What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bunker

Diesel

Coach
we're going to the Bunker to any reason not to give a try

Warriors screwed twice today by incompetent refeering

As bad as the first one was, the final pass was about 7m forward, should have never been sent the bunker to begin with.

The second was a classic shepherd that Woods milked for all it was worth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We've just got to accept the game has been screwed for ever more by the introduction of the video ref, it's never going now it's here so just be glad, if you're old enough, you can remember a time when watching the game was enjoyable without the bunker or refs with no balls.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Oh wow.

Just saw the 'obstruction' that disallowed that amazing try for the Warriors on half time.

That was even worse than when the Roosters and Jake Friend were robbed of a great try up on the Gold Coast for a dud shepherd call.

That. Was. Disgraceful.

Perhaps the worst call of the year given that it robbed everyone of an amazing try.

f**k the bunker. And f**k Todd Greenberg for standing idly by and doing nothing as usual.

Oh wow.

Just saw the 'obstruction' that disallowed that amazing try for the Warriors on half time.

That was even worse than when the Roosters and Jake Friend were robbed of a great try up on the Gold Coast for a dud shepherd call.

That. Was. Disgraceful.

Perhaps the worst call of the year given that it robbed everyone of an amazing try.

f**k the bunker. And f**k Todd Greenberg for standing idly by and doing nothing as usual.

Let's just forget the fact the last ball was about 5m forward shall we? There is no way the Warriors can feel hard done by with that not being given. Sure they had to find a bs obstruction but it would have been a bigger injustice had the try been given.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
why dont they just let the bunker rule on forward passes,,

and get some better technology to track the trajectory of the ball from hand ?????

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
and it wasnt 7m forward... it would almost be impossible for the human wrist to throw a torpedo ball 7m forward... with your hips in a parrallel stance,,,

why do you all think the NFL quarterbacks throw over the shoulder...

POPEYE

Coach
why can't the bunker rule on forward passes now?

they're quite happy to rule on offsides which is the same thing.
Because the speed a player is running has nothing to do with offside and determining if every ball was released backwards would take forever

Card Shark

Immortal
why can't the bunker rule on forward passes now?

they're quite happy to rule on offsides which is the same thing.

Been down this road before & it was a shamble, as most video ref things are. More over analysing...

Your forward pass may not be a forward pass to me.

Evil_Mush

Juniors
As a Warriors fan I had just assumed they had already called that pass as forward so when I saw them go to the bunker I already knew they'd scour through the 20 odd passes beforehand to find any little thing to disallow the try.
So shouldn't have been a try or gone to video in first place but a mockery of the constantly morphing obstruction rules.

And while I agree the whole running behind your player thing is a basic enough rule, the fact they rarely actually call it when it does happen is what makes the times they do call it so immensely frustrating.
And for the Warriors we had that exact situation go against us as defenders a few weeks ago when Johnson was ruled as "initiating contact" on the defender that prevented him tackling the ball holder and the other team got the green light / chicken drumstick for the try.

Meth

Staff member
Let's just forget the fact the last ball was about 5m forward shall we? There is no way the Warriors can feel hard done by with that not being given. Sure they had to find a bs obstruction but it would have been a bigger injustice had the try been given.

I don't think that the try should have been denied for the "obstruction", but for the forward pass. I honestly believe the bunker were looking for any possible reason to deny the try on a 50/50 to prevent a try being awarded on a farcically forward pass that they couldn't rule on.

big hit!

Bench

but that wasn't the reason the try wasn't awarded.

it shits me how refs allow play to continue when there are obvious infringements on the try scoring play.

i was once of the belief that the video should only be used for grounding, but even that is stuffed these days the way the bunker tries to slow everything down and look for a fingernail touching the ball to not award a try.

there are two x refs and two x line judges officiating each match. their positioning needs to be better as a unit to be able to make decisions. f**k, 60 year olds refs in the NFL are in the correct position most of the time to make the right decision. how can't our refs who spend their week doing a heap of fitness training not be able to be in the right position any of the time??

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
If nothing else the SJ one they've been consistent on the whole year, if you catch the ball on the inside shoulder of the decoy you're going to get called. Woods had no chance of making the tackle, and milked it for all it was worth, but that's the one area they've been pretty consistent all year.

The first one is very concerning no matter which way you look at it. Either they denied a try because of the forward pass or they actually believed that the defender was prevented from making a tackle he was never going to make.

Either way it's concerning because it shows those in the bunker really don't have a clue or they're making things up just to get the "right" outcome. That's a pretty dangerous thing heading into the finals.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Was it ruled 'no try' because of the forward pass? If not then I fail to see how that's relevant.

I understand that it should have been ruled a forwar pass and not even gone upstairs. But it did go upstairs and they ruled 'no try' on the basis of the most ridiculous obstruction call you'll ever see.