What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The cap fits: Illawarra Mercury

God-King Dean

Immortal
The cap fits
By PAUL SUTTOR
March 4, 2005

http://www.illawarramercury.com/articles/2005/03/04/1109700639790.html

THE National Rugby League's proposed salary cap overhaul could mean mixed fortunes for the Dragons.

While they may end up with cash to chase a high-profile recruit, star prop Luke Bailey could be targeted by rival clubs.

St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust was one of the driving forces behind the new scheme, where two players from each team can supplement their income via sponsorships from club sponsors.

The clubs will vote on whether to adopt the plan next Friday.

When asked if he thought it would be approved, an adamant Doust said: "Yes. I think there's a willingness from the NRL and a majority of the clubs to say it can work because they can see there are benefits for the game."

Due to their star-studded roster, the Dragons have had to release several players in recent years because they could not make them a competitive offer and stay under their $3.25million wages limit.

Doust said that even though there was a long way to go before they could calculate sums for next year, the red-and-whites might be able to pursue a big-name player for the first time since the joint venture club was formed in 1999.

The season doesn't start for another week but already there has been major speculation about player signings, headed by Penrith internationals Craig Gower and Tony Puletua, and Bulldogs trio Willie Mason, Braith Anasta and Sonny Bill Williams - a player the Dragons chased two years ago before he was the game's hottest property.

But the flip side of the equation is that Kangaroos prop Bailey, who is St George Illawarra's most notable free agent at season's end, could be offered big dollars to leave by a rival club keen to make him one of its two "sponsorship friendly" marquee players.

"You could argue that this is enhancing the talent equalisation process because it will allow clubs to have less chance of keeping their one and two marquee players from other clubs," Doust said.

Doust said the revamped salary cap would mean businesses which already sponsor a club wouldn't be disadvantaged if they wanted to use a player from that team in an endorsement role.

"I've had circumstances where existing sponsors of our club may have been interested in developing a promotional delivery with a player but I couldn't support it," he said. "It's about trying to keep pace with what's happening in the sporting world in relation to returns for intellectual property."

Doust warned that claims of player salaries skyrocketing under the proposal weren't necessarily accurate because sponsors already had considerable use of players and their images for promotions.

"Every player has a name and a signature and they want to attract returns for those properties," he said.

"If it keeps a player in the game longer and a player in a club longer, and gives them a reasonable return for a short lifespan in the game, that's in the interests of everybody."

Dakink

Bench
I would never swap Bailey for anyone - He has the biggest heart out of any forward I have seen for a while.... Ill never forget him in a game chsing down an outside back over 50 metres just because he had too. He never seems to stop, no matter how talented SBW is, gimme Bails anytime..

God-King Dean

Immortal
Ill never forget him in a game chsing down an outside back over 50 metres just because he had too

He's done that a number of times, but I think the one you are referring to is against Broncos at WIN in 2003. He kept up with as well

God-King Dean

Immortal
He did it this year as well when Moodie made a break up the sideline, making an ankle tap. The man is a freak, no doubt

G

gorilla

There's a couple of forwards I'd swap for SBW but Bailey, Ryles and Sims are the last three choices if I had to swap a forward.

Collateral

Coach
In all seriousness though I dont think there is any way the Dragons will let Bailey go...He from Illawarra, his best mate is Matt Cooper and he hasnt played for another club his whole career.

Craig Fitzgibbon was from Illawarra.

The real question is why is the club not actively campaigning for junior dispensation? It's been talked about for years yet no action. It's obviously being blocked by Politis and co. And now instead of implementing something so simple and which makes so much sense they come up with this backward idea clearly designed for the sole benefit of the rich clubs.

Jabs

Juniors
If this proposal goes ahead, Barrett better not be one of the two players.
He gets enough as it is.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Daithi O'Conaill said:
Craig Fitzgibbon was from Illawarra.

The real question is why is the club not actively campaigning for junior dispensation? It's been talked about for years yet no action. It's obviously being blocked by Politis and co. And now instead of implementing something so simple and which makes so much sense they come up with this backward idea clearly designed for the sole benefit of the rich clubs.

Exactly.

Accoring to the latest Red Vee Magazine (great article MC, by the way!!), Peter Doust claims that the club as "considerable influence". Surely this would be used to press home a claim like the above...

Nah, thought not.

Bubblystarz14

Juniors
Hmm i like Bailey... I reckon sims is stronger than bailey and ryles get injured alot.. but 3 of them together is awesome

thommo4pm

Coach
Jabs said:
He gets enough as it is.

Are you serious, I would want Barrett to be one of the 2 players.
Think about it, if he is paid by sponsors alone, for the same as what he is on now, then that free's up a major part of our cap to either keep some of our players coming off contract or go and buy another couple of players.

Barrett is estimated at around $350K - $400K, that's a fair portion of our cap.

Jamesy

Juniors
That's a good thommo, if we can get sponsors to pay Trent a fair bit of money, the Dragons can pay him less and free up some of the cap. I like this idea, although like many ideas the NRL come up with, it only benefits the bigger clubs, not the strugglers. #-o

Southernsaint

Staff member
thommo4pm said:
Jabs said:
He gets enough as it is.

Are you serious, I would want Barrett to be one of the 2 players.
Think about it, if he is paid by sponsors alone, for the same as what he is on now, then that free's up a major part of our cap to either keep some of our players coming off contract or go and buy another couple of players.

Barrett is estimated at around $350K - $400K, that's a fair portion of our cap.

I think the way it is going to work is that the player still has to get paid an appropriate salary by the club, which will fall inside the cap.

The club can't just pay Barrett $1,000 under the cap & get a sponsor to make up the remainder.

Immortal said:
it only benefits the bigger clubs, not the strugglers

Which do you think we are?

The point is that our best bet is junior dispensation.

The proposed change will benefit Brisbane, Canterbury and Easts much more then it would us as they have good administrators and recruitment programs while ours are woeful.