What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tevita Pangai Junior off contract.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Pangai is off contract at the end of this year. There is an article on Foxsports right now saying that Newcastle have identified Pangai as a possible recruitment target for 2019. There were massive wraps on Pangai when Brisbane signed him from Canberra. He now looks to be starting to fulfill those wraps and was even spoken of as a possible origin player for this year, until he stated his allegiance to Tonga. If he was available for NSW this year, I would have had him in the mix for a bench spot.

If I was our recruitment officer. I would make Pangai one of my number 1 targets. I think he is going to establish himself as a top prop in the game and he will improve. I always say that we need 4 good props. He could probably push Graham to the bench if we signed him. Imagine having Vaughn and Pangai as our starting props, with AhMau and Graham coming off the bench? I would even consider letting AhMau go, if we could sign Pangai. That is no knock on AhMau, but Pangai is only 22 years old and improving.

I won't be surprised if Easts and many other clubs enter the market for Pangai too.

Over to you Millward. Make it happen.

Frank Facer

First Grade
When are the Storm wingers off contract?
Vunivalu is off contract at the end of 2020, while Addo Carr is off contract at the end of 2021. We have to look else where or promote our own. I am not a fan of spending big money on wingers.

Old Timer

Coach
Always love a thread where we are chasing 22 year olds when we have our own which we have failed to nurture.
We identified Kerr a few years back and we have really helped his development.
FMD wake up people bringing these people to our club is a waste of time and energy whilst ever we have Mc Fookknuckle & Co driving the bus.
If Pangai wants a career that will prosper best he go to the Tigpies or Penrith.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Always love a thread where we are chasing 22 year olds when we have our own which we have failed to nurture.
We identified Kerr a few years back and we have really helped his development.
FMD wake up people bringing these people to our club is a waste of time and energy whilst ever we have Mc Fookknuckle & Co driving the bus.
If Pangai wants a career that will prosper best he go to the Tigpies or Penrith.
We are a club on the up. We could even be genuine premiership contenders next year. The addition of Pangai, would give us the best pack of forwards in the comp and depth in the front row. He would also suit our power game. I don't see Wests or Penrith as genuine premiership contenders next year. Penrith may not be able to hold onto Cleary. If they lose him, they are back to square one. We have got Hunt signed up for the until 2022 and Widdop signed up until 2021. I believe that we have a better pack of forwards that Penrith and Wests. We also have some very promising backs in Lomax, Sailor, Field, Marsters and Matherson Johns.

As for Kerr, he never had the wraps on him that Pangai had, we had/have hopes for Kerr. He isn't being spoken of as a potential origin player this year or any other year. I hope he does make it, Pangai looks like he had already made it. I think James Graham is also a good mentor for a young prop, be it either Pangai or Kerr.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I really don't see him leaving Brisbane any time soon.
If he did he would most likely go to Newcastle, where he played his junior football (South Newcastle Lions).
Millward has already gone on record as saying we are a develipment club and will promote from within.

Frank Facer

First Grade
If he did he would most likely go to Newcastle, where he played his junior football (South Newcastle Lions).
Millward has already gone on record as saying we are a develipment club and will promote from within.
You are probably correct about Pangai not leaving Brisbane, but I would have thought the same thing about Hunt. We are probably a much better chance of winning a comp than Brisbane are in the foreseeable future.

You may also be correct that Newcastle could be a chance as Pagani is from Newcastle. They do look like a club on the up. He would also be joining up with Moga and Hesse, if he went to Newy. I like Brown as a coach too.

Millward has made some very astute signings since taking over as head of recruitment, Pangai would be another astute signing. I don't think it will happen, but I am just putting it out there for discussion.

SackMaryNow

Juniors
Vunivalu is off contract at the end of 2020, while Addo Carr is off contract at the end of 2021. We have to look else where or promote our own. I am not a fan of spending big money on wingers.

Would you fork out big for someone like Semi? I would. Totally get your point but there are some damaging wingers that can really make an impact on top of being astute finishers.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Would you fork out big for someone like Semi? I would.
Semi would be the highest I would go for a winger. I actually did think of Semi, when replying to your last post. If Semi was playing outside of Aitken, he wouldn't get any ball and be wasted, the same applies to anyone else who plays outside of Aitken. I think that Semi played much better when playing outside of Takairangi than when playing outside of Jennings. He didn't get much ball off Jennings.

I would have liked to see Semi given a run at fullback. Then he would be able to play both sides of the field, float around the ruck and get to return more kicks. The only question is, would he have been able to ball play like the modern fullbacks have to today?

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Dragonslayer.
Big chance of staying at brisbane but if he was to leave as you say knights is my tip.
A junior and good mates with some of the Newcastle boys

Is there a player in the league that someone on this forum dosnt want to buy?

I don't want to buy a premiership.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not against buying a player or two.
Hunt was a good buy after spending years trying to nurture a home grown half.
Vaughn was a good buy after being underrated at his old club.
Graham was a good buy cause the Bulldogs are picking up a lot of his tab.

But jeez, there's people on here that want to buy a full team.

Life's Good

Coach
TPJ is a good player who looks to be developing nicely. Given the Broncos are very light in the forwards I simply can't see them losing him especially when he even said a)he wants to play under Bennett & b)he said he wants to be a Bronco for life.

For a player of his calibre the Broncos will find a way(they will lose Thaiday, probably Sims as well).
And for those thinking 'why didn't they find a way to keep Hunt' it's simple, club & player wanted to go separate ways.

Now let's move onto more hypothesising over Ponga coming off contract in 2021.