What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

shiznit

Coach
I gotta say I’m pretty disappointed in that trailer... I would like to have got at least a small glimpse of Venom.

Danish

Referee
Facebook strikes back against the group sabotaging Black Panther’s Rotten Tomatoes rating
The group claimed responsibility for The Last Jedi’s low score on the site

Screen_Shot_2017_06_09_at_10.51.58_PM.0.png

Marvel
Facebook has reportedly removed a group that claimed to have sabotaged the score of The Last Jedi on Rotten Tomatoes, and also planned to review-bomb Disney’s upcoming film Black Panther, according to Marvel Studio News.

With Black Panther coming to theaters this month, a member of the group “Down With Disney’s Treatment of Franchises and its Fanboys” created an event to leave low ratings and negative reviews for the film as well as Solo: A Star Wars Story. The group also indicated they would set up additional events for Avengers: Infinity War and the company’s Marvel Netflix shows. Following reports of the plan, Rotten Tomatoes issued a comment saying it welcomes passionate fans who want to debate a film’s merits, but it doesn’t condone hate speech. It also indicated that its employees were preparing to monitor and address spam reviews. Here’s the full statement:

We at Rotten Tomatoes are proud to have become a platform for passionate fans to debate and discuss entertainment and we take that responsibility seriously. While we respect our fans’ diverse opinions, we do not condone hate speech. Our team of security, network and social experts continue to closely monitor our platforms and any users who engage in such activities will be blocked from our site and their comments removed as quickly as possible.
Facebook appears to have removed the group. Marvel Studio News posted a screenshot of a notification saying the group has been removed and that it violated the company’s community standards.

The group described itself as a pro-DC Expanded Universe fan page that opposes Disney’s Marvel and Star Wars franchises. It’s the same group that claimed responsibility for lowering the score of Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi in December 2017, complaining that the film included “SJW” concepts by featuring prominent female characters that spoke down to the film’s male characters. They also claimed that the poor reviews for Warner Bros.’ DC films were due to Disney manipulating the press. Users claimed they were using bots to further lower the Marvel projects’ ratings, and they directed other like-minded fans to the page to post negative reviews. Following the December reports, Rotten Tomatoes issued a statement saying that while there was an uptick in reviews, they hadn’t “determined there to be any problems.”

The Verge has reached out to Facebook for comment and will update with any response.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...panther-rotten-tomatoes-last-jedi-review-bomb

Stay classy, DC fans

Spocky must surely be a member of that group, right?

I couldn't help myself and took a peak at a few of the reviews for Black Panther on RT..... Luckily you don't have to worry about any spoilers since a majority of them just talk about how "important" the movie is and laud it as being the "first" movie with a black hero.

You know, besides the dozens and dozens of movies that Will Smith, Wesley Snipes, Jamie Foxx, Denzel Washington, Samuel L Jackson, and many more have made.

shiznit

Coach
Spocky must surely be a member of that group, right?

I couldn't help myself and took a peak at a few of the reviews for Black Panther on RT..... Luckily you don't have to worry about any spoilers since a majority of them just talk about how "important" the movie is and laud it as being the "first" movie with a black hero.

You know, besides the dozens and dozens of movies that Will Smith, Wesley Snipes, Jamie Foxx, Denzel Washington, Samuel L Jackson, and many more have made.
There is SOME significance to it...

It’s not that it has a black hero...

it’s that it’s a Black hero in an African setting where 95% of the cast is black.

I mean you brought up Blade... Wesley Snipes is the lead... but apart from him I can’t remember another black character.

That’s not to say I have any issues with Blade... I loved Blade.

But the fact that Marvel has made a film like this is significant... but IMO not enough to automatically be above any type of criticism like you get the feeling it might become.

I think the sad thing about it all is that because it’s seen as this almost statement type film by Marvel they actually look past the actual strength of the film.

Black, white, green, purple or whatever skin colour... this cast is pretty f**king good... old pros like Angela Bassett, Forrest Whittaker, Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis with young talent like Chadwick Boseman, Michael B Jordan and Lupita Nyong’o.

And directed by a good young talent like Ryan Coogler.

It had a lot going for it before colour is brought into it.

Danish

Referee
There is SOME significance to it...

It’s not that it has a black hero...

it’s that it’s a Black hero in an African setting where 95% of the cast is black.

I mean you brought up Blade... Wesley Snipes is the lead... but apart from him I can’t remember another black character.

That’s not to say I have any issues with Blade... I loved Blade.

