What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tennis

Valheru

Coach
You can't make this stuff up, we all know Nick's mental toughness on court has been questionable at times and he has to deal with the following in one match:

* Some imbecile trying to get his 15 minutes of fame
* General crowd noise during points
* A helicopter hovering directly over the stadium for 2 games. (Something both commentators said they have never seen anywhere in the world before)
* The PA system going down.

All in all he handled it very well.

Meanwhile Dasha goes off at the umpire (rightly so I might add) and nothing is made of it. If it was Nick there would be 4 articles on the incident.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Glad Dasha lost, it's the side of her that a lot of Australian's don't see. She is a brat, and I'm happy when she loses early. Martens is a far better player.

Rabbits20

Immortal
39C in Melbourne but on court it's about 50C....... you can see the steam coming off the court......

Monfils really struggling with the heat and said if he can't have longer than 25seconds in between points he will collapse he told the match ref.......

He keeps bending down and he's absolutely completely soaked through.....

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well done to Barty what a tough win....

Osaka next in the third and a probable fourth round match against Halep world number 1.

On another note I'm sick of how many American tennis players there are who have played in the first and second rounds........

Clifferd

Coach
Warinka getting slaughtered but not surprising considering what he’s had to go through...

He was my last in a 8 leg winning multi too. Damn

Valheru

Coach
The heat yesterday was ridiculous and the roof should have been closed on the courts that have one and play stopped on the other courts during the peak of the heat.

We of course have the usual heroes on facebook who think they should play in dangerous conditions because they get paid a lot and Aussie labourers work on hot days too...

LatK7

First Grade
Poor Stan is still very underdone. Hopefully he can get back on track before the clay season.

Last night's Struff/Federer match was quality. Struff would've troubled anyone out there.

Clifferd

Coach
Kyrgios won in a very even contest. Difference in play was he handled the pressure moments better (which is unusual for him)

Actually pretty confident he can make semis from here, plays dimitrov next who he’s already beaten then will play an unseeded opponent if he wins that

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Yeah it was a good match. Hard to believe the Tsonga can play that well and lose. Nick kept his head and had a good win.

Wizardman

First Grade
I admit that I've been a massive critic of Kyrgios. He seems to be a different person at the moment. There is something about him at the moment. There is still some things to fix....but he could well be on his way to something special here

Clifferd

Coach
I admit that I've been a massive critic of Kyrgios. He seems to be a different person at the moment. There is something about him at the moment. There is still some things to fix....but he could well be on his way to something special here

He would’ve lost that match last year 100%. He’s definitely got a different approach this time round

Valheru

Coach
The serving from both men last night was immemse. Kyrgios in particular was world class and no player in the world (federer and nadal included) would have prevented a tie breaker from occurring in sets 1, 3 and 4.

The reason Kyrgios serving was slightly superior to Tsonga IMO because it was much more varied and unpredictable but to be fair to Tsonga, he didn't need to change it up because Nick for some reason didn't lean towards the centre after set 2.

Massive match against dimitrov next, the winner will play an unseeded player in the quarter final.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Watched it today and geez what a match from Kyrgios last night....

Best I've seen of him temperament wise.....

If he has that high serve percentage in the mid 70's he can beat Dimitrov....

I think he can get it done tomorrow night Nick but in 5 sets....

Also what an effort from Groth and Hewitt...... brilliant beating the number 3 seed'

Great watching them play and they make a good combo...

Into the third round now....

some11

Referee
Good game, Nick losing his shit over the lack of celebration after he won certain points is pretty funny - you have to go a bit further in the tournament to earn that.

Dimitrov just a bit better tonight.

Clifferd

Coach
Nick didn’t play bad, just dimitrov was better in clutch moments. Sorta the same scenario with nick when he beat Tsonga

Really thought Nick could’ve pushed this tournament, but ah well hopefully he is on the rise for better things