What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thank you Benji

Coffs dragon

Bench
It was always a recipe for failure:
The ego of Benji + the arrogance of Mary - the lack of no genuine organizing halfback = a phuckin disaster!!!
Bye bye Benji and good luck in the next stage of life's journey.

St Georgio

Juniors
It was always a recipe for failure:
The ego of Benji + the arrogance of Mary - the lack of no genuine organizing halfback = a phuckin disaster!!!
Bye bye Benji and good luck in the next stage of life's journey.
Is it not a good coach job to contain all egos in a Footy team?
Mary is the phuckin disaster!

2010Dragons

Bench
Good riddances to Benji.
Useful as tits on a bull.

The only fans who are going to miss him are people in row Z in the stands and guys at the top of the hill.

These fans will have to practise catching a stray ball by themselves.

St Georgio

Juniors
It is just a shame how different things would have been for all concerned if Brian Smith was coach 2014/2015!
Hopefully this is the end of this thread!

Sigurd

Juniors
Faak you very much.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN A PLAYER DO SO LITTLE EACH WEEK AS WIDDOP HAS THIS YEAR AND NOT GET DROPPED. HE IS LITERALLY THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL AS FAR AS THIS SEASON HAS GONE. BENJI HAS PUT IN EVERYTHING HE HAS TO TRY AND MAKE UP FOR WIDDOP BUT IT WASN'T ENOUGH.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR EFFORT BENJI! IN MY BOOKS ITS THIS YEAR, NOT LAST YEAR WHEN YOU CARRIED US TO THE FINALS BECAUSE AT LEAST YOU HAD MINIMAL HELP FROM WIDDOP, THAT MAKES YOU A DRAGONS HERO!

FAAK WIDDOP
FAAK MCGREGOR
AND ITS HURTS ME TO SAY BUT FAAK THE DRAGONS FOR AS LONG AS EITHER OF THESE TWO LEECHES REMAINS AT THE CLUB!

I HAVE HAD IT! THE LAST 5 YEARS HAS REACHED ITS CLIMAX AND I CAN NO LONGER BEAR IT.

Fundamentally I agree but Marshall didn't carry the team last season. Before JDB was injured he was the best player on the team. Thompson, Friz, Marshall, Dugan and LAM just behind. Even Widdop had the occasional try assist from short kicks (though his passing game was still a sick joke considering he is supposed to be a playmaker).

In the end, McGregor, Widdop, Price and others who have brought the club into disrepute will be remembered as nothing but a hiccup. Too soon to give up on the club. Just expect a team pushing to make the finals at best while any of them are still around.

its not entirely benjis fault but he will be the scapegoat they should sack widdop as well he has been worse than benji
what will happen if hutch and widdop dont gel
widdop will still be there and it will be hutch's fault

That is exactly what will happen and they won't gel.

Apologies for posting this reply incorrectly last time.

Can you please use a bigger font size the people in NZ are having a little trouble reading it.

In respect of your quote
"HAVE HAD IT! THE LAST 5 YEARS HAS REACHED ITS CLIMAX AND I CAN NO LONGER BEAR IT."

Try crawling back into your cave and going back to sleep because your hibernation has not been nearly long enough.

You should try and figure it out. Not too difficult even if your mental faculties are no longer what they once were.

Sigurd

Juniors
It is just a shame how different things would have been for all concerned if Brian Smith was coach 2014/2015!
Hopefully this is the end of this thread!

IMO Brian Smith is exactly what this club needs now. Even if he doesn't win a premiership he has an unmatched record of taking teams that are a basket-case and making them contenders in short time.

St Georgio

Juniors
IMO Brian Smith is exactly what this club needs now. Even if he doesn't win a premiership he has an unmatched record of taking teams that are a basket-case and making them contenders in short time.
Smithy took on basket case the chooks after the Brad Fitler debacle and made the GF against US, so I would be quite happy for him to take over for a couple of years, if we can't sign Cleary.
Smith understands the culture of both St George and Illawarra!

Sigurd

Juniors
Smithy took on basket case the chooks after the Brad Fitler debacle and made the GF against US, so I would be quite happy for him to take over for a couple of years, if we can't sign Cleary.
Smith understands the culture of both St George and Illawarra!

Cleary would be good but on a 2 year deal I would prefer Smith. The way I see it Cleary is a long term. A guy who would turn the team around slowly. Smith would do it much quicker and more ruthlessly, put a few noses out of joint and leave being the very unpopular coach of a young team rapidly on the up.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Dropping Benji for Hutch for 1 game, then reinstating him for a farewell is the most ludicrous thing I have heard all year.

He's had ample time to look at Hutch and as others have said, numerous chances to play him when Benji was injured. And if he was fair dinkum about giving Hutch a crack, why have him for just one game. If you're going to drop Benji, just drop him. Or let him see out the year,. Not this one game out and then back in BS.

