What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test Captain calls for WC

In-goal

Bench
from Daily Tele.

TEST captain Darren Lockyer has called for rugby league to revive its own World Cup, as the ARL admits the concept is being looked at to celebrate the centenary of the code in Australia.

After six days of lopsided contests in the Rugby World Cup, the star Brisbane, Queensland and Australian fullback believes league will never truly spread its wings internationally without a global showpiece tournament.

The league World Cup was abandoned after the 2000 tournament in the United Kingdom saw embarrassing scorelines, small crowds and no profit.

"The last World Cup we played they said it was a two-horse race between Australia and New Zealand," said Lockyer, ahead of Saturday night's Test against the Kiwis in Auckland.

"But you've got to start somewhere. If anyone's going to catch the Aussies it's got to happen through something like that. You've got to build the game around the world.

"It has been marketed very well, the rugby World Cup, and we've never really put a lot of effort into that with ours. It's definitely worth having (a World Cup)."

With scores of 84-6, 72-6, 70-7 and 67-14 in early pool games at the RWC, the league community is quietly asking what is the difference to the pool games at its tournament three years ago that saw rugby league considered the laughing stock of international sport.

For the next two years league will play a Tri-Nations tournament in the UK between Australia, New Zealand and Great Britain as a means of consolidating international football after the disastrous 2000 tournament.

However, the idea of keeping France and developing national teams Papua New Guinea and the Pacific Islands out of the competition does not bode well for the expansion of the game.

Significantly, Kiwis coach Daniel Anderson yesterday criticised the Tri-Nations format and said that Test football was running third in priority behind the NRL and State of Origin competitions.

A revival of the World Cup is an option being canvassed by the ARL after preliminary discussions on how to mark the centenary of rugby league in Australia in 2008.

"We would like to see a major celebration for the game in this country," said ARL chief executive Geoff Carr.

"Lots of ideas have been tossed around, but we haven't decided what it will be as yet.

"We're locked into the Tri-Nations until 2006, which means we have a clean slate for 2008. We're serious about doing something to celebrate by having something we haven't seen here before."

NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley will meet NZRL officials tomorrow night to discuss a Wellington bid for admission into the Telstra Premiership.

dimitri

First Grade
its only common sense if you ask me

world cup = good for game

no world cup = bad for game

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I see Lockyers got a point, Australia might win the next world cup, but in order for countries to match the aussies, youve gotta have a WC to improve those countries.

I still dont understand why the Tri-nations are played in the UK for the next 3 years. TRI NATIONS means three nations, should be played in Australia, NZL and GB.

bayrep

Juniors
I agree that there should be a world cup but there has to be more done to help the developing nations, having Tri series between the top 3 is fine but it does not help the developing nations at all. Or we will get the same results as thw last LWC and the UWC are seeing now. Build up the minows between the world cups can only be good for league and the cup.

In-goal

Bench
Well the way forward international is to Develop pro clubs and competitions, France will have U.T.C. in the RSL from 2005 so naturally players will be able to soley focus on RL there fore increasing standards. Russia have also expressed interest in one day having a club based in the Super League and even the possibilitie of hosting the World Cup.

dimitri

First Grade
definitely - thwe progression of pro comps and semi pro comps throughout the world will help tremedously

but all we really need is some common sense and a bit of thinking from our RL officials

playing A world cup in GB smack bang in the middle of winter in almost freezing conditions is ludicrous

wheras

playing a world cup in AUS (with perhaps nz and png as co hosts)

makes much more sense

better weather

and a much more multiculural audience in this part of the world

lebanon - belmore
Greece - Kogarah, Eastern SUburbs, melbourne
Italy - leichardt, melbourne
South Africa - perth
England - most cities

etc etc

it just makes sense to have the next world cup in australia

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Dimitri's ideas are always good when it comes to International Football.

Since you're an expert Dimitri, whats your opinion on the Tri-Series playing in GB for the next three years? Good or bad.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm usually not a fan of Lockyer, but I've got to say he's hit the nail on the head- and good on him for venturing out on a limb. After so many players woosed out of the last Kangaroo Tour- it's good to see a player actually saying he'd like to play more football.

The league World Cup seems to be gaining momentum, however small, and let's hope they get it right. He's 100% right about promotion though. League had none. Union's had a virtual propaganda engine behind it. Even a happy medium would be an improvement.

Chris

ali

Bench
Lets help it gain momentum. Write to and text the Tele. The text no. is 0427767778

dimitri

First Grade
Dimitri's ideas are always good when it comes to International Football.

Since you're an expert Dimitri, whats your opinion on the Tri-Series playing in GB for the next three years? Good or bad.

i dont like it

not every year in the same place

Perhaps every second year with a change in venue
i understand that there were tv rights complications but i cant see it being successful 3 years ina row

unless GB have a win

however WE NEED A WORLD CUP IN 2007

thats forsure

and we need a rlif website to help promote it

Stevo_G

Juniors
why can't they play a tri series one year in new zealand

arl says they have a clean slate for 2008 and the tri series finishes in britian in 2006 what is happening that year internationally, hopefully not a tour to the nth of england again

Misanthrope

Staff member
I reckon England, New Zealand, and then back to England. Australia doesn't need a home ground advantage, and given the fact the ARL/NRL does sweet FA for international football- I don't think rewarding them before they put any effort in is a good idea.

Chris

Latest posts