What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Dont' Like Cricket, Oh No, I Love it, Yeah

Suitman

Post Whore
Ashes series are still incredible.
I've been glued to this series.
So happy we smashed them today, but would have been almost equally happy if they had won to keep life in the series.
We may not have the Warne's, McGrath's, Gilchrist's etc.... these days, but the cricket is as equally fascinating with huge crowds and great atmosphere.
Test cricket is the beast of all forms.
The other forms are just lollipop shit for the uneducated and those with short attention spans.

Paddy Cummins is a superstar, has had no luck atm but he’s going to run through a side soon.

Ashes Extras: Why is Pat Cummins so good?
TELEMMGLPICT000148454060_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqM37qcIWR9CtrqmiMdQVx7DaqpCYpfIfzKRzUaM0QbqE.jpeg

Roar power: Pat Cummins was fearsome and skilled CREDIT: GETTY
5 DECEMBER 2017 • 4:17PM

Although the least experienced of the trio, Pat Cummins has been the pick of the Australian seamers so far, with Shane Warne calling him “the dangerman”.

So what are his qualities? How did he demonstrate them on day four of the Adelaide Test match? And how did they all come together for the magnificent delivery that ended the dogged resistance of Dawid Malan just when the Aussies were starting to get really worried?

He does just enough with the ball...
Cummins has not swung the ball prodigiously in this match: in fact, he has got the least movement through the air of any of the seven pace bowlers on display.

His average swing of 0.35 degrees is less than half of James Anderson or Mitchell Starc, as reported by data analysis experts CricViz.

Likewise, he is not extracting extravagant movement off the seam: in this match, an average of 0.61 degrees, which is less than any other bowler bar Josh Hazlewood.

... he does it at proper pace...
Cummins's average speeds throughout this match have been excellent: 88.48 average, making him markedly quicker than England’s fastest man Chris Woakes (average 85.66) and second only to Starc.

Cummins has the ability to bowl extreme pace and his quickest ball in the match so far was 95.55mph, much more rapid than England’s Broad and Woakes, who have both topped out at 91.5mph.

… and he can stick to a plan...
Cummins has got 69.4% of his deliveries in the match on a good length, which is better than any other bowler on display. Woakes is second with 67.6, Anderson and Broad have been in the low sixties and Starc at 57.1%.

Particularly against England’s left-handers, Cummins has been extremely disciplined.

received_1720774611322801_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqLAxMOlOd5aBPSsN63muQt2DGTg8gQCUmuwngxWIbnKE.png

Pat Cummins behive shows his accuracy especially v left-handers CREDIT: CRICVIZ
All of this adds up to a formidable bowler, and this was shown to excellent effect in the dismissal of Dawid Malan on day four.

Coming around the wicket, Cummins produced a ball at brisk pace on a decent length that moved enough.

vlcsnap-2017-12-05-10h51m09s85_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqDtATMDL8EfY2a4Qn4oMidSSCWaIU_T59qswwDeF0ghA.png

Cummins was too good and it all came together in this dismissal of Malan CREDIT: BT SPORT CRICKET
Incidentally, it was pitched on almost the exact same spot as the delivery with which he dismissed Malan in the first innings.

vlcsnap-2017-12-05-10h54m57s66_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqJhscHWYCewOsiKXrms3KfzFFO2TqgM6MpeUkoXSO1YY.png

Deja vu: Cummins to Malan at Adelaide dismissals CREDIT: BT SPORT CRICKET
Geoffrey Boycott at the time, on BT Sport Cricket: "It is the pace. It didn't do a lot. But that is what pace gives you, it's just through him. And you just do not get that with fast medium bowling"

While one might hope he does not do it against England too often, most lovers of Test cricket will surely be wishing this exciting talent better luck with injuries than he has enjoyed hitherto in his young career.

Cummins made his debut all the way back in 2011 and this is just his sixth Test. If he stays fit, and keeps bowling like this, he could become a great.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2017/12/05/ashes-extras-pat-cummins-good/#

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
the beer is an added benefit, except of course when you are working all day and just happen to have a TV in your office

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he was picked as our new 13th man, or thats what the selectors would have us believe, I wouldn't be surprised if he replaces Handscombe so Steve Smith can enforce the follow on without being paranoid about our fragile bowling attack

he was picked as our new 13th man, or thats what the selectors would have us believe, I wouldn't be surprised if he replaces Handscombe so Steve Smith can enforce the follow on without being paranoid about our fragile bowling attack

Yeh, well, as I said before the first Test, Handscombe will struggle against Anderson. His technique is just asking for it. I was wrong....he has struggled against both Anderson and Broad, and probably Woakes too.

AFAIK Marsh has only bowled in 1 shield game? If he was actually bowling at 140 clicks it's not a terrible decision, as the WACA is not a bad patting pitch these days and we may have get through a lot of overs in one innings at least. But he hasn't bowled at top pace for 2 years. You'd just hope that if picked, he comes in at 4/290 rather than 4/80.

Kornstar

Coach
Ashes series are still incredible.
I've been glued to this series.
So happy we smashed them today, but would have been almost equally happy if they had won to keep life in the series.
We may not have the Warne's, McGrath's, Gilchrist's etc.... these days, but the cricket is as equally fascinating with huge crowds and great atmosphere.
Test cricket is the beast of all forms.
The other forms are just lollipop shit for the uneducated and those with short attention spans.

I am both uneducated and have a very short attention span but i really love test cricket.

I do also enjoy the other forms though but yeah i like tests much more.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Yeh, well, as I said before the first Test, Handscombe will struggle against Anderson. His technique is just asking for it. I was wrong....he has struggled against both Anderson and Broad, and probably Woakes too.

AFAIK Marsh has only bowled in 1 shield game? If he was actually bowling at 140 clicks it's not a terrible decision, as the WACA is not a bad patting pitch these days and we may have get through a lot of overs in one innings at least. But he hasn't bowled at top pace for 2 years. You'd just hope that if picked, he comes in at 4/290 rather than 4/80.

I guess he was picked for his pace, he only has 2 wickets since returning. He averages 70 apparently since coming back and for mine, if they play him, is more important as we dont necessarily need a tearaway all rounder just some one who can give the quicks a rest.

With our crappy batting line up I think runs are more important and it will probabaly be batsman friendly as you say. IF he makes a 50 I think we can lock him in for some time as the selectors obviously have a hard on for a Marsh.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Mitch Marsh - I tell you all how it is gonna pan out....

He wont be in the XI for Perth, We go 3-0 up

selectors think, ok we won the series lets give the great Mitch Marsh another go
He scores a double ton at the MCG and a 20 ball half ton at the SCG and bags a 5 for with the ball

Immortality at his feet