What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bachelor 'How To' Thread

Bulldog Force

Referee
And a shit tonne of carbs! :lol:

Nice

You're only having 1 serving of the Jasmine rice lol. It's quick, easy and hearty. Perfect winter meal... but it's worth showing a chick what you can whip up anytime of the year.

That my friend, it bro-code in 100% action :)

Bazal

Post Whore
Not sure if it's been mentioned but you can get slow cookers that are also rice cookers and steamers and shit. Very useful.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Not sure if it's been mentioned but you can get slow cookers that are also rice cookers and steamers and shit. Very useful.

Might be something to invest in. Sharing a flat with three others, so will see what they bring to the party.

Misanthrope

Staff member
The college is running a fortnightly 'Rez Recipes' cooking class to teach us really basic recipes that can be done on a budget.

First 'class' was today. We used one of those microwavable pasta packets (I had Mac & Cheese) and, halfway through the cooking process, stirred in some diced ham and fresh veggies. I tossed in cherry tomatoes, mushroom, and spinach leaves.

It's remarkable what that simple addition does to turn it into a far more appealing, flavourful meal.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
*Jasmine Rice serving (preferably microwavable from Coles).
*Thai style noodles (also from Coles)
*Laksa cuppa soup (yep - Coles).

Basically, heat the Jasmine rice up in the Microwave, then mash it into a bed-of-rice on a deep-dish plate or bowl.
Add boiling water to the noodles. Drain the water when ready, then put the noodles on the rice.
Add boiling water to the Laksa cuppa soul, then pour the contents on the rice and noodles.

Bang... for under $10 you've got yourself a filling Thai meal.

Nice and easy!

Good lord that sounds awful

Cooking is honestly one of the easiest things in the world to do. It is literally following instructions.

Start with some basic staples of various cuisine. Here is a very easy base.

Daal.

Whatever beans/split peas you like. Canned is easier because there is slightly less work involved but there is a slight increase in cost. Its still pretty cheap
3TB of a high smoke point oil. I like sunflower.
1tsp of mustard seeds
1tsp of cumin seeds
1 onion chopped however you like
1/2 tsp of tumeric (i would go a tsp but i quite like my food to be orange)
salt and pepper.

If you are using dry beans soak them overnight and then cook them. If using canned beans give them a bit of a soak in hot water. Lentils especially have a weird goo on them.

In the skillet or thick base pot get the oil quite hot and throw in the mustard seeds. They will pop like crazy so watch out for flying seeds. Maybe a splash guard. If you don't have a splash guard do it the pussy way which is adding the mustard seeds just before the oil sizzles and wait out the popping. When the popping stops take the pot off heat for a bit and add the cumin. Add coriander seeds if you like but I hate them so I give it a miss. When the cumin stops popping chuck in the onion and tumeric.

Cook the onion until its both orange (from the tumeric) and soft then throw in the beans.

Ok so thats the basic dish.

I include a tin of canned tomatoes and some minced garlic. Some people like to add some greens like kale or peas.

Bazal

Post Whore
The college is running a fortnightly 'Rez Recipes' cooking class to teach us really basic recipes that can be done on a budget.

First 'class' was today. We used one of those microwavable pasta packets (I had Mac & Cheese) and, halfway through the cooking process, stirred in some diced ham and fresh veggies. I tossed in cherry tomatoes, mushroom, and spinach leaves.

It's remarkable what that simple addition does to turn it into a far more appealing, flavourful meal.

Pretty much. The old mi Goreng noodles with some shredded chicken, spinach, and a chopped boiled egg make for a pretty handy bachelor snack. Or for a healthier meal, use dried noodles from the Asian section, thick soy, a splash of chicken stock, shredded chicken.or Amy leftover meat, shallots, chilli and greens of your choice. Can make it into a noodle soup just by adding more chicken stock.

BFs idea sounds truly godawful. If you're that desperate, supermarkets aactually sell premade Thai curry sauces in a can (Valcom brand) that are legitimately quite nice for a quick option.

Cut up 1kg of potatoes then boil them. Put in an oven tray and pour over a pasta sauce. Put in it in oven for 20 mins. Also top with cheese if you can afford it.

Another option you have since Coffs is a holiday town is to turn up at hotels in the morning and eat the buffet breakfasts

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Depending on how much room you have a rice cooker is handy because it removes one less thing you need to do while cooking.

I cook rice almost every day and it makes my life slightly easier.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I really do need to get a rice cooker. I owned one in South Korea and it got daily use.

Of course, it was far easier to get a good selection of tasty sides/mix-ins there. God, I miss Korean food.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
If your place doesn't have a proper exhaust fan over the stovetop be prepared to be annoyed when cooking anything spicey.

As an aside I buy chillies in huge amounts and just hang them up to dry them out. Sydney I can get away with that because the humidity isn't too bad.

Misanthrope

Staff member
If your place doesn't have a proper exhaust fan over the stovetop be prepared to be annoyed when cooking anything spicey.

As an aside I buy chillies in huge amounts and just hang them up to dry them out. Sydney I can get away with that because the humidity isn't too bad.

Cooking here is a bit of a nightmare in that regard. Triggering a fire alarm is an $1100 fine. The exhaust fan and stovetop fan are pretty shit.

t-ba

Post Whore
I'll agree with rice cookers. Good for boiling veggies and making stews as well.

I'd live off of Indomie if I could (The variety here is ridonkulous and they are literally the best instant noodles on the planet), but they're basically poison.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The absolute most important thing to buy is a decent chefs knife and to keep it sharp. Doesn't have to cost a fortune but a good sharp knife will make things so much easier.