What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bulls speaks out

Slippery Morris

First Grade
It's probably old news to you but here goes :-

Bull takes charge in final Dragons foray

By Tom Findlay
December 4, 2005

Advertisement Advertisement

Luke "Bull" Bailey wants nothing more than to leave the Dragons with a premiership. But he will have to do it without the man who has been there for him for most of his career.

Bailey has been in Queensland with his family for most of the off-season, looking at property for when he relocates there next year.

Back home, his former teammate and mentor Lance Thompson has been embroiled in a controversy that culminated during the week in the veteran second-rower signing with the Sharks after coming to an agreement to terminate his contract with the Dragons.

"It is disappointing from my point of view," Bailey said. "Lance was one of the senior guys who was always there for you and he was good with advice. It is especially disappointing for the young guys coming in to miss out on a player of his experience.

"I've kept in touch with what went on and it is disappointing what has happened. But Lance seems to be really hungry to get stuck in with the Sharks, and that's good."

Bailey says signing with the Gold Coast has given him a new lease of life but he has some long overdue business to attend to first.

"Definitely the premiership," Bailey said. "That's the final thing I have to achieve with the Dragons, I would love to leave on a winning note. It would be hard but I'd love to have that feeling.

"It's not just me leaving and we know it's our last chance with this playing group."

The star prop was convinced the Dragons would finally win a premiership this year. They had the team, the depth and the momentum.

It was a shattered side that trudged off Telstra Stadium after the Dragons' eight-point preliminary final loss to the Tigers.

That night, Bailey felt the impact of the defeat more than most - the 25-year-old Shellharbour Sharks junior has been at the Dragons since he was 11.

He will move to the Gold Coast next November to begin a three-year term with the new Queensland franchise, and knows time is running out for a premiership with the Dragons.

"Last year I believed it was our time and after the loss to the Tigers we went through a difficult period," he said. "But life goes on and we start again next year. We have to put that behind us."

The Preacher

First Grade
Slippery Morris said:

"It's not just me leaving and we know it's our last chance with this playing group."

."

How true is the above. I think there will be a 3-4 yr. drop in performance levels. I'm not saying we wont be competitive but I think it is our last chance for a few years.
icon9.gif

Still, it wont stop me going to every game possible.
icon12.gif