What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The comp leaders (Warriors/Saints)...how far will they go?

Meapro Ham

Juniors
I think the dragons and tigers will begin to come back to the pack now. They have been playing above themselves and will struggle to maintain it.

Warriors will stay up there. Warriors v Storm GF.

Clifferd

Coach
I think the dragons and tigers will begin to come back to the pack now. They have been playing above themselves and will struggle to maintain it.

Warriors will stay up there. Warriors v Storm GF.

Kinda harsh. Tigers have been playing exceptional up until that game last night I think they’re entitled to drop 1 game

We were terrible yet lost on the siren, i think we’ll bounce back. Saints too

Meapro Ham

Juniors
Kinda harsh. Tigers have been playing exceptional up until that game last night I think they’re entitled to drop 1 game

We were terrible yet lost on the siren, i think we’ll bounce back. Saints too

I don’t think it’s harsh for the tigers, just realistic. Yes they have been exceptional but have they been overachieving at a level they can’t maintain? Probably in my opinion. We’ll see.

davi

Juniors
This game hasn't gone without controversy, as McGregor comments suggest:

“They obviously came here with a plan, they gave away a lot of penalties and defended their line well – whether that was part of it or not I’m not sure.”

I agree, and its very easy to say this is sour grapes but Storm the other night gave a host of penalties near there try line. It does a couple of things it gives their defenders a rest, takes away momentum and stifles the opposition attack, and makes it a stop start which frustrates the fans watching the game.

If teams continue do this crap it up to refs to start sin binning players. I didn't watch the Warriors/Dragons game so I can't comment but I noticed it the other night in the Broncs/Storm game and its happened in other games I have watched this year as well.

Iafeta

Referee
Didn’t watch it but agree anyway lol

A lot of the penalties were rubbish. The non calls were worse. They got a flood of about 4 penalties off the back of RTS being behind the dummy half, yet the guy playing the ball kicked it back like a bull at a rodeo into RTS and somehow this incurred the first of the penalties.

There was another one where we had 3 go against us in 5 minutes where Ewan Aitken was 3 metres offside at marker and Issac Luke caught him but dropped it in the tackle, but this was play on, they got the ball and we got back to back to back penalties against us.

The reason the Dragons didn’t give away too many at their end is every time we got down there we executed

Perth Red

Post Whore
Take it out of the hands of the refs discretion. 3 straight penalties inside 20 the 4th one walks. That way everyone knows the consequences and takes the pressure off the refs.

Life's Good

Coach

“They obviously came here with a plan, they gave away a lot of penalties and defended their line well – whether that was part of it or not I’m not sure.”

I agree, and its very easy to say this is sour grapes but Storm the other night gave a host of penalties near there try line. It does a couple of things it gives their defenders a rest, takes away momentum and stifles the opposition attack, and makes it a stop start which frustrates the fans watching the game.

If teams continue do this crap it up to refs to start sin binning players. I didn't watch the Warriors/Dragons game so I can't comment but I noticed it the other night in the Broncs/Storm game and its happened in other games I have watched this year as well.

It wasn’t controversial at all(save the bunker no try to Lafai). The Warriors had a game plan to spoil us which they executed to perfection despite giving away a lot of penalties. If they hadn’t been penalised it would have been controversial.
Warriors just played better on the night.

SBD82

Coach

The refs did bun a warriors player on Friday.

To be fair to the warriors, I don't think it was a deliberate ploy to give away penalties. I think they knew that they needed to limit the time that Widdop, Hunt and Dufty had to do their thing, and they did a great job getting off their line to do it. They mistimed their execution and got pinged.

Iafeta

Referee
It was line speed. The risk is you get caught offside on occasion. Every team when they are on their own line are going to try to get off their line quick otherwise there’s just way too much space, too much momentum, and not far to travel. Most times teams get it right most often, with the occasional slip. As did the Warriors. Most penalties were offside on their line calls, not holding down etc.

The Warriors issue on Friday night was possession and territory. 38% possession is one stat I’ve heard, and clearly territory well against them. A lot of sets defending their own line. ALL teams will give up offside penalties as they try to take our time and space.

Nonetheless, the Warriors took their very limited chances when it mattered.

Life's Good

Coach
The refs did bun a warriors player on Friday.

To be fair to the warriors, I don't think it was a deliberate ploy to give away penalties. I think they knew that they needed to limit the time that Widdop, Hunt and Dufty had to do their thing, and they did a great job getting off their line to do it. They mistimed their execution and got pinged.

Homage to our Kiwi friends?

Izz

Bench
Warriors to not lose again this season, Saints to not win again this season. You heard it here first!

In all seriousness, I'm just stoked to see my lads putting in every week. Haven't had that feeling since 2011

Clifferd

Coach
I don’t think it’s harsh for the tigers, just realistic. Yes they have been exceptional but have they been overachieving at a level they can’t maintain? Probably in my opinion. We’ll see.

We’ve been hammered with injuries unfortunately, we haven’t been able to put a full strength team on the park yet this season.

First time we got monstered in the forwards last night yet we only lost on the last play of the game, wouldn’t call it dire straits just yet. But we are missing Packer and Lawrence 100%