What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks Spinner

deluded pom?

Coach
Spinner Howland mentioned in a post recently that from 22nd January 2016 he will be stepping back from RL for personal reasons. I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank him for everything he's done for the sport of RL in the USA. From setting up and funding the Axemen through the turmoil of the AMNRL/USARL split and steering the game to calmer waters. Thanks again Spinner and all the best for whatever the future holds for you.

latingringo101

Juniors
Spinner Howland mentioned in a post recently that from 22nd January 2016 he will be stepping back from RL for personal reasons. I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank him for everything he's done for the sport of RL in the USA. From setting up and funding the Axemen through the turmoil of the AMNRL/USARL split and steering the game to calmer waters. Thanks again Spinner and all the best for whatever the future holds for you.

Same, i've been following the efforts of the Axemen and Spinner since 2009 and what he's done for Rugby League in the USA has been fantastic.

Well done Spinner and all the best in your future!

league13

Juniors
Thanks Spinner you have done a great job in the States with League. You have always kept us well informed and I am going to miss that side of it.All the best in what ever the future holds for you.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
Thank you to all the people on the forums who have helped increase the profile of RL in the USA. I am grateful to have been part of a very passionate group of people in Jacksonville, the 3 expansion cities in the Southeast and the USA in general.

After growing 3 teams in 2012 & 2013 in Orlando, Daytona and Tampa, as well as the Jacksonville "Hatchets", for a minor league system that operated below the Axemen, we announced the creation of the Atlanta Rhinos, Central Florida Warriors, and Tampa Mayhem in 2014. In just two short years, the operating groups in those cities grew their teams to be so competitive that last year all 4 teams in the South were a chance of the Title into the Semi Finals. And the Atlanta Rhinos proving the best of the 4 by winning the SE Championship, WITHOUT any import players, and being coached by two AMERICANS! Only two years to level up to the standard that the Axemen had grown into. That effort from all those passionate men, is nothing short of amazing.

As of this week, the change over of ownership to each of the three operating groups is now complete, and all 3 expansion teams are now OWNED and operated by their respective investors. I am proud to have had the opportunity to work with these men, and without any doubt believe in their passion for Rugby League, and their business acumen to drive their teams into a bright future.
You can see the first of these announcements at the Tampa Mayhem site, and on their facebook page.

I ask each of you to get to know the new owners at each of the teams, and help them grow their individual teams, and the BRAND that they are now invested in. Like their facebook pages, share their news, and help if possible as they now take over the Greatest Game Of All in their respective cities.

I honestly feel that this group of men, hold the same passion and desires for the game that Drew and Myself have done since the creation of the Axemen in 2006. I am very proud and honored that they found us, agreed to partner with us in 2014, and could not have wished for better groups to continue the work, that THEY have been a VERY LARGE part of for the past 2 years. I thank each and everyone of them for allowing me an opportunity to work with them.

There will also be an announcement coming soon in regards to a 25% owner/investor opportunity with the Jacksonville Axemen.

Again, I also thank each of you for the part you played in getting Rugby League to this stage in the USA.

I will remain involved from afar, as much as possible, or as asked, in any way I can.
And for those who have asked, my reasons for moving on from the USA are personal, and there is most certainly nothing negative about anything to do with the health of the game here. I have stepped down from both the USARL LLC. and INC. boards, but have total faith in everything involved. I was proud to see the USA Hawks advance to the World Cup with a team made up of 14 domestic players, and know that the standard of domestic Rugby League is only going to improve each year.
For those who care, I let you all know when I actually move, and where that move takes me.

After playing my first game of Rugby League for the USA almost 20 years ago, and especially since the creation of the Axemen in 2006, there are just way too many people to thank by name, so to them all, thank you for letting me be part of the passion we all hold for the growth of this great game.

Last edited:

yakstorm

First Grade
Thanks Spinner for your service not only to the Axemen and USA Rugby League but to the sport in general. The work you have done and inspired others to do has laid amazing foundations for the future growth of Rugby League throughout North America.

I'm sure everyone on this part of the forum will support all the new owners and the developments of RL in the South East of the US.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
Thanks from the Sharks/Hibos.

For some nostalgia check out these pics of Spinner playing for the Sharks!

http://www.oocities.org/grant_ni/njsharks/media1.html

Bloody hell mate. Where did you find that site!!! TBH it only seems like yesterday that we were all there. I loved flying up for games each week. Truth be known, it was moments like this that convinced me that there where enough guys in the USA to make RL work. All the players, not giving a damn about the type of fields, the standard of the players, the travel (Greg Swinford for instance), etc. We all just played simply for the love of the game, no matter what the cost.