them running below what is needed in the late third of the season.

The Chooks have a pretty respectable record in NZ.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I wish they would hurry up and post a thread on the unofficial chook pen Forum mate...this is going to be one hell of a clash if the Warriors can field a near full strength side (doubtful).

Hopefully the Roosters can give it a red hot go, the Warriors need the intensity to stay up there for the season, this lazy reliance on the Origin mid year period has seen them running below what is needed in the late third of the season.

The Chooks have a pretty respectable record in NZ.
A trip to Auckland always seems to be our toughest road trip of the season.

You guys always seem to save your best performance of the season for us so even if SJ and Luke are out I'm expecting a bruising encounter.

Such a shame we'll be missing Radley. Our smallest forward is also our hardest hitting which tells you all you need to know about how the others are going.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
A trip to Auckland always seems to be our toughest road trip of the season.

You guys always seem to save your best performance of the season for us so even if SJ and Luke are out I'm expecting a bruising encounter.

Such a shame we'll be missing Radley. Our smallest forward is also our hardest hitting which tells you all you need to know about how the others are going.
Radley impressed me the last time we played and I mentioned him on our NZ board of the forum here. We wont be missing him as he can hurt us literally. You guys still got Napa and it'll be interesting to see if our hard runners like Bunty will still be running it straight when he's on.

Looking forward to Latrell playing well as Im a big fan of his.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Only when we get lapped by 50 one week will we join the ranks of the minnows.

That was a cunning ruse by our fearless leader- concede all our points in one game so we win all the others :p

Maybe the Chooks could give it a go, you guys might be up at the big boys end of the table with us instead of riding the short bus with manly and the eels ;)

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
Radley impressed me the last time we played and I mentioned him on our NZ board of the forum here. We wont be missing him as he can hurt us literally. You guys still got Napa and it'll be interesting to see if our hard runners like Bunty will still be running it straight when he's on.

Looking forward to Latrell playing well as Im a big fan of his.
Bunty is the sort of player I bet Rabs would love to commentate on. All the cliches would come out of the bag like we haven't seen since the days of Iafeta and Big Ali.

But seriously what did you feed that monster during the off season?

He's on fire from what I've seen and Napa better find his guts if he's gonna stop him.