The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'The Music & Movies Forum' started by nöyd, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Game_Breaker

Game_Breaker First Grade

They need more than just the time stone

They’ll have to do a Thanos and collect all stones, and “unclick” Thanos’ work

Meaning when it comes to collecting the soul stone, someone has to die

Dr Strange needed Tony to be alive for this reality, hence why he bargained with Thanos to spare his life

2. Lemon Squash

Lemon Squash Bench

I love to poo-poo Comic Book movies, and it’s been pretty easy to do so with same generic shit we have been getting the last 3-4 years.

So I went into this with quite low expectations. How would they juggle so many characters? How would they keep us guessing? Could they make it fun but keep the lame jokes to a minimum?

Well they fkn nailed it....Absolutely fkn nailed it, magnificent. Honestly apart from a few tiny insignificant things I couldn’t really fault it at all.

Just Epic.

Zoidberg likes this.
  3. Danish

Danish Referee

Just got back fro IW...

I dunno why, but i left the theatre bored. The first hour they handled as well as could be expected trying to rope in all these characters together, and it seemed to be building up pretty well. But the ending? Come on man.

For 10 years we have been told that Thanos simply cannot be allowed to collect all the infinity stones as it will be the end of the universe, but I guess that was all fake news. Thanos’s grand master plan has come to fruition, half the universe is eliminated.... but all will be restored after the next movie with the profitable characters brought back from the dead, rendering the entire Thanos gauntlet story arc meaningless. The stakes are completely removed as far as I’m concerned.

The MCU is too big and profitable for its own good IMO. No movie is ever allowed to actually have an actual conclusion, with each just acting as a preview for the next.

4. PJ

PJ Bench

Pretty much how I felt, excluding the final paragraph.

All the deaths at the end were meaningless and obviously so.

5. Mr Angry

Mr Angry Not a Referee

when dies the rest of the movie come out?

6. Danish

Danish Referee

Same time next year

7. vvvrulz

vvvrulz Coach

Well we don't know that for sure yet, even though you're likely to be right.

If they have a cop-out ending after this, that's a failure of that second movie, however judging this movie on it's own I thought it was a great ending.

8. PJ

PJ Bench

How can it be a great ending when you know it is going to be undone?

9. vvvrulz

vvvrulz Coach

... but we don’t know.

And a movie that’s part of a wider whole can still be great e.g. Fellowship of the Ring

10. PJ

PJ Bench

I'll come on and publicly apologise if it doesn't, but with half the deceased members being signed on for sequels I'm pretty confident that we do know.

And yeah, a part can be great still, but you said a great ending, and that I really can't understand.

11. vvvrulz

vvvrulz Coach

Well ok, ending as in run time of the movie, I didn’t mean conclusion.

Marvel movies never conclude.

12. PJ

PJ Bench

OK I misunderstood what you meant, but for mine that whole series of deaths really detracted from the whole thing and I was curious as to why I seem to be in the minority. hence my questions

13. Danish

Danish Referee

Yep, it just felt stupid. Hell even if they do actually stay dead it is stupid, since there was every indication while it was happening that this is all reversible.

When you introduce a literal rewind button to your entire universe, all consequences seem meaningless.

PJ likes this.
  14. McNulty

McNulty Juniors

15. hrundi99

hrundi99 First Grade

It's a tradition of comics for characters to die and then come back to life, so you have to accept that this will be a part of it. It's up to Marvel if they can do it in an original and/or satisfying way.

Gamora is supposedly trapped in the Soul Stone. I'd suggest that at least Heimdall and Loki aren't coming back, and based on their contracts and Chris Evans' comments, I'd say both Iron Man and cap will die or "retire" in Avengers 4. Thor was going to be added to that list but supposedly with the success of Ragnarok that may not be the case as Hemsworth really enjoyed it.

16. shiznit

shiznit Coach

Downey Jr absolutely loves Taika... apparently people are thinking Iron Man may appear on whatever MCU film Taika does next...

I honestly think he will just end up working on one of Taika’s indie films.

17. shiznit

shiznit Coach

I’m just gonna leave this here... :joy::joy:

After the bleakness(and awesomeness) of IW... I’m really looking forward to the change of tone... :joy::joy:

sensesmaybenumbed likes this.
  18. gUt

gUt Coach

language and spoilers warning

19. vvvrulz

vvvrulz Coach

Absolutely; in fact the comic books are atrocious when it comes to keeping characters dead. I think it all started with the death of Superman starting a precedence where some stupid deus ex machina resurrected just about everyone you can imagine.

It's easy to be critical of the flawed story telling of the Marvel movies, and I'm often one of those critics, but the source material is just as bad if not worse when it comes to 'deaths', plot holes and continuity errors. If the aim is to be true to the comics then the movies do that just fine.

20. shiznit

shiznit Coach

I don’t know who this guy is...

But dude needs to lay off the juice... and the f**king baby oil... :joy::joy:

He looks like a white knock off version of the fake ray lewis... :joy::joy: