What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Teams for the Trial match vs Manly

callmack1

Staff member
The South Sydney Rabbitohs are pleased to announce their NRL team for the Club’s first trial match of the 2017 season against the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles at Campbelltown Sports Stadium this Saturday 11 February, with the NRL fixture scheduled to kick off at 7:30pm.

Rabbitohs Head Coach Michael Maguire has named a mixture of experienced NRL players with young, up-and-coming players in his side to take on the Sea Eagles as they put their best foot forward in the lead to the start of the season proper. South Sydney Junior Jason Clark will have the honour of captaining the Rabbitohs on Saturday night.

In recognition of the encouraging growth of our South-Western Sydney based Members over recent years, the Rabbitohs will return to Campbelltown Sports Stadium for the first time since 1999 when Sean Garlick led the Rabbitohs to a 16-10 victory over the Western Suburbs Magpies.

To add to the excitement of the day, Campbelltown Sports Stadium will also play host to both an NYC clash between the Rabbitohs and Sea Eagles, a match between the North Sydney Bears and the Blacktown Workers RLFC, and a NSW Physical Disability Rugby League match between South Sydney and Manly prior to the main game.

The Rabbitohs have a great relationship and engagement with the South West Sydney area thanks in large part to the tireless work of Souths Cares in developing and implementing Rabbitohs Primary, New Careers for Aboriginal People and the Juvenile Justice Joint Support Program in the area.

The Rabbitohs have also actively involved themselves in the region through participation in the Festival of Fisher’s Ghost, appearances during Christmas Carols at Campbelltown Sports Stadium, and running football clinics at the Macquarie Fields Indoor Centre and St Gregory’s College.

Gates open at Campbelltown Sports Stadium at 3:10pm on Saturday with the NSW Cup game kicking off at 3:15pm, the NYC game at 5:15pm, the NSWPDRLA game at 7pm, with the NRL fixture scheduled to commence at 7:30pm.

Tickets for this game are available from Ticketek by visiting www.ticketek.com.au, by calling 132 849, or at the gate on Saturday.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs NRL team for Saturday night’s match against the Sea Eagles is:

1. Braidon Burns
  2. Mawene Hiroti
  3. Robert Jennings
  4. Siosifa Talakai
  5. Sitiveni Moceidreke
  6. Eli Levido
  7. Luke Kelly
  8. George Burgess
  9. Brad Deitz
  10. Anthony Cherrington
  11. Robbie Rochow
  12. Angus Crichton
  13. Jason Clark (c)
Interchange:

14. Tyrell Fuimaono
15. Cameron Murray
16. Tautalatasi Tasi
17. Abbas Miski
18. Adam Doueihi
19. Clayton Williams
20. Phoenix Hunt
21. Jamel Hunt
22. Cheyne Whitelaw

callmack1

Staff member
Interesting side. A lot of youth in the backline and experience in the forward pack. I'm excited to see how we go.

Cool that Clark gets to captain the side for the first time.

Good to see Mawene Hiroti in there, he's from Taranaki, NZ which is also where i'm from. In fact he is my mates sisters boyfriend!

I think it's a good side for a trial match, a lot of un proven players but thats what the trials are about.

Hopefully there is a live stream on the website or something so that I can watch.

southsport

First Grade
Smart move by Madge to get a look at the youngsters although I'm surprised to see George included.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Seems to be essentially the B team. I'd assume cook would play 9 if he wasn't at the allstars.
Seems like bench forwards contenders in chricton, rochow, george, clark, cherrington are our run on forwards. Interesting to see Burns at fullback. With gray injured it means there is definitely a back position available so if he can show versatility at fb it may give him an inside running.
The biggest omission i think is tyrrell. With essentially the starting pack rested it would have been a good chance to see how he goes. He was good at the 9s, so maybe he has done enough, just a bit odd he's not there. Also rochow at 2nd row not prop is probably an indicator where he'll be this year although he'll probably have a spell in the middle at same stage. Going by this i think we have an indication on what the probable plus possible 13s are

Probable
1. Inglis
2. Aj
3. Gray
4. Hunt
5. Goodwin
6. Walker
7. Reynolds
8. Tom
9. Farah
10. Musgrove
11. Sutton
12. Turner
13. S. Burgess

Possibles

1. Burns
2. Hiroti
3. Jennings
4. Talaki
5. Moceidreki
6. Levido
7. Kelly
8. George
9. Cook
10. Cherrington
11. Chricton
12. Rochow
13. Clark

Where Tyrrell fits in I'm not sure

callmack1

Staff member
Manly have named a strong side, close to full strength. Should beat us easily really. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing how some players go.

themacemaceman

Juniors
Based on previous pre-seasons this side is similar to what we have seen in the first trial as far as regular first graders goes.
I would expect the next trial to be closer to our run on side for round 1.

alien

Referee
I thought Madge would have wanted the main players to play in 2 trial games before Round 1.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Interesting side. A lot of youth in the backline and experience in the forward pack. I'm excited to see how we go.

Cool that Clark gets to captain the side for the first time.

Good to see Mawene Hiroti in there, he's from Taranaki, NZ which is also where i'm from. In fact he is my mates sisters boyfriend!

I think it's a good side for a trial match, a lot of un proven players but thats what the trials are about.

Hopefully there is a live stream on the website or something so that I can watch.
Yeah congrats to Clark.

Good young side overall.

I like our starting forward pack.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Seems to be essentially the B team. I'd assume cook would play 9 if he wasn't at the allstars.
Seems like bench forwards contenders in chricton, rochow, george, clark, cherrington are our run on forwards. Interesting to see Burns at fullback. With gray injured it means there is definitely a back position available so if he can show versatility at fb it may give him an inside running.
The biggest omission i think is tyrrell. With essentially the starting pack rested it would have been a good chance to see how he goes. He was good at the 9s, so maybe he has done enough, just a bit odd he's not there. Also rochow at 2nd row not prop is probably an indicator where he'll be this year although he'll probably have a spell in the middle at same stage. Going by this i think we have an indication on what the probable plus possible 13s are

Probable
1. Inglis
2. Aj
3. Gray
4. Hunt
5. Goodwin
6. Walker
7. Reynolds
8. Tom
9. Farah
10. Musgrove
11. Sutton
12. Turner
13. S. Burgess

Possibles

1. Burns
2. Hiroti
3. Jennings
4. Talaki
5. Moceidreki
6. Levido
7. Kelly
8. George
9. Cook
10. Cherrington
11. Chricton
12. Rochow
13. Clark

Where Tyrrell fits in I'm not sure
With Gray out Goodwin will shift to centre and Burns or Jennings will get a chance for the wing.

Imo Tyrrell is probably our 20th man. I could be wrong though.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Part of me would rather 28 NRL games or so and no trials. I know trials are there for a reason but couldn't they just hold opposed sessions or something?

I know I'd rather pay for a competitive game than see a half assed team get walloped in woop woop.