All I see is Mary using the high profile dumping of Benji (the same week Rein was shown the door) as a clear indication that he's pointing the finger squarely at the players for another failed campaign.

And then giving Benji a farewell, so people think he's a good bloke. FMD, gimme a break.

Yep like me mate you are awake up to the slight of hand Mary is trying to put over everyone....look people watch closely at no time will my hand leave my wrist.......not only has he lost the dressing room but most supporters of this great club

giboz71

First Grade
Yep like me mate you are awake up to the slight of hand Mary is trying to put over everyone....look people watch closely at no time will my hand leave my wrist.......not only has he lost the dressing room but most supporters of this great club

Absolutely mate. He's been doing it for while. Started at the press conference where he asked to direct all questions regarding the roster to the recruitment staff. Deflection at its finest.

Dropping Benji for 1 game serves no conceivable purpose. Hutch won't show us anything new in a Monday night meaningless game. Nothing will be gained from this pointless exercise.

Dropping Benji for a single game and setting Rein loose all in the same week is a clear statement from Mary that they are at the forefront for the failures this year. Not him.

The transparency is almost comical if it wasn't so pathetic.

kit66

Bench
I'm very surprised there hasn't been wider condemnation of the way Benji has been treated by the club, from fans and the media alike. Our last coach was chinless and our present one spineless. Mary McFagit trying to present Benji as a scapegoat for his own stunning ineptitude is the lowest point in the club's recent history of lows and unforgiveable. I've stopped going to games and won't be renewing my membership until McFagit, Hornby and the Young family are flushed from the club and we can get on and find some people who know how to coach and build a successful team.

I personally feel saddened for Benji and embarrassed that the club I support could treat him like this. He's a legend and he's been such a great role model for the kids, what a shame to go out this way. It's a f*cking disgrace.

Sigurd

Juniors
I'm very surprised there hasn't been wider condemnation of the way Benji has been treated by the club, from fans and the media alike. Our last coach was chinless and our present one spineless. Mary McFagit trying to present Benji as a scapegoat for his own stunning ineptitude is the lowest point in the club's recent history of lows and unforgiveable. I've stopped going to games and won't be renewing my membership until McFagit, Hornby and the Young family are flushed from the club and we can get on and find some people who know how to coach and build a successful team.
I personally feel saddened for Benji and embarrassed that the club I support could treat him like this. He's a legend and he's been such a great role model for the kids, what a shame to go out this way. It's a f*cking disgrace.
I just think it's a big part of the reason so few players want to come to the Dragons even on the promise of more, or much more money.

Old Timer

Coach
No one is saying that Benji is not a great role model nor that he has not BEEN a great player.
In simple terms he could have had a contract and he didn't accept the offer and rolled the dice and to date has lost.
So he placed himself in this dilemma and to further compound it his form has been poor.
Now before all the idiots get on here talking about Widdop, Rein etc etc their selection or non selection is an entirely different matter and gets debated in other threads.
This is simply about Benji and his form warranting selection for sections sake because he is "possibly" retiring but he himself has not actually said that is the case.
If I am not mistaken do the NRL give retiring players a send off on GF day?

Uplifting

Juniors
I was excited when Benji was signed and I backed him to prove all the critics wrong and develop his game. Clearly his famous adhoc style of play, his speed and evasiveness are a 'young mans' traits, he needed to metamorphosis into being effective in other ways, someone who would execute set plays, and form combinations with others, even adhoc.

There were some great moments along the way, we saw him control some games with his kicking game and some slick passing - but this was mostly in the first half of 2015. I honestly don't know why this year has gone the way it has...

I still believe he maintains his integrity.

Sigurd

Juniors
No one is saying that Benji is not a great role model nor that he has not BEEN a great player.
In simple terms he could have had a contract and he didn't accept the offer and rolled the dice and to date has lost.
So he placed himself in this dilemma and to further compound it his form has been poor.
Now before all the idiots get on here talking about Widdop, Rein etc etc their selection or non selection is an entirely different matter and gets debated in other threads.
This is simply about Benji and his form warranting selection for sections sake because he is "possibly" retiring but he himself has not actually said that is the case.
If I am not mistaken do the NRL give retiring players a send off on GF day?

No, f**k that. Paul Comber is right. I never thought of it before but it must have been so hard for Marshall given his bumbling "playmaking" partner who seems to prefer hiding than running the risk of making mistakes comfortable in the knowledge a lot of fans will give him all the credit if the team wins and blame everyone but him if the Dragons lose. Bellamy must be having fits of laughter at our expense. I f**king hate that guy but not less than our bumbling idiots who justify Bellamy's contempt of us.

getsmarty

Immortal
Marshall deserves fitting send-off
MITCH JENNINGS
25 Aug 2016, 6 p.m.
r0_500_4896_3024_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

CURTAIN CALL: His career may not end on his terms but Benji Marshall will be remembered as one of the all-time great entertainers. Picture: Edwina Pickles

IT was a sweltering hot day at Harry Elliot Oval Tuncurry in February 2004 when this columnist first saw Benji Marshall play rugby league in the flesh.

He was still a teenager and only a few years older than the rugby league-mad kid sitting on the roof of the dressing sheds dodging security. The Tigers were playing Widnes in a preseason game and all eyes were on the skinny kid out on the left edge. He was playing centre that day but it was really just a number on his back.

He popped up everywhere on the paddock, chip kicks, no-look passes, dodging defenders with ease and producing that step – that crazy freak of rugby league nature, literally leaving defenders grasping at thin air.

These days we’ve seen virtually every young star produce some variation of it, from the Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to Shaun Johnson, but back then, we’d never seen anything like it. To the hundreds of kids lining the fence, and a few bigger ones on the roof, he was an instant hero. Most of them left brand new Tigers fans.

Kids all over backyards everywhere were tripping themselves up practicing the ‘Benji step’ you couldn’t watch and game from under 6s to under 16s without seeing some variation of it. Kids, you see, look at the game with different eyes. They don’t grow up dreaming of completing their sets, getting to their kick, getting to their points on the field or running an “unders” line between c and d defender. They want to play like Benji.

It’s why when Marshall returned to the Dragons from an ill-fated rugby union switch in 2014 he was instant favourite among the young fans. For us older, wiser more cynical it’s a view we lose with passing time. We saw the low percentage plays, errors on the stats sheet, a struggle to change his game as the natural flair faded.

I’m sure if he had his time again he might go back and take that $300,000 the club offered him at the start of the season. It would have saved a lot of angst for both himself and the club which coach Paul McGregor has admitted in recent weeks has been divided by contract talks this season.

Now his time at the Dragons is at an end and there haven’t been a whole lot of nibbles elsewhere. It’s a sad end if it’s the last we’ll see of him on the paddock. There’s no doubt if he’s forced into retirement he’ll pop up in various pastel colours on our TV screens and the honest and humble way he’s conducted himself this year in the face of constant speculation over his future has shown he’s truly a class act.

Paul McGregor’s decision to guarantee him a swansong performance has divided opinion but it’s refreshing to see that sentiment is not entirely dead in the game. He deserves a final lap.

Marshall’s a 250-gamer, despite five shoulder operations before the age of 22, a golden boot-winner and former Kiwi Test captain. In a game becoming more homogenized, more robotic, more formulaic with each passing season, genuine entertainers are a dying breed. In that class, Marshall is undeniably an all-time great. Looking back through time it takes genuinely special players to actually change the game.

In New Zealand where rugby union is king, Marshall can be considered the most influential player of all time.

Whatever your opinion of Benji Marshall it’s undeniable that in the game of rugby league there was a time before Benji and a time after Benji. It’s a legacy only a special few can claim.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4118035/kickoff-benji-a-true-game-changer/?cs=2382

SaintHarry

Juniors
What an absolute embarrassment.. whats the go with " the boys club " why cant they see the club is slowly being destroyed? Whats in it for them ? The club is in debt ..players dont want to sign with us ... sponsors aren't interested although iv heard in the past big business men have approached the club only to be turned away... iv spoken to ex players one of them was yesterday being amos roberts he told me even when he was there it was very political i asked what do you think ruined the club he simply said when they merged and i am of this belief.. doust has screwed us fans big time ask m.gasnier what he thinks of the club he only came back cause of bennett he cant stand doust i was sitting next to him when i said it funny he "retired" the year bennett left theres a really bad smell at the club and it isnt one of those smile when you smell me type smells its a foul dirty off crownie type smell .. everyone has a right to an opinion. That fact the club took the 10mill incentive from the nrl not to go to the super league we had blokes driving up the princess hwy from the Illawarra for many years coming to play for us why merge? He f@#ked lined his pockets and kept eveyone quite with the rest of the money which created the "boys club" isnt there a way we can expose them for who they are and what they have done ?

giboz71

First Grade
Completely agree that Benji needs to be moved on, but I do feel he's been treated poorly.

As I've said previously, dropping Benji and playing Hutch for 1 game serves no useful purpose, other than a statement to say that Benji is at the forefront of the team's failures. I notice Rein, who is also unwanted next year, is still in the team this week. As is usual with Mary, this makes no logical sense.

And there is plenty of blame to go around. Widdop has been atrocious this year and even Dugan has hardly lived up to his huge price tag. But it seems like the finger is being pointed squarely at Benji which I think is unfair, especially since he's only played half a season, with a sore hamstring to boot.