The biggest example of why Mary cannot coach

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by RufusRex, Jul 29, 2018.

1. possm

possm First Grade

Both should be playing in the middle third. K Sims is coming and Frizell will complete the rotation. I think we should open with Vaughan and Frizell with Graham and Sims as our bench props.

Now that this is settled, lets solve the backline problems.

2. Coffs dragon

Coffs dragon Juniors

I don't think we need any further examples of why Mary can't coach! Surely 4 years of the same slippery slide mediocrity is Bigger than the total sum.

18to87, blacksafake and sco22 like this.
  3. possm

possm First Grade

Frizell loves to run back into the middle third and is very damaging in his work however, we need our right edge forward to be agile in defence and hitting the smaller defenders out wide in attack.

4. gitano

gitano Juniors

you don't know football.
    G

5. BLM01

BLM01 Juniors

The biggest 3 examples I see
    1. the coach, his staff and players get to review each game in detail and as he said in his presser are all honest with each other but still cant see how or where we have dropped off since the early rounds. Changes in general play and yes maybe personnel are needed and we are really leaking easy tries.
    2. Their 16 point buffer for maximum points conceded as standards set has now long been shot to pieces except for 3 games since round 9. Why the hell tell the players you have set a standard at 16, that means you got to score 17 and we are no guarantee at that, why not keep it to yourself and coach towards 0 points conceded.
    3. When we win, Mary sees us as good enough and can beat anyone, everything is OK with the squad he has finally got and wished for, for us every win is great too.
    But the drums are beating with the defensive and attacking team form slump eminating in every win since the Melb Round 9 game. We have won since then on the back of more individual brilliance than team performance.Case in point Canberra, Dogs, Parra, Manly & Cowboys are our 5 wins since Round 9. 5 out of 10 wins. Now how are we really travelling.?

I honestly think every player is trying his guts out?..every game. But trying to solve it on their own.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    ChargingPatJarvis and getsmarty like this.
  6. BennyV

BennyV Coach

Yeah, but the point of the thread is to point out a massive flaw in the coach/coaching staff, and hint that if we were to upgrade these, wed get a better outcome by seeing affix (and others) reach maximum potential.

getsmarty likes this.
  7. RufusRex

RufusRex Immortal

Your man Aitken is making you look more and more a fool every week … The most selfish non team player i have seen in years of following the dragons.

blacksafake and Frank Facer like this.
  8. Dragon Blood

Dragon Blood Juniors

PSML Aitcant is no where near a centres arshole let a NSW jumper. Should have been playing ISP weeks ago if I was coaching

9. hazzbeen

hazzbeen Bench

All he is a strong runner of the ball that is it nothing more .....

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  10. VodkaSaint

VodkaSaint Juniors

you talk about mindset, well let me tell you that starts on the training paddock, doesnt look like we trained to lock up the ball in the tackles thats for sure .
    The only mindset I see is Mary should go

11. Life's Good

Life's Good Coach

FD7E6AB9-EC16-4691-8E15-140ADC07158E.jpeg

Country Dragon and blacksafake like this.
  12. Gippsy

Gippsy Bench

I dunno. I think picking a winger on the bench and playing him as a forward is probably a better example.

13. Forster Dragon

Forster Dragon Juniors

We really do need changes but our useless coach and his staff failed to prepare players for the step up to NRL
    This has been a serious flaw for the past 3 years and they have not learned a thing from past errors.Seriously dumb.

14. Frank Facer

Frank Facer Bench

Gitano must have thought he was looking like a genius and a prophet after about 9 weeks of the comp or so. lol

15. Frank Facer

Frank Facer Bench

I think the biggest example of why Mary cannot coach is his continued selection of Aitken, Nightingale and Lafai. I would also add his continued selection of Mcrone and his continued selection of Lafai in 2016. Mary's inability to be able to select the right side is a monumental flaw.

Nightingale should never have even been considered for first grade this year. He should have been tapped on the shoulder last year and told that he wouldn't be playing first grade this year.

Aitken was a forward in his juniors who has failed to develop his game at centre. He handicaps our attack, as he doesn't have the ability to set up his winger. He also only scores from close range.

Lafai is too slow. We can do a lot better than Lafai.

I will also add playing Mann in the forwards of the bench ahead of players such as Lucky or Host is another example of why Mary cannot coach. I sure I could remember many others if I took the time to think about them.

Country Dragon and blacksafake like this.
  16. 2010

2010 Juniors

It is very hard to get dropped from our first grade team. So therefore it is nearly impossible to get a run in first grade from the ISP.
    Other teams promote their ISP players to first grade. So why don’t we. Simple other teams have coaches, we obviously don’t

17. ouryears

ouryears Juniors

Mary was shocked yesterday when he was told we have an ISP team
    I heard him say....”really, no...no way”

18. Bests Golden Boots

Bests Golden Boots Juniors

I always thought the biggest example of why Mary cannot coach was our results over the last 4 years.

dannyt and blacksafake like this.
  19. Forster Dragon

Forster Dragon Juniors

His biggest problem is that he cannot adapt to change and will not learn from past errors.
    One dumb sucker.

dannyt and blacksafake like this.
  20. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

Mrs muzby asked me yesterday why the same thing happens every year - we start strong and then fall away..

My explanation back to her is that we come out with a particular type of game plan which the other teams can’t match.. but once they figure out how to beat us (eg this year just beat up our forwards , give away momentum killing penalties) we don’t pull out plan b.

Because there is no plan b

2010Dragons likes this.