What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tennis

Bazal

Post Whore
The world needs to appreciate Novak Djokovic more.

He is a phenomenon.

An amazing win!

He's a freak. Absolutely love the bloke, stoked to see him getting his fitness and form back.

Rafa was brilliant too, they both played some unbelievable tennis...but Novak had the momentum, had the match suspended, then came out without the momentum and had to fight back from a lost set. Brilliant win in a brilliant match.

I don't get the hate tbh. Last night, match suspended, Rafa charges off into the sheds within 35 seconds. Djoko hangs around for ten minutes signing autographs...

Tommy Smith

Referee
Yep he always comes across as a good bloke to me.

He's a gentleman with personality who never puts a foot wrong off the court.

So the lack of warmth he often receives from crowds mystifies me.

Danish

Referee
Yep he always comes across as a good bloke to me.

He's a gentleman with personality who never puts a foot wrong off the court.

So the lack of warmth he often receives from crowds mystifies me.

Eh, he's played the "no one respects me" card quite often off the court - or certainly has done so using his team as a proxy.

He's also clashed with crowds regularly at the US Open and Wimbledon. Crowds have long memories for that shit.

Terrific player though, and tennis is littered with egotistical god complexes. At least Novak has the skill to back up the attitude

Danish

Referee
The GOAT imo. I know most and you for sure will say Fed but Joker came along when all 3 were in their primes and came out on top

Came out on top?

Feds has won 20 slams to Novak's 12 over the course of Novak's career.

And how exactly do you propose they were both in their prime? Feds is 5 years older than Novak, and was already 26 by the time Djoker won his first slam. It wasn't until Federer was 29 years old that Djokovic won his second and started to dominate for a few years.

Djokovic is unblievably good. Arguably on par with Nadal. But Feds is the greatest tennis player in history, and probably in the argument for greatest sportsman

Tommy Smith

Referee
Eh, he's played the "no one respects me" card quite often off the court - or certainly has done so using his team as a proxy.

He's also clashed with crowds regularly at the US Open and Wimbledon. Crowds have long memories for that shit.

Terrific player though, and tennis is littered with egotistical god complexes. At least Novak has the skill to back up the attitude
US Open Crowds are a bunch of rabid dogs.

A bunch of foul mouthed assholes that have had a crack at most players so no surprises there.

Came out on top?

Feds has won 20 slams to Novak's 12 over the course of Novak's career.

And how exactly do you propose they were both in their prime? Feds is 5 years older than Novak, and was already 26 by the time Djoker won his first slam. It wasn't until Federer was 29 years old that Djokovic won his second and started to dominate for a few years.

Djokovic is unblievably good. Arguably on par with Nadal. But Feds is the greatest tennis player in history, and probably in the argument for greatest sportsman
Yes its 20 to 12 so far but Feds run started in a pretty weak era, who were his main threats Hewitt? Safin? Roddick?
Jokers 12 have come against much better opposition.

I can see an argument for Fed being the best in tennis but the best in any sport? Not even close to Bradman, Phelps, Bolt or Slater

Tommy Smith

Referee
Not only is he close; but he's better than all of them - especially the surfer lol

Bradman was a freak but in a very niche sport. Heather McKay has the same claim as Bradman.

As for Phelps and Bolt - both geniuses - but they've spent their careers preparing for an event every four years.

Contrast that to Federer who has grinded away every week in perhaps the world's most gruelling and demanding elite level sport for 20 years.

And he's been at the top for 15 years; much longer than Phelps or Bolt were in less demanding sports.

Danish

Referee
Yes its 20 to 12 so far but Feds run started in a pretty weak era, who were his main threats Hewitt? Safin? Roddick?
Jokers 12 have come against much better opposition.

I can see an argument for Fed being the best in tennis but the best in any sport? Not even close to Bradman, Phelps, Bolt or Slater

He won all 20 while Novak and Nadal were on the tour, so I don’t buy this weak competition nonsense. novak’s years of dominance only began once Federer got old.

Bolt is my pick as greatest ever athlete, although Federer is clearly more skilful than bolt. Running fast is 99% genetics - that 1 % is vital as well, of course, but no amount of determination or skill makes up for god given ability on the track.

As for Bradman, if you want to talk about someone benefiting from lack of opponents, he’d be first on that list.

Danish

Referee
Meanwhile the men's semis lasted almost 7hrs and 6hrs respectively; while the women's final lasted just over 1hr.

And yet equal payyyyy. Seems legit.

How about all the sooking in the media about the women’s final being delayed?

I’m sure all those people who bought tickets to the women’s final were devastated that they had to sit through one of the greatest matches Wimbledon has ever seen between 2 of the best players to ever grace a court....

If you really want a laugh, go check out the US media reaction to Serena losing. Absolutely zero credit being given to Kerber. Just all about how Serena was off her game, and this bullshit spin about her “almost dying” from her caesarean

Tommy Smith

Referee
How about all the sooking in the media about the women’s final being delayed?

I’m sure all those people who bought tickets to the women’s final were devastated that they had to sit through one of the greatest matches Wimbledon has ever seen between 2 of the best players to ever grace a court....

If you really want a laugh, go check out the US media reaction to Serena losing. Absolutely zero credit being given to Kerber. Just all about how Serena was off her game, and this bullshit spin about her “almost dying” from her caesarean
Yep.

Every single spectator, at Centre Court and viewing on tv, must have been devastated that they got more than one hour's "entertainment".

That additional 2hr and 30min of some of the best tennis ever witnessed at Wimbledon was a real chore.

I wonder how many like myself went to bed statight after the men's semi finished.

There was no way I was going to sully that electrifying sporting experience by following it up with that tragic final.

Women's tennis is on the nose atm. They ride the coattails of the men's game and still cry poor.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Anyone would think Serena Williams won the Women's final the way the media carry on.

All the boo hoo about her childbirth is sickening.

Didn't someone named Angelique Kerber win? Oh that right.....she's not American so it doesn't matter.

Wizardman

First Grade
f**k, I hope Kevin Anderson saves tennis tonight. With the hours he has spent on court, it would be well deserved.

lockyno1

Post Whore
The real final was the semi let’s be realistic. Both Nadal and Novak would have beaten Anderson

Danish

Referee
The real final was the semi let’s be realistic. Both Nadal and Novak would have beaten Anderson

Absolutely. The Isner Anderson semi was always just decided who was going to be runner up.

Anderson beating feds from 2 sets down must be one of the most baffling results in sporting history.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Absolutely. The Isner Anderson semi was always just decided who was going to be runner up.

Anderson beating feds from 2 sets down must be one of the most baffling results in sporting history.
The Fed-Kandy match was infuriating to watch. I was gutted.

It was a combination of Fed's forehand going completely missing and Anderson playing the best 4 sets of his life.

In the first set Federer was absolutely on fire and playing at a level that would likely have won the tournament. Then he turned to gash.

I suppose that's the sort of consistency you'd expect from any normal 36yr old.

Still it was infuriating to watch.

Apey

Staff member
Not sure if it's as infuriating as watching Nadal fail at the final hurdle again and again...

All I want to see is him win the Australian Open again. I've seen him lose the final 3 times.