What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Black Hole

shiznit

Coach
image.jpg

I thought after raider bombing nearly every thread in here it was about time I created something for the Raiders.

I don't know how active I'll be with it... But any Raiders specific news I come across I'll post it in here... If someone else comes across something please feel free to put it up...

Everyone is welcome in the black hole...​

shiznit

Coach
image.jpg

Derek Carr excited to run Raiders' new no-huddle offense

For most NFL rookies, the game is played at a dramatically increased paced. That wasn’t the case for Oakland Raiders quarterback Derek Carr last season.

"Sometimes, the games were really slow for me," Carr said Tuesday. "It was almost like I was waiting for it to speed up."

This shouldn’t be an issue for Carr in his second NFL season. Under new offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave, the Raiders will install a no-huddle offense. The change makes sense. Musgrave was the quarterbacks coach in in Philadelphia in 2014 under the guidance of Chip Kelly, who is known for running an extremely fast-paced offensive attack.

Musgrave is clearly mixing his Eagles' experience and Carr’s past with this approach.

"My last two years at Fresno State were 100 percent no-huddle, and I love it. I’m very comfortable in it," Carr said. "They are building this offense around me, and I’m really excited about it. I lit up when they told me."

Carr said the plan is still in its infant stages, and he is unsure of exactly how much the Raiders will use the no-huddle attack. It will be designed and developed in the offseason sessions and in training camp. But Carr said he expects it to be "more than average."

There were times in 2014 when Carr, who was taken with the No. 36 overall pick in the second round and was the only rookie quarterback to start every game, ran the no-huddle -- especially when Oakland was down by multiple scores.

Yet, this season’s approach will be different.

"We want to play fast," Carr said. "We want to put pressure on the defense. We want to go 100 miles per hour and cause confusion for the defense. It can be a lot of fun."

Carr said the biggest challenge in minicamps and training camps will be working up the conditioning level of the entire offense. He said there will be games when the Raiders will run 20-40 more offensive plays than a normal offense. He said it will be a challenge for "the big guys."

"What we want to do is be able to be conditioned so we can take advantage in the fourth quarter," Carr said. "That’s what our goal was in college, and it worked really well for us. When the game is on the line, we want to be the team that is being able to run and controlling the game by pushing the tempo."

Carr also said he thinks the presence of the no-huddle will make him a better run threat. He said defenses could be off balance and unprepared for him to run. Carr had 92 rushing yards on 29 carries as a rookie. He said, depending on the game situation, he could run up to eight times in a game by using the no-huddle.

Carr is looking forward to getting the plan implemented in meeting rooms and on the practice field. He also plans to organize his own session with the offense during a dead time to get more acclimated to the new approach.

"We’re not going to be all no-huddle, but it is going to be a big part of what we do," he said. "And I’m really excited with the coaches plans."

From: http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=oakland-raiders&id=9344

Last edited:
had to throw that out there before posting....awesome thread, I have to change my McFadden picture soon haha. I haven't had a good track record, this replaced my Michael Bush one :p I still think he was a great RB though. Maybe I should do a tribute picture to the great RB's of our past like Lamont Jordan, Amos Zereoue and Justin Fargas.

As for Carr and the No huddle. It will be interesting to see, I'm excited about it. Get him some weapons, let's see what this kid can do!

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
had to throw that out there before posting....awesome thread, I have to change my McFadden picture soon haha. I haven't had a good track record, this replaced my Michael Bush one :p I still think he was a great RB though. Maybe I should do a tribute picture to the great RB's of our past like Lamont Jordan, Amos Zereoue and Justin Fargas.

As for Carr and the No huddle. It will be interesting to see, I'm excited about it. Get him some weapons, let's see what this kid can do!
Yeah I had DMC in my sig too... :lol:

The no huddle thing is interesting... I honestly think that it would be unrealistic to expect us to be running like Philly... As I have real doubts that Bill Musgrave was the driver of the no huddle in his time in Philly... That was always Chips system...

Perhaps Musgrave can relate to Carr as the QB trying to run the system... Because he was the QB coach in Chips system... But I'm not sure how he will integrate the Running game, TE and Receivers into it...