But the fact that Marvel has made a film like this is significant... but IMO not enough to automatically be above any type of criticism like you get the feeling it might become.

I think the sad thing about it all is that because it’s seen as this almost statement type film by Marvel they actually look past the actual strength of the film.

Black, white, green, purple or whatever skin colour... this cast is pretty f**king good... old pros like Angela Bassett, Forrest Whittaker, Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis with young talent like Chadwick Boseman, Michael B Jordan and Lupita Nyong’o.

And directed by a good young talent like Ryan Coogler.

It had a lot going for it before colour is brought into it.

The female lead was also black in Blade? Other than her and Blade the only major roles were whistler and the vampires.

Hell the Fast & Furious franchise has carried an extremely diverse cast for years as well.

Don't get me wrong, I think the movie is cast brilliantly and will be a good watch. I just hope that we can eventually be at a point where a movie can just happen to have a primarily black cast without that automatically becoming the primary focus of every piece written about it as though the casting was some sort of deliberate political statement.

IMO the big issue is that hollywood as a general rule is much more racist and sexist than most of society, and so can't help but pat itself on the back whenever it does something so trivial as - shock, horror - allowing a black person or female to head up a movie.

Frederick

Staff member
Sad Desperate Trolls Now Attacking Black PantherScore on IMDb
by Kaila Hale-Stern | 4:42 pm, February 9th, 2018

upload_2018-2-11_14-37-53.png
pifIRjnv-650x366.jpeg

Not content since Facebook cracked down on the nefarious plans to sabotage Black Panther’s Rotten Tomatoes rating because racism, a brigade of under-the-bridge dwellers have turned their attention to the Internet Movie Database.

Imagine being on your deathbed and seeing your life flash before your eyes and your greatest accomplishments amount to “complaining that a girl is the lead in Star Wars” and “messing with a superhero movie’s review score because it stars black people.” It’s really hard to understand why more franchises aren’t celebrating these guys’ obvious cultural superiority.

The troll dolls are at their idiot shenanigans again, targeting Black Panther‘s audience review score on IMDb—and because this operation is run by some real Einsteins, they’re flooding the movie with low scores prior to its wide release. As Comicbook.com reports:

4,966 people gave Black Panther a 10/10 rating. From there, everything seemed to even out, with the ratings scores from nine to two receiving anywhere from 66 to 270 votes. This is where things get skewed. 1,820 people, 23.1 percent of voters, gave the film a 1 out of 10, the lowest score possible. That kind of massive disdain for the movie doesn’t add up with the trend being followed with the rest of the votes.

“There’s no chance that 8,000 people have already seen and rated Black Panther,” Comicbook.com points out. Nope! But there are a few thousand disgruntled and hateful people who tell themselves they’re … protesting something with this bold activity.

Social justice? Feminists? Racial equality? What are we fighting against today in the troll army? Oh, yeah: striking a blow against the insidious forces of diverse superhero representation—by trying to lower the score count on a movie that is going to be massive, important, and incredibly successful regardless.

Although I’m angry that we have to have this happening at all, the best take to take to heart is Black Panther star Chadwick Boseman on the troll campaign: “Whatever they do online doesn’t really matter.” Thinking about getting that printed on a t-shirt.

https://www.themarysue.com/trolls-sabotage-black-panther-imdb-rating/

So, so sad.

bileduct

Coach
So let me get this straight...

5000 people gave it 10/10 before they've even seen the film, but the problem is the 1800 people that gave it 1/10.

Yeah... sad.

But not quite as sad as getting your news from The Mary Sue.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
Meh.... People are just going to ignore the audience reaction to these movies on these websites now... positive or negative.

Cinema Score is better anyway... they base the score on exit polls people complete on the way out of the film...

Reactions: PJ

Game_Breaker

Coach
Audience reactions are a better measure imo

The critics praised the last Jedi - audience didn’t

Critics hated the greatest showman - it’s a box office success

shiznit

Coach
Audience reactions are a better measure imo

The critics praised the last Jedi - audience didn’t

Critics hated the greatest showman - it’s a box office success
I value critics score ALOT higher than audience scores on RT.

In fact until this whole Star Wars thing i just flat out ignored it.

But i also don’t make the critic score the be all and end all... I usually have about 5 or 6 critics that I normally place value in as in the past they seem to fall in line with how ended up feeling about films.

As for box office success.... I thought the greatest showman was dogshit... and I didn’t read a single review for that...

The Mrs dragged my ass to it.... :joy::joy: