What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tedesco rumour

ALSGI

Bench
If Kurt Mann scored that exact try just imagine the reaction from this board. And i say that as someone who prefers Mann!
It was a good try, good effort tha plenty would't have scored. He has done plenty good so far this year, and some bad, and has put plenty of decent kicks in to and deserves to be in the squad. Well done by him. Still not my choice at 7, utility bench at best. he's certainly not our future and should he benched on that alone because we aren't that desperate for him to be our starting 7.

MilanDragon

Juniors
And when he was our best performing centre we rewarded him with reserve grade no wonder he doesn't put in would you ? I personally wouldn't

Yea it's called attitude and determination to make it to the top grade, go out and prove a point. Especially for a young guy.

I have no idea what his commitment is like, he could be training the house down, but being deflated isn't an excuse for not performing especially when you're starting out your career

possm

Coach
Yea it's called attitude and determination to make it to the top grade, go out and prove a point. Especially for a young guy.

I have no idea what his commitment is like, he could be training the house down, but being deflated isn't an excuse for not performing especially when you're starting out your career
There has to be something to justify Milne's fall from grace.
Did he do something that Mary didn't like?
Did he say something offensive to Mary?
Or more likely, is his name not on Millward's white board?

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Mary has been banned from having anything to do with recruitment; he's just not smart enough to handle multiple projects. Thus the reason he trots out the same squad with the same game plan each week. Also the reason why McCrone makes and Aitken make the same mistakes for the same reasons each week.

The era of Mary is over and we will only really realize how bad Mary is once a good coach takes over.

As much as I agree with you possm
It not all Aitken fault in defence.
Both him and McDonald are to blame.
Alway one rushes up and one stays back.
Just talk to each other and both rush up or stay back.
They have to have some trust in the player beside them in the defensive line.
Aitken is not the only problem McDonald is just as much to blame

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Why should Mary think about 2018 and blooding anyone when he won't even be the coach? If he was offered an extension then it's his job to worry about that.

He has to think of the best 17 for 2017 and who is going to get him what he thinks is the best result possible.

As for Milne, apparently he isn't performing well in reserves so why reward him with FG in a side that's 3/4.

Spot on he has been poor for illawarra last year he was dominate not this year so far.
Now dodd is out for the season so options are limited

possm

Coach
After replaying the 4 games this year, I have come to the conclusion that the compressed defensive pattern is the reason for Aitken to sprint out of the line in an effort to shut down play before the ball is spun wide where there is enormous vacant space.

A compressed defence delivers a lot of benefit however once the opposition coach devises a way to expose the unprotected flank, we going into a panic and usually only the bounce of the ball our way saves the try.

Again, Mary is a one trick pony with one idea and very little capability to adjust a plan on the run. The 'power game' will only be effective for as long as his top 6 forwards are all injury free and up for the game. In 2015 our brick wall was only effective while our top 17 were available, injury free and up for the game.

We will be very competitive while ever our forwards continue to be fit and ready to put in at such a high level.

SGMax

Juniors
Compressed defensive line works well but needs to be associated with aggressive line speed to stop the ball from getting shifted wide too easily.

We are yet to maintain our defensive linespeed for a whole game and when we slacken off or fatigue, it becomes a case of scrambling defense and luck to hold out the opposition.

If we are to maintain this type of defense we should seriously consider 4 forwards on the bench to help keep those on the field fresh and moving up.

Btw, back to Tedesco, I am still hopefull. Maybe the announcement has been put on hold to avoid awkwardness for all with the upcoming game on the weekend.
Hopefully if we announce Tedesco, Dugan will accept his fate as a centre and fall into line.
Would be very disappointed if the club didn't try and keep both for next year.

possm

Coach
I've got a feeling that if we signed Tedesco, there would not be enough cap space left to sign Dugan even if he accepted the current Dragons offer and even if Widdop moved on.

It is possible that the new salary cap will rise to 7m and with all of our forwards signed and Hunt on 1m, Tedesco/Dugan on 1m, I believe there will not be enough cap for both Tedesco and Dugan.

BrissyRedV

Bench
It is possible that the new salary cap will rise to 7m
NRL salary cap is already at 7mil. The talk is of it going up to 9.5 to 10 mil. That is why a lot of players are putting off signing and negotiating contracts especially the elite.

JDHD

Juniors

This is one of the smartest posts I've read on here in a long time. You've got to move up quickly when you're on your own line to cut down time and space. That's both players. You only hang back if you expect a kick and realistically, that's the fullback's job. More often than not, if you hang back and try to slide on your own line, you're not stopping anyone. They have momentum and you can't stop that if you're sliding. You'll just either slow them down while they score or you *MIGHT* bundle them into touch if you're close enough to the line. Darius Boyd scored a hat trick on Jarrod Croker last year because Croker was doing exactly that: sliding on his line instead of rushing up.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
JDHD
Exactly
You can here nighty always talking to Lafai but not so much mcd to Aikten and vica vera.
If I was Mary I would get them to work together over and over at training untill it becomes second nature.
Imo

possm

Coach
I think the wingers should move to their natural positions - swap sides. Aitken would benefit a lot from Nightingale's direction and Macdonald and Lafai should ensure good communication occurs.

It is worth mentioning that Macdonald and Milne have a history of playing beside each other and so I'm sure would have a good understanding of each others play.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I think the wingers should move to their natural positions - swap sides. Aitken would benefit a lot from Nightingale's direction and Macdonald and Lafai should ensure good communication occurs.

It is worth mentioning that Macdonald and Milne have a history of playing beside each other and so I'm sure would have a good understanding of each others play.

Mcdonald and Milne played roosters u20 and I think under 18 as well.
They are also good mates of the field.
But let me say this possm Milne is not playing anywhere near as well as last year and looks disheartened.
I hope he will get the beast back in him.
Expecially now they have lost Dodds for the season.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Mcdonald and Milne played roosters u20 and I think under 18 as well.
They are also good maye of the field.
But let me say this possm Milne is not playing anywhere near as well as last year and looks disheartened.
I hope he will get the beast back in him.
Expecially now they have lost Dodds for the season.
One of the assistant coaches or a senior official at the Club should sit down with him and try and clear the air. Really all he needs to do is play his heart out in reserve grade so that he forces his way into firsts.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
This is a simple one really, if the club can afford both Dugan and Tedesco, they should move heaven and earth to make it happen.
If not, then Tedesco should be the target, we can cover Dugan in the centres.
It's harsh but I feel like if I had to choose between Dugan and Tedesco it would be Teddy all day.

Capital

Juniors
Everybody please stop speculating about who the club can or can't afford due to salary cap increases. It doesn't work like that. It is calculated as a % of the salary cap. So if the salary cap goes up 10%, every players salary goes up by 10%. The only tricky part is TPAs but in relation or compared to professionally run clubs, TPAs isn't something SGI have to worry about.