What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ashes!

Rabbits20

Immortal
England have their tails up now and are back in the game while we're backing in our decision to bat by sending in a night-watchman. Well done Smith.
I can see why he chose to bat again though...

Give the bowlers a bit of a rest...

Travitoh

First Grade
I can see why he chose to bat again though...

Give the bowlers a bit of a rest...

You're right but it hasn't gotten above 25° all test and there was an hour and a half left of day 3. This 'workload management' mentality is trash. We would've rolled them by tonight and everyone would have an extra days rest. Now we'll definitely be playing day 5.
Steve Waugh was a great captain because if he smelt blood, he went for the kill. Everyone since have been too afraid of what might go wrong.

Rabbits20

Immortal
You're right but it hasn't gotten above 25° all test and there was an hour and a half left of day 3. This 'workload management' mentality is trash. We would've rolled them by tonight and everyone would have an extra days rest. Now we'll definitely be playing day 5.
Steve Waugh was a great captain because if he smelt blood, he went for the kill. Everyone since have been too afraid of what might go wrong.
Bat 40 overs if we last today and add 90-100 then have 55 overs at them and it could all be over...

98 overs to be bowled to make up for rain....

Pommy

Coach
I still think Australia win this by a good number of runs but I would be pissed off if Root had made the same choice Smith did, f**k resting bowlers when England haven’t exactly been making them work hard so far.

Travitoh

First Grade
Bat 40 overs if we last today and add 90-100 then have 55 overs at them and it could all be over...

98 overs to be bowled to make up for rain....

Well instead of England going out to bat again last night to fight off a loss, they're batting to level the series. I would still expect us to win from here but we've given the English confidence for the first time this tour and a chance to turn the tide of pressure onto us.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well instead of England going out to bat again last night to fight off a loss, they're batting to level the series. I would still expect us to win from here but we've given the English confidence for the first time this tour and a chance to turn the tide of pressure onto us.
Root has played with such grit and determination....

He would have to score another 70 odd tomorrow for England to win....

Credit to England for fighting but I feel we will bowl them out for about 300 and win by 50 runs....

Pommy

Coach
Root has played with such grit and determination....

He would have to score another 70 odd tomorrow for England to win....

Credit to England for fighting but I feel we will bowl them out for about 300 and win by 50 runs....

But that’s an utterly ridiculous situation to be in. Good for me, good for fans of cricket but the Australian team should be 2-0 up having a day off.
I still think Australia win but why run the risk?

Rabbits20

Immortal
If they if we had an all rounder we'd have enforced the follow on.....

I can understand fully why Smith didn't do it to not burn the bowlers out and as Root probably would've gone big and say England made 340 odd that would've left us with a very tricky 130 to win.....

Aussies needed to bat batter and for the first time this series we showed weaknesses that are there....

Travitoh

First Grade
I feel there was a touch of arrogance about the decision.

The resting the bowlers theory doesn't make sense to me as if we had put the English back in, i strongly believe they'd be all out by this point and our bowlers would be in the sheds putting their feet up while we at most bat to get the last few runs and have the opportunity to start their recovery a day earlier.

Putting the English back in also places the emphasis on them to get a result. This Adelaide test is one they would've targeted as a win so to play for a draw and go to Perth down 1-0 would almost seal their fate for the series. Instead, they have a chance to level the series and take some confidence into the eastern tests.

Travitoh

First Grade
Not to mention giving Anderson and Woakes a new ball in conditions that suit swing bowling, it's no accident that 9 of the wickets were taken by that pair.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I feel there was a touch of arrogance about the decision.

The resting the bowlers theory doesn't make sense to me as if we had put the English back in, i strongly believe they'd be all out by this point and our bowlers would be in the sheds putting their feet up while we at most bat to get the last few runs and have the opportunity to start their recovery a day earlier.

Putting the English back in also places the emphasis on them to get a result. This Adelaide test is one they would've targeted as a win so to play for a draw and go to Perth down 1-0 would almost seal their fate for the series. Instead, they have a chance to level the series and take some confidence into the eastern tests.
We will win..

TheTruth

Juniors
Seriously... Do you rejoice at competing contra 4th World countries such as Pakistan India Sri Lanka and Bangladesh??? I cringe personally and have advocated the dopes here have a Track & Field + Road Cycling season through summer supplemented by explosive team sports such as Volleyball, Basketball etc. Develop people here who can compete against DEVELOPED countries in the above areas. I heard an interview with Melbourne's NBA star Andrew Bogut about a year ago on Radio ABC and he stated that he does NOT comprehend why Aust. has continually concentrated resources in areas that the developed world has no interest in such as RL and Aussie Dicks. Bogut sounded embarrassed!!!I concur 100% with Bogut and Cricket is a game for Nursing Home residents. Wearing jumpers and pants and calling THAT a sport??? No!!!

You fecking heathen :unamused:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well a good day 1 to England yesterday....

They played positively and with intent and the right attitude....

So 4/305 they are.....

We could still get them out for about 380-390 with a couple of early wickets....

They look set for closer towards 430-450 to me.......

Whilst we dropped a couple of catches and things went their way they deserved it though....

Hopefully when we bat we don't lose a couple early putting pressure on Smith and then having to rely on the Marsh'

Travitoh

First Grade
Well a good day 1 to England yesterday....

They played positively and with intent and the right attitude....

So 4/305 they are.....

We could still get them out for about 380-390 with a couple of early wickets....

They look set for closer towards 430-450 to me.......

Whilst we dropped a couple of catches and things went their way they deserved it though....

Hopefully when we bat we don't lose a couple early putting pressure on Smith and then having to rely on the Marsh'

Nailed it.
We bowled well and got away to a good start with only Stoneman offering resistance with the bat up until he got that hit to the helmet. After that he seemed a bit timid.
Malan and Bairstow have been class though. Weathered the storm against the short ball and have now gottwn themselves into a position to really fill their boots.
The first hour today will be clutch for both sides. If England can get to drinks without loss then they could go really big here and turn the pressure on to us.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Nailed it.
We bowled well and got away to a good start with only Stoneman offering resistance with the bat up until he got that hit to the helmet. After that he seemed a bit timid.
Malan and Bairstow have been class though. Weathered the storm against the short ball and have now gottwn themselves into a position to really fill their boots.
The first hour today will be clutch for both sides. If England can get to drinks without loss then they could go really big here and turn the pressure on to us.
Typical collapse from England....

Overton going down was a big blow....

Been the Smithy show again......

We are just on top but a couple of wickets in the first hour and it evens it up....

Pommy

Coach
We’re totally f**king clueless, looks like we could bowl until next Tuesday and not come close to taking a wicket.

Pommy

Coach
If it wasn’t for bad luck we would have no luck at all.
Well played Warner, one mistake and he made it on 99 :)

Rabbits20

Immortal
Whilst enjoying the cricket I'm enjoying the Sydney to Hobart!!!

I like numbers lots so how fast the yachts are going and all that I like......