What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The average age of NRL fans?

Diesel

Referee
Age of fans are loosely based on how long ago the team won a premiership.
Going by that I’m 0, as the Warriors haven’t won anything

Exsilium

First Grade
Age of fans are loosely based on how long ago the team won a premiership.
Going by that I’m 0, as the Warriors haven’t won anything

No wonder Souths fans always go on about their proud history like senile, bat shit crazy merkins.

Reminiscing about all their premierships with the same enthusiasm shown to rock and or roll back in the day.

DC_fan

Coach
I would think slightly over 40.

I think it'd be an interesting study. I suspect its data the NRL already has access to and they've considered as part of the integration with touch football and their younger fan base.

An ageing NRL supporter base population would not necessarily be unrealistic, however, given the ageing Australian population. However, if we're anywhere close to the MBL average age, that would be very concerning.

If the NRL has done a study, to my knowledge they have not publicly released any data on it. If they haven’t done a study on it yet, then it is about time they did.

Lambretta

First Grade
Its the age range who the most expensive advertising - automotive, alcohol, and gambling - is targeted at. So it’s the one most TV stations target.

Yeah, nah. I understand that people between the ages of 18 and 49 are more likely to purchase shit - but that doesn't make them an age range. I'd say there were two or three age ranges there

Unless of course you're targeting them with beer, KFC and gambling. Hmmm, carry on - 18 to 49 year olds it is

Danish

Referee
Yeah, nah. I understand that people between the ages of 18 and 49 are more likely to purchase shit - but that doesn't make them an age range. I'd say there were two or three age ranges there

Unless of course you're targeting them with beer, KFC and gambling. Hmmm, carry on - 18 to 49 year olds it is

Don’t forget the Holden’s that do mad skids

Lambretta

First Grade
Will differ by the demographics in the area surrounding the club

Roosters old panthers young

I wouldn't say the Roosters have an older demographic. I believe locality and success would be big factors too

The Roosters and Souths have both been relatively successful in recent years and would therefore have attracted younger supporters. One town teams such as the Broncos, Melbourne and the Warriors would have a fairly even spread as locals can't go and watch other teams very easily.

Yes, the Eastern Suburbs has wealthy people, but there are loads of families in the area still. They're just not working class families. You see plenty of families at Roosters games - it's just they're a bit less rusted on loyal through the hard times as some other teams would have.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I wouldn't say the Roosters have an older demographic. I believe locality and success would be big factors too

The Roosters and Souths have both been relatively successful in recent years and would therefore have attracted younger supporters. One town teams such as the Broncos, Melbourne and the Warriors would have a fairly even spread as locals can't go and watch other teams very easily.

Yes, the Eastern Suburbs has wealthy people, but there are loads of families in the area still. They're just not working class families. You see plenty of families at Roosters games - it's just they're a bit less rusted on loyal through the hard times as some other teams would have.

U surely dont think punters from the eastern suburbs really give a f**k about the roosters?

Bronco18

Juniors
I was reading an interesting article to day on the MLB (Baseball) in America. The article was asking where is the game headed to in the US. I found very interesting a couple of points brought up and if they have a possible relationship with rugby league and the NRL.

Firstly, the average age of a MLB fan is 57. Which got me wondering what the average age of an NRL fan would be. I am not sure research has been done on this. If anyone has any information on this, it would be appreciated. Obviously the older your support base is the greater concern for the future of the sport.

Secondly, MLB games have a bad habit of going about 3 hours in length, which seems to alienate the sport from younger Americans, with near 66 percent of 18-36 year olds saying they do not follow the sport. Supposedly the younger generation have a short attention sport. I remember a time when a league game would go 90-95 minutes. For a few years now that has extended out to between 110-120 minutes. That extra 20-25 minutes of time is not extra playing time, it comes from an extended halftime break, and stoppages during the game which usually come from tries being sent to the bunker. Maybe this is one area of the game the NRL should look at.

Good thread.

In the internet and gaming age, I feel less and less young people will get into sport. A study would definately be an interesting read, but if it had negative results I can't see this administration publishing it.

DC_fan

Coach
Good thread.

In the internet and gaming age, I feel less and less young people will get into sport. A study would definately be an interesting read, but if it had negative results I can't see this administration publishing it.

It would be a very interesting study to take. It just may bring a result that would be disturbing to not only to the NRL, but all sports in general.