What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks Freddy

T-Boon

Coach
NSW has certainly played a much better brand of RL that they did under Daley (Daley's style was as bad a RL can get).
It still wasn't great but considering these guys play the dull modern NRL brand every week he really did a great job in getting them prepared to play some rugby league.
Fittler is cause for hope in the game as far as coaching goes. For example I have heard him criticise the amount of decoy running in the past. I have heard him say things to the effect of "is that all they have these days. Everything needs to be off 2 decoys every backline move?".

Billythekid

First Grade
NSW would have won more series over the last 10 years if QLD had no Thurston, Cronk, Smith and Scott (not to mention Slater game 1).

NSW deserved the victory but I don't see Fittler as some messiah. I like how many coaches have been vilified despite getting so close to beating the maroons at their best (with far better teams than they dished up this year) and yet so many now act like Fittler has changed the blues by just beating this weakened team.

Credit where it's due but I don't see the huge difference that some are.

Spot On

Coach
NSW would have won more series over the last 10 years if QLD had no Thurston, Cronk, Smith and Scott (not to mention Slater game 1).

NSW deserved the victory but I don't see Fittler as some messiah. I like how many coaches have been vilified despite getting so close to beating the maroons at their best (with far better teams than they dished up this year) and yet so many now act like Fittler has changed the blues by just beating this weakened team.

Credit where it's due but I don't see the huge difference that some are.

Agree with some of this.

However, NSW have picked many blokes who just should not have been given a rep jersey thanks to Bozo and blokes who showed up, did f**k all and were picked again the next year. And the year after that. And so on.

Fred hung his nuts out there and did something no one else was prepared to do ...... and no it wasn't a genius idea..... he selected young blokes who were in form that he knew had the right attitude and moved away from established, experienced rep players that for some reason seemed to believe that had a right to turn up and collect their 30K.

11 debutants. A series win in the first 2 games. That is quite special imo.

Not QLD finest hour really.

11 debutants.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Has to be acknowledged that he only want for the job when the whole RL community knew the talent cycle was dramatically shifting toward the blues. Until now he’d left the job to others to have their legacy tainted.

Smart move though.

Travitoh

First Grade
Say what you want about Queensland's aging stars but 11 debutants up against 8 Australian reps from the RLWC six months earlier shouldn't be chasing a series whitewash.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Has to be acknowledged that he only want for the job when the whole RL community knew the talent cycle was dramatically shifting toward the blues. Until now he’d left the job to others to have their legacy tainted.

Smart move though.

Was appointed before Cronk and Smith retired.

Spot On

Coach
You don't think the QLD squad was strong enough to win this year's series M4L?

Basically an all Australian backline, Wally Lewis medal winner and freak rep player in Gagai, hit man Napa, NRL's best halfback so far in 2018 in Hunt, Munster - who Darren Lockyer said was the greatest Origin debut ever (in f**king history mind you!!!!) last year, experience in grub McGuire, Wallace and Cooper in starting pack, McCullough with 200+ NRL games, the young behemoth Coen Hess with a series under the belt already. Young monster Jai Arrow who can't be stopped with a tank. Don't forget Josh 'Wrecking ball' Papali as well.

Not a bad team there at all.

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
Agree with some of this.

However, NSW have picked many blokes who just should not have been given a rep jersey thanks to Bozo and blokes who showed up, did f**k all and were picked again the next year. And the year after that. And so on.

Fred hung his nuts out there and did something no one else was prepared to do ...... and no it wasn't a genius idea..... he selected young blokes who were in form that he knew had the right attitude and moved away from established, experienced rep players that for some reason seemed to believe that had a right to turn up and collect their 30K.

11 debutants. A series win in the first 2 games. That is quite special imo.

Not QLD finest hour really.

11 debutants.

You won't find a bigger fan of Freddy Fittler than myself but I do think he is getting a little too much credit for the selections when he merely made the selections that made sense. I don't think the team would have been too much different under another coach and it is hard to justify any of the debutants being picked prior to this year.

Team in game 1

Tedesco - Picked last year
Turbo - This is one he should get credit for. Certainly no the obvious choice at wing and it worked
Roberts - Aitken may have been picked under another coach but it is hard to say this has even been a good pick. One of our few non-performers
Latrell - Knocking the door down but impossible to pick prior to this year
JAD - See Latrell
Maloney - Picked prior to this year and the obvious choice
Cleary - Touted by all and sundry as the 2018 HB the moment game 3 last year finished
Klemmer - Our best forward in 2017
Cook - An inspired choice as we was knocking the door down but hard to pick on form pre 2018
RCG - Played in the RLWC
Cords - Captain in 2017
Frizell - A good kangaroo and origin performer prior to 2018
De Belin - Knocking the door down but full credit to Freddy for pulling the trigger
Vaughan - See De Belin
Jurbo - Impossible not to pick
Crighton - This is one that may not have been picked under another coach so credit there
Peachey - Obvious choice at utility for mine.

Spot On

Coach
You've convinced me - hung his nuts out there moving away from established and experienced rep players.

11 debutants. They were there for the taking but QLD werent good enough.

And the side still havent played the style of footy they want to - yet. It will come.

Most of the side are yet to play a full series.

Amazing really.