What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The bench warmers

Como Connection

First Grade
Well CC I am also a big Mann fan but more game time?
20 minutes instead of 5 minutes?
The guys should be in the starting line up.
I am also situated in Athens BTW.
Im staying at the Hotel Attalos next to Monastiraki Station until Tuesday morning when off to Crete.
Be great to catch up if possible Dennis.
CC

Im staying at the Hotel Attalos next to Monastiraki Station until Tuesday morning when off to Crete.
Be great to catch up if possible Dennis.
CC
Hi there CC - Tonight is tough otherwise would love to.
Maybe when you get back from Crete with a little more notice.
Hope you have a great trip and Kalo Pacha!

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
A few thoughts re: Mann.

1. He should be in the starting side.

2. I wonder how long it'll be before he cracks the shits for not getting nearly enough game time? McGregpr's treatment towards him has been shocking.

3. Putting Mann on the wing - even though he's demonstrated he can play there - is a waste of his talents. In an ideal world, he would be in the halves, but in order to do this, he'll have to go to another club.

Como Connection

First Grade

2. I wonder how long it'll be before he cracks the shits for not getting nearly enough game time? McGregpr's treatment towards him has been shocking.

3. Putting Mann on the wing - even though he's demonstrated he can play there - is a waste of his talents. In an ideal world, he would be in the halves, but in order to do this, he'll have to go to another club.
Agree
Not wasted on the wing but better with the ball in his hands as much as possible.
CC

RufusRex

Post Whore
Proved in 2016 Head To Head he was a better winger than nightingale ...

Now he has added a lot more starch to his running game ... could easily take that right wing and make more of a fist of it than Nightingale.

giboz71

First Grade

Mann was off contract last year and if he really is a bona fide half, someone would have signed him to play there. No one did, so he re-signed with us.

Agree he should be in the team (at wing or centre), but he should be nowhere near the halves. He was hardly a world beater there last year although he was an improvement on McCrone.

Hunt and Widdop have shown in 4 games what a proper halves combination looks like.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Mann was off contract last year and if he really is a bona fide half, someone would have signed him to play there. No one did, so he re-signed with us.

Agree he should be in the team (at wing or centre), but he should be nowhere near the halves. He was hardly a world beater there last year although he was an improvement on McCrone.

Hunt and Widdop have shown in 4 games what a proper halves combination looks like.

A few things:

1. last year, Mann was given a shot at halfback - he isn't no. 7, this is why I wanted Mann at five-eighth with Widdop at half.

2. Mann has played plenty of five-eighth while playing for Melbourne's feeder side in the Qld Cup (from all accounts, he excelled).

3. Phil Gould has publicly stated that Mann is a five-eighth - his opinion is good enough for me.

giboz71

First Grade
A few things:

1. last year, Mann was given a shot at halfback - he isn't no. 7, this is why I wanted Mann at five-eighth with Widdop at half.

2. Mann has played plenty of five-eighth while playing for Melbourne's feeder side in the Qld Cup (from all accounts, he excelled).

3. Phil Gould has publicly stated that Mann is a five-eighth - his opinion is good enough for me.

1. Widdop is signed for the next 4 years and Mann knew that when he re-signed with us. He knew he wouldn’t play 5/8. (nor half, seeing we also have Ben Hunt)

2. Qld Cup is very different to FG as he found our last year.

3. I don’t agree with everything Phil Gould says. He believes in this rubbish of “managing the game” and letting sides like the Storm and Sharks ruin a good spectacle. Gould can be wrong as much as anyone.

Mann could possibly be a decent 5/8 and I agree he’ll have to go elsewhere to find out. But if we want to win a comp, Hunt and Widdop will be our halves.

By all means, Mann could slot into Center or wing and definitely improve us however.

SBD82

Coach
1. Widdop is signed for the next 4 years and Mann knew that when he re-signed with us. He knew he wouldn’t play 5/8. (nor half, seeing we also have Ben Hunt)

2. Qld Cup is very different to FG as he found our last year.

3. I don’t agree with everything Phil Gould says. He believes in this rubbish of “managing the game” and letting sides like the Storm and Sharks ruin a good spectacle. Gould can be wrong as much as anyone.

Mann could possibly be a decent 5/8 and I agree he’ll have to go elsewhere to find out. But if we want to win a comp, Hunt and Widdop will be our halves.

By all means, Mann could slot into Center or wing and definitely improve us however.
I'm an unashamed Mann fan, and at the start of the year I was really hoping that he would be in the starting side.

But now, I'm starting to really enjoy the role that Mann has been playing. It's very similar to the role that QLD have used over the years with cronk, Morgan and Milford playing off the bench.

He's contributing to games in a way that is really suited to his ability. Hopefully it continues to work for us.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Last year the way we played there was no difference between 6/7 except for the side of the field they played on .. Dugan at 1 also meant that or 6 or 7 had to do everything .... Was too much for McCrone/Mann to handle and difficult for

This year though it is different with 6/7 regularly linking .. I think in that situation with one or two of widdop/hunt/dufty around then Mann could actually go ok at either 6/7 ....

When he plays now he is getting his hand no the ball before the others so playing closer to a 7 than a 6 now anyway.

Different structure makes a huge difference.

SBD82

Coach
Last year the way we played there was no difference between 6/7 except for the side of the field they played on .. Dugan at 1 also meant that or 6 or 7 had to do everything .... Was too much for McCrone/Mann to handle and difficult for

This year though it is different with 6/7 regularly linking .. I think in that situation with one or two of widdop/hunt/dufty around then Mann could actually go ok at either 6/7 ....

When he plays now he is getting his hand no the ball before the others so playing closer to a 7 than a 6 now anyway.

Different structure makes a huge difference.
Absolutely. Having the extra playmakers is taking the pressure off all of them. Defending teams can't afford to focus on widdop, because they leave hunt to do his thing. If they rush hunt, he can step and run or give quick ball and dufty's speed will burn them. It's a real pleasure to see actual attack with options.

Latest posts