What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Dont' Like Cricket, Oh No, I Love it, Yeah

strider

Post Whore
I'll say it now so I can't be accused of being a Monday's expert, while I wouldn't have picked him, I think S Marsh will do ok at number #6.

I reckon Handscombe might struggle against Anderson (at least for a few tests....his technique when playing balls in the channel is a bit avant garde).
You can be an expert on monday. The game doesnt start til thursday mate

Happy MEel

First Grade
I'll say it now so I can't be accused of being a Monday's expert, while I wouldn't have picked him, I think S Marsh will do ok at number #6.

I reckon Handscombe might struggle against Anderson (at least for a few tests....his technique when playing balls in the channel is a bit avant garde).
I actually tend to agree with you Barry. I reckon he is capable of a few half centuries and batting through the lower order. I feel more comfortable with him at six than Maxwell.

Eelementary

Post Whore

SMarsh is a talented players, no doubt - but he's been given a million chances, and I don't think he's the answer moving forward.

Bancroft is coming fresh off scoring a double tonne - surely he's a better option?

The last time we blooded some rookies (Renshaw, Handscomb), they did pretty well.

I'm over the same old mongs being selected time and again lol.

SMarsh is a talented players, no doubt - but he's been given a million chances, and I don't think he's the answer moving forward.

Bancroft is coming fresh off scoring a double tonne - surely he's a better option?

The last time we blooded some rookies (Renshaw, Handscomb), they did pretty well.

I'm over the same old mongs being selected time and again lol.

Bancroft is playing. It's not a choice between him and Marsh.

At number 6 you've got the following options: Marsh S, Maxwell, Lehman, Ferguson, Cartwright, maybe Kurtis PAterson, Henriques (like Cartwright, only if you want to play 5 bowlers).

Renshaw is in terrible form and to me looks like a bloke who will hang in there 40 minutes, get 5 runs and edge to the keeper. I might have been tempted to give him one more test.

We also blooded rookies like Nick Maddinson.

This is the Ashes.

I'd probably have gone with Lehmann. But I think Marsh will do ok.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
We won the women's ashes last night, not that anyone would know

they really dont get much coverage

Eelementary

Post Whore
Bancroft is playing. It's not a choice between him and Marsh.

At number 6 you've got the following options: Marsh S, Maxwell, Lehman, Ferguson, Cartwright, maybe Kurtis PAterson, Henriques (like Cartwright, only if you want to play 5 bowlers).

Renshaw is in terrible form and to me looks like a bloke who will hang in there 40 minutes, get 5 runs and edge to the keeper. I might have been tempted to give him one more test.

We also blooded rookies like Nick Maddinson.

This is the Ashes.

I'd probably have gone with Lehmann. But I think Marsh will do ok.

I guess so, mate. You certainly make some good points.

With Renshaw, I know he's struggling, but he's quality, and I don't want to see him become another Phil Hughes/Usman Khawaja (ie: in and out of the side for years).

I guess so, mate. You certainly make some good points.

With Renshaw, I know he's struggling, but he's quality, and I don't want to see him become another Phil Hughes/Usman Khawaja (ie: in and out of the side for years).

Yes, that's the hardest call. Maybe he hits a 50 and gets his confidence back, maybe he gets 2 ducks and starts second guessing everything about the way he plays.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It was on telly.

yeh I know, the only ashes game so far no doubt because it was a T20

there was some talk about this on Hack yesterday as women's sports in general get shit coverage

if CA wanted this on TV they had to pay Nine for the privilege, yet Nine pays a fortune for the mens ashes

If Renshaw’s last name was Marsh he’d be all good to go Thursday.

There are remarkable similarities in the starts to their career. Both did well in their first few tests. Then both went 9 innings without making a 50. Then both got dropped. Both presently average 36 in Test cricket. Marsh has a top score of 182, Renshaw of 184.

Renshaw averaged 35 in FC cricket, Marsh 40.

yeh I know, the only ashes game so far no doubt because it was a T20

there was some talk about this on Hack yesterday as women's sports in general get shit coverage

if CA wanted this on TV they had to pay Nine for the privilege, yet Nine pays a fortune for the mens ashes

They showed the other T20 games too.

As you know, FTA TV is not a pot of gold these days. Covering the test was going to cost Ch 9 close to 7 figures. They have shareholders to answer to. I think it good that the showed all the T20s.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
There are remarkable similarities in the starts to their career. Both did well in their first few tests. Then both went 9 innings without making a 50. Then both got dropped. Both presently average 36 in Test cricket. Marsh has a top score of 182, Renshaw of 184.

Renshaw averaged 35 in FC cricket, Marsh 40.
Renshaw will play plenty more tests than Marsh and make a lot more runs.

He deserved at least another test on his own ground IMO, especially after they continually pick a known dud like Marsh.

Renshaw will play plenty more tests than Marsh and make a lot more runs.

He deserved at least another test on his own ground IMO, especially after they continually pick a known dud like Marsh.

But its not a Marsh v Renshaw call.

It's Renshaw v Bancroft at the moment. The latter has 11 first class hundreds and 17 50s and averages 40. He deserves a shot. If Renshaw had done anything in the opening Shield games he would have been fine.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
But its not a Marsh v Renshaw call.

It's Renshaw v Bancroft at the moment. The latter has 11 first class hundreds and 17 50s and averages 40. He deserves a shot. If Renshaw had done anything in the opening Shield games he would have been fine.
Bancroft could of slotted in at 6 no problems at all.

Probably would of done a good job at shoring up a misfiring middle order.

Honestly Marsh is a dud, he’s had that many chances. His Australian form is rubbish, most of his best cricket has been played abroad. Not sure how anyone could support the selection of Marsh in any shape or form. He’s never finished a series through form or fitness.

Bancroft could of slotted in at 6 no problems at all.

Probably would of done a good job at shoring up a misfiring middle order.

Honestly Marsh is a dud, he’s had that many chances. His Australian form is rubbish, most of his best cricket has been played abroad. Not sure how anyone could support the selection of Marsh in any shape or form. He’s never finished a series through form or fitness.

Marsh averages 34.2 in Australia and 36 abroad. Not a big difference. It just so happens that he has played most of his matches abroad (23 out of 33) . In Australia he has played 7 tests against India and 1 each against NZ, SA and WI.

I just don't get whipped up into the tabloid frenzy. He has a better first class average than most of his competitors, and has maintained that over a reasonable time. He scored runs against Starc/Cummins/Hazlewood/Lyon. If you make a bad run that includes the Boxing Day and NY tests it sticks in the memory of people a lot more than when you do it elsewhere (particularly the way he got out).

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Marsh averages 34.2 in Australia and 36 abroad. Not a big difference. It just so happens that he has played most of his matches abroad (23 out of 33) . In Australia he has played 7 tests against India and 1 each against NZ, SA and WI.

I just don't get whipped up into the tabloid frenzy. He has a better first class average than most of his competitors, and has maintained that over a reasonable time. He scored runs against Starc/Cummins/Hazlewood/Lyon. If you make a bad run that includes the Boxing Day and NY tests it sticks in the memory of people a lot more than when you do it elsewhere (particularly the way he got out).
Ok Swampy O’Speedwagon.

Wow he averages 34 in Australia and is 34 after being dropped 7 times. That record just screams out just pick me.

Take out that big 100 against a club standard West Indies his record looks even worse. That wicket was also an absolute autobahn but apparently I just remember a few failures on Boxing Day and the New Year test :neutral_face:

Latest posts