What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Telegraph again trying to set up Tingha

Anonymous

Juniors
The Telegraph have published pictures, reportedly from the recent Manly match where they claim Nathan Blacklock was receiving instructions from the coaching staff via an ear piece.

Apparently, it's against the rules for a player to be wired up.

Blacklock and the St George club initially laughed off the suggestion but after seeing the pics in the Sunday press, they are now considering legal action against the Telegraph.

Here's the Telegraph picture:
blacklock_ear_piece.jpg

Here's a video capture from the same match taken by me:
blacklock_ear.jpg

I re-watched the entire match looking for evidence of the Telegraph's claims but couldn't find anything that remotely resembled the massive wart that appeared in the Sunday Telegraph.

We'll wait and see what happens but it looks like the Telegraph are full of crap... again.

midas

Juniors
If it,s not an electronic device,Blacklock would be wise to get it lanced as soon as possible.

Sticks

Juniors
Maybe it was an old pencil stub from his days as a builder. Look closely and you can see Staedtler 2B. ;-)

Trojan Horse

Juniors
Are you suggesting they've fabricated photographic evidence for the sake of a controversial story, Willow.

How unlike a Sydney media outlet to do so. ;--)

Seriously though, how is this -- if in fact it is proven to be so, as the still photo you provided has me doubtful to the Telegraph's authenticity -- any different to a team 'runner' invading the field to relay a coaches message, as we see various times throughout any given weekend game?

Telegaraph have sunk to levels that are irremediable.

Anonymous

Juniors
There's a bit of discussion going on about this at the NineMsn Dragons forum.

I actually went through the whole match again and couldnt find any evidence of an ear piece.

The picture I captured above is merely one of the clearer shots. I seen enough of Tingha's ear lobe to last me a lifetime now. LOL.

There is another possibility that the picture the Telegraph took was not during the match in question. Maybe during a warmup or something but given their track record, I'm not prepared to give the Telegraph the benefit of the doubt.

All the other pics I looked at showed a full shadow behind the ear and there was nothing sticking out below the lobe as the Telegraph picture would have us believe.

By looking closely at the Telegraph picture, you may notice the graphics person has tried to make the dark bit look like a clip. A little bit of speculation on my part but where has the other half of the shadow behind the ear lobe gone?
IMO, it's been brushed out.

Either that or Tingha better get himself to a doctor to have that nasty growth removed. :lol:

Green Eye

Juniors
If it was an earpiece he would be bloody crazy to waer one that big going into a tackle. :lol: Just another example of media fabrication....

Anonymous

Juniors
Trojan Horse said:
Seriously though, how is this -- if in fact it is proven to be so, as the still photo you provided has me doubtful to the Telegraph's authenticity -- any different to a team 'runner' invading the field to relay a coaches message, as we see various times throughout any given weekend game?

TH, I understand its against the rules and in that they're inferring that St Geoge and Blacklock are cheating.

Its not the first time that the Telegraph have been caught out making up stories - and it won't be the last.

Trojan Horse

Juniors
There is another possibility that the picture the Telegraph took was not during the match in question. Maybe during a warmup or something...

I've tried my best to read the text under the Telegraph image, and I'm certain this is what it says -- 'Nathan Blacklock pictured during last Saturday night's game against Manly (right and left) with what appears to be a lump of some sort behind his right ear and (above) pictured at training with no lump.

Trojan Horse

Juniors
El Duque said:
What are they trying to set up him for and when have they set him up in the past?

Funny you mention that ElDuque because I'm starting to ask myself the same two questions now.

I don't understand why The Daily Telegraph would knowingly place both feet into a defamation case if the photo has, infact, been digitally altered in any shape or form. It just does not make sense to me. Defies the principles of reasoning.

Anonymous

Juniors
Trojan Horse said:
El Duque said:
What are they trying to set up him for and when have they set him up in the past?

Funny you mention that ElDuque because I'm starting to ask myself the same two questions now.

I don't understand why The Daily Telegraph would knowingly place both feet into a defamation case if the photo has, infact, been digitally altered in any shape or form. It just does not make sense to me. Defies the principles of reasoning.

It depends on the content of the article. I've only seen the pictures. It may be that they have themselves covered in the print.

Good on you El Duque. Nothing like a small detail to bring you out of the woodwork. ;-)

Quite obvously the Telegraph are looking for a controversy... thats how they run their publication... it's a tabloid.

In the past, they have hounded Blacklock. They were looking for some sort of 'pouring out of emotions'.... they figured he would be like Mundine. But he never gave them them much so one day, they just took one line from him and based a whole story around some non-existent outburst. It was in mid-2001 and the story was about how Blacklock was joining Cronulla. Other publications ran a story with a competely different version of events.

As it turned out, the tabloid story was a set-up between his then manager and the Telegraph. It must have been known that it was crap but it didn't stop the story being published anyway.

The Telegraph often sensationalises articles. Its a little naive to think otherwise.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Willow said:
Trojan Horse said:
El Duque said:

It depends on the content of the article. I've only seen the pictures. It may be that they have themselves covered in the print.

Good on you El Duque. Nothing like a small detail to bring you out of the woodwork. ;-)

Small detail? It's the topics heading.

Anonymous

Juniors

I guess its worth noticing if you're into dissecting every issue into quarters. The main topic of discussion (I thought) was the difference between the pics.
But why did you ask the question if not to discuss the answer?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Willow said:

I guess its worth noticing if you're into dissecting every issue into quarters. The main topic of discussion (I thought) was the difference between the pics.

I can't comment on your answer as I have no memory of Blacklock being set up. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but I don't think they're after him as bad as you appear to be mking out seeing it seems no one recalls prior set up articles.

Anonymous

Juniors
El Duque said:
Willow said:

I can't comment on your answer as I have no memory of Blacklock being set up. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but I don't think they're after him as bad as you appear to be mking out seeing it seems no one recalls prior set up articles.

I have a very good memory of it. I also spoke to the club and got the stuff on it. Plus I still have the headline from the newslimited website. It took up the whole backpage.

Back in 2001, they got a comment from Blacklock that he was supportive of his Tingha cousin, Preston Campbell (who played for the Sharks then) and that he 'admired Cronulla's open style of play'. (LOL.. well Ando put a stop to that). Then they took pictures and selected one where Blacklock was looking glum.

All they have to do after that was to chuck in a few misquotes, extrapolate a few comments from his manager... and "hey presto! we got ourselves a live one ma!"

But thanks for the response. I agree that the paper doesnt neccessarily single Blacklock out. But the Telegraph have been guilty of trying to set up sports people in the past and Blacklock was one of them. I just tend to notice it.

Nevetheless El, the main idea of the thread is the comparitive pictures. I have to say its better to get a critical eye than everyone agreeing all the time. What do you think is going on in those pics?

Anonymous

Juniors
Blade said:
Is there any further news on this (alleged) incident?
As far I know, there's been no follow up whatsoever.

The Telegraph apparently sent a copy to the Sea Eagles and the NRL but nothing has happened and quite probably never will. My guess is that they were hoping that Manly or the NRL would investigate it and therefore drag the story into another week. There was a suggestion that competition points could been stripped but the ear-piece story had too much mullarky in it.