As you said... We need to give the kid some weapons...

Last edited:

Eddie.

Bench
I have been a Raiders fan all my life.

They border on irrelevance these days. It's really quite sad. What is it 12 straight seasons without playoffs. One year they went 8-8 yet they sacked Hue Jackson.

They bought in Reggie Mckenzie as GM and he bought a heap of rubbish in like Matt Flynn, Matt Schwabb, and Jones-Drew. Expensive veterans as desperation. He should be out. Now he has hired Jack Del Rio hardly an inspired selection I reckon.

The young QB looks a very decent prospect. However will be ever get to level he could have at the Raiders.

There is no light at the end of the tunnel it seems.

shiznit

Coach
I have been a Raiders fan all my life.

They border on irrelevance these days. It's really quite sad. What is it 12 straight seasons without playoffs. One year they went 8-8 yet they sacked Hue Jackson.

They bought in Reggie Mckenzie as GM and he bought a heap of rubbish in like Matt Flynn, Matt Schwabb, and Jones-Drew. Expensive veterans as desperation. He should be out. Now he has hired Jack Del Rio hardly an inspired selection I reckon.

The young QB looks a very decent prospect. However will be ever get to level he could have at the Raiders.

There is no light at the end of the tunnel it seems.
I agree with most of what you said.... The franchise has given us the fans plenty of ammunition to be skeptical about the direction we are headed.

And I also agree that Reggie should have been held accountable for his atrocious mistakes in FA & in hiring Dennis Allen...

I think he's been saved primarily by his last few draft classes... Especially the last one. Derek Carr, Khalil Mack, Justin Ellis, TJ Carrie, Gabe Jackson have all come in and contributed from the word go.... Add in previous draft picks of his which are starting to come good in Sio Moore, DJ Hayden, Latavius Murray, Mychal Rivera we are starting to build a young foundation...

Then when you also consider the mess that the cap was in when Reggie took over and now we have the most cap space in the league with nearly no dead money I can see why Mark Davis has decided to give him one more chance...

I think there is good reason to be optimistic this offseason.... But that can be shattered by another shit free agency...

DC_fan

Coach
I have nothing against the Raiders so I wish them the best of luck in 2015. They just might play the Cowboys in Super Bowl 50.

shiznit

Coach
I have nothing against the Raiders so I wish them the best of luck in 2015. They just might play the Cowboys in Super Bowl 50.
:lol:
A Super Bowl 50 appearance would be very nice...

But I think we're gonna be flat out having a waning record next season... :lol:

I've got a bit of a soft spot for the Raiders. They're fairly harmless and good for a laugh. I was a bit of an NWA fan in the day as well.

The Black Hole needs a few pics of that munter Davis and his red-headed man-gina.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I too have a soft spot for the Raiders.

Despite being shit for a decade, they still have a certain glamour to them.

And they have hands down the best merchandise. Wish I started supporting them just so I could buy it lol.

shiznit

Coach
Yeah... As i stated in the other thread it could end up causing the Raiders or the Chargers to change conferences...

shiznit

Coach
Here's a draft related question for Raiders fans...

I don't expect either of them to be available but you never know...

If Dorial Green-Beckham & Todd Gurley are both still on the board when the Raiders are picking at #4 in the 2nd round...

Who do you go for??

Assuming we get Amari Cooper or Kevin White in the first round...

Last edited:

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Dorial he has stud written all over him, but you won't have to worry, he won't make it past the Colts, 49ers, Hawks, Patriots.

It would take a big drop for both of them to drop, id assume the Jags would take Todd.

shiznit

Coach
I just did a mock draft on the fanspeak.com simulator... Check this one...

1st Round: WR Amari Cooper
2nd Round: WR Dorial Green-Beckham
3rd Round: RB Todd Gurley
4th Round: OT Cedric Ogbuehi
The rest I wasn't sure about and basically went with need and whoever was highest in the bigboard...

5th Round: CB Steven Nelson
6th Round: DE Deion Barnes
7th Round: S Dean Marlowe

If Reggie managed to come away with that draft class he would be welcomed back with a parade!! :lol:

Latest